The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Special Joys of the Holiday Season (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7374)

wolf 12-11-2004 02:38 PM

Special Joys of the Holiday Season

There are some events that just really make the holidays right.

With the commercialization of Ramahanukwanzmas, I become less and less interested in dealing with the whole thing.

I love giving (and getting) gifts, but overall, it's having less and less appeal each year, especially since the trees and music seem to be up in stores before Halloween these days.

As I said, though, there are certain things that are just so overfull with wonderfulness that you can't help but smile.

Seeing A Charlie Brown Christmas, along with certain other holiday specials and movies is another.

I can watch A Christmas Story endlessly, and typically do when the turner station runs it for 24 uninterrupted hours. I also have this on DVD.

But today, one of the most special moments occured.

I heard sirens.

But there was a special quality to them ... and was there a scent of gingerbread and peppermint in the air and faint tinkle of bells?? I ran to the front door and threw it open, to find what I had most hoped to see!!

Fire Department Santa!!! Hooray, hoorah.

I waved and cried out gaily, "Hello Santa! Hello Fire Company!" Santa "ho-ho-hoed" and waved back, as did the fireman in bunker gear alongside him.

The only hint of sadness is that this year, as in other years, I was the only person in my court (about 40 units), that so much as bothered to open the door and wave.

wolf 12-11-2004 02:53 PM

and oh yeah, it's time for that timeless holiday classic

xoxoxoBruce 12-11-2004 05:28 PM

Quote:

I was the only person in my court (about 40 units), that so much as bothered to open the door and wave.
Do your neighbors usually vanish when you open your door? :lol2:

Roosta 12-11-2004 07:45 PM

Myself and the good wifey were talking about Christmas today. It's all turned too commercial here. We haven't had snow on Christmas day for years. All the kiddies under 10 years old must wonder why their cards have santas and snow on them.

Nightsong 12-13-2004 12:41 AM

My joy is eyestrain

1 Attachment(s)
I am going to take a chance and throw at cellerites the horrible thing I threw at my mother for Christmas last year. No not the road kill coat. It is an attached zip file of a windows .DOC file. It is holiday fair that I used to make my mother all mushy so she would buy me soemthing.

My loving wife read it and insisted I use it as a Christmas gift so to speak for email friends. She then took print outs to give our childrens teachers as a holiday offering. Feel free to ignore it as it is a sentimental long winded fiction(so like my posts) but should you happen to wade through it I would like opinions. Does it capture the holiday spirit? Does it make you think a little about what makes a holiday, any holiday worth it?

Before you scream relavance to thread! I started thinking of it after the comment about Christmas being so commercial. THought I would offer a Holiday thought on it. :blush: Plus I tend to write little holiday stories so that is how my family really knows I am into the season.

xoxoxoBruce 12-13-2004 09:30 PM

I read it. I liked it. I emailed it. I printed. ;)

ladysycamore 12-14-2004 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf

Ohmygod...LOL!
:D :eek: :3_eyes: