The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   She eats like a bird (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23036)

lumberjim 06-29-2010 08:28 AM

She eats like a bird

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//20...12_370x278.jpg

Quote:

(CBS) For many people, the idea of eating whatever you want without gaining weight sounds like a dream. But it's a life long battle for Lizzie Velasquez, a skeletally thin 21-year-old from Austin, Texas who is unable to put on weight even though she consumes 5,000 to 8,000 calories a day, according to the English paper the Telegraph.

She eats every 15-20 minutes, downing everything from chocolate, pizza, doughnuts, and ice cream, according to the Telegraph. But the 5 foot 2-inch Texan still wears size triple zero clothes - and gets "pretty upset when people accuse me of being anorexic."
Doctors think Velasquez has neonatal progeroid syndrome, a rare condition that causes fat loss in the face and body and accelerated aging, according to the Telegraph. People with the disorder tend to have triangular faces with a beak-shaped nose, prominent veins and sparse scalp hair, according to the website of University of Texas Southwestern Medical School.
I just want to know one thing...... if you ingest and burn that many calories in a day....do you excrete a commensurate amount, or......what? I mean, you'd be on the loo all day long too, wouldn't you?

Pie 06-29-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 667238)
you'd be on the loo all day long too

Good lord, the Brits have finally gotten to you.

lumberjim 06-29-2010 11:46 AM

posh!

TheMercenary 06-29-2010 12:22 PM

She looks like a bird as well.

Clodfobble 06-29-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim
I just want to know one thing...... if you ingest and burn that many calories in a day....do you excrete a commensurate amount, or......what? I mean, you'd be on the loo all day long too, wouldn't you?

I suspect she's not actually burning those calories, but passing them right through, unabsorbed. So, yes, I bet she's excreting a commensurate amount, but I imagine it's still just gigantic dumps at regular intervals, not normal-sized ones every 15-20 minutes.

lumberjim 06-29-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

gigantic dumps at regular intervals
GOOD BAND NAME

monster 07-01-2010 03:50 PM

I think you're wasted at a car dealership, Jim. You should be a chat show host -you ask all the right questions.

I dunno about normal poop though -where's the roughage in that high cal diet? You'd think she'd be bunged up until next week.

lumberjim 07-01-2010 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 668058)
I think you're wasted at a car dealership, Jim.

I try to wait until I get home to get wasted!

lookout123 07-01-2010 04:52 PM

I saw her on some cable show awhile back. If I remember correctly she has a higher than normal metabolism and an inability to absorb the food. She didn't talk about her pooping habits though. It was painful to watch her walk across campus because I just kept waiting for her to fall over and break into pieces.

Undertoad 07-01-2010 05:15 PM

But us fat people are completely responsible for our condition, right?

Clodfobble 07-01-2010 06:20 PM

Well you have to admit, there are a lot more people walking around who have recovered from their fatness than there are people who have recovered from her condition.

But to be honest, I do actually think there's a possibility that binging on sugars and carbs as the article seems to imply she's doing may actually be contributing to the condition.

ZenGum 07-01-2010 08:59 PM

She's a bit stringy. Maybe of you got a couple of dozen, you could make a pie.

monster 07-01-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 668073)
But us fat people are completely responsible for our condition, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 668098)
Well you have to admit, there are a lot more people walking around who have recovered from their fatness than there are people who have recovered from her condition..

It's a rare condition. Let's assume a similar condition exists for super-absorption. So, Yup, most fat people are still at fault. me included. Unless you're working out three hours a day and eating only 1000 calories and still not losing weight, no, you don't get a pass.

/harsh

xoxoxoBruce 07-02-2010 01:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It's interesting, she has boobs which are all fat, and she has belly fat, just all the appendages are thin.

monster 07-02-2010 09:09 AM

That is weird, but characterizes the syndrome they're currently diagnosing her with. Poor woman.