The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   United States "Free Speech" Zones (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=3998)

hot_pastrami 09-22-2003 04:14 PM

United States "Free Speech" Zones

I had no idea that "Free Speech" zones existed in the U.S. Apprently the U.S. Constitution is a localized phenomenon now. Protesters, peaceful or otherwise, are threatened with arrest if they fail to contain themselves within a chainlinked "Free Speech" zone when the President, or other Superior Humans, are in the vicinity. Naturally, the supporters of applicable Superior Human are allowed much more freedom.

Luckily, some individuals are fighting the oppression, and winning to a degree. But it's pretty scary to watch the People in Power try to wipe their ass with the Constitution.

SteveDallas 09-22-2003 05:36 PM

What's the problem? Surely you don't quibble with the concept of increased security for the President. The first amendment right of free speech and protest doesn't require that any body actually LISTEN to the protest.

Next you're gonna tell me you object to the Ashcroft Amendment making evangelical Christianity the official religion of the US government.

hot_pastrami 09-22-2003 05:37 PM

Oh, I also object to the Ashcroft Amendment making evangelical Christianity the official religion of the US government.

Nathan Barnes 09-22-2003 06:02 PM

Sir, would you please step inside the free speech zone to say that sort of thing? :mad:

xoxoxoBruce 09-22-2003 07:37 PM

Quote:

What's the problem? Surely you don't quibble with the concept of increased security for the President. The first amendment right of free speech and protest doesn't require that any body actually LISTEN to the protest.
I guess it really doesn't matter if they get near the Prez because they're not going to change his mind anyway. What's important is they get near the press. ;)

russotto 09-23-2003 02:56 PM

Hey, when you've got a government which wants to build a 14-foot high double-walled pipe-topped concrete fence with automatic machine guns in the middle around Independence Hall, you KNOW the Constitution is a localized phenomenon.

(OK, it's an 8-foot high iron fence and not the Berlin wall, but the principle is the same)

Happy Monkey 07-08-2004 02:51 PM

The insanity continues

From this post, a few more instances:

West Virginia
Wisconsin
Florida

Radar 07-08-2004 03:04 PM

Let's see, if I'm a terrorist, and they are allowing the people holding pro-Bush signs near Bush but locking away the anti-Bush people in a cage a half a mile away, which sign would I hold? I guess it stands to reason that those holding pro-Bush signs must be terrorists. :D

Here's a nice little story for you.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...type=printable

marichiko 07-08-2004 05:57 PM

This reminds me of an incident that occurred in my town a year or two back. A group of middle-aged Catholic nuns had organized a peace demonstration near an air force base on the outskirts of town. Its all prairie out there without alot of discernable landmarks. The nuns were arrested because they were holding hands and saying a prayer and they stepped over the invisible line onto the air force base. The judge at their trial tried to punish them by ordering them to commit community service. One of the nun's stood up in court and demanded that if she were to be "punished" that she wanted to be sent to jail. She argued that community service was not only part of her vocation, but that community service should be viewed as an honor, not a punishment. She said that to accept community service as a punishment made a mockery of her life time devotion to bettering the lives of those around her. She had a good point.

busterb 07-08-2004 06:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dotty's view of the big deal over VP.

Cyber Wolf 07-09-2004 07:24 AM

Dotty makes a good point too :D