The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Jesus says.... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16966)

xoxoxoBruce 04-03-2008 12:37 AM

Jesus says....

1 Attachment(s)
I can believe this.

Cicero 04-03-2008 01:20 AM

:D
Then Mr Jesus and I might get along.

Cloud 04-03-2008 08:51 AM

I can believe it, too; Jesus was probably more tolerant than any modern Christian. After all, to forgive is divine . . .

(total hijack here): I was just thinking of a couple of things related to Christianity--

1) How very ODD it is that millions of people practice ritual cannibalism every day; regularly eating their god, and no one seems to remark how very . . . odd that is.

2) and how the crucifiction--the sacrifice of a divine being--was a powerful psychic event, affecting us all still for millenia

Elspode 04-03-2008 09:10 AM

Human sacrifice is an old, old practice. Interestingly, the view of the practice by modern society tends to be that the weak and infirm were culled to satisfy whatever deity the culture was looking to influence. However, the very nature of sacrifice demands that it actually *be* a sacrifice; in other words, a person or thing that really does hurt to let go of.

Jesus was therefore a *worthy* sacrifice. I mean, c'mon...you don't just go around killing the Son of God everyday.

I'm not saying that I buy Christian dogma...clearly, I do not. However, they got the nature of sacrifice spot on with this part of the tale.

Flint 04-03-2008 10:36 AM

Nice one, Brewster. That's the Jesus I know.

Funny, all one has to do is actually read the Bible... . . . Where does all the confusion come from ???

Shawnee123 04-03-2008 11:00 AM

Jesus spoke, then went to practice with his death metal garage band.

Trilby 04-03-2008 01:42 PM

Jesus mused, "who shall I bomb?"

Cicero 04-03-2008 01:46 PM

~Give all your money to the poor whether you think they deserve it or not.~

That Kicks ass. Thank you virtual Jesus!!
:)

HungLikeJesus 04-03-2008 02:04 PM

But, if you give all your money to the poor, won't you then be poor and they'll have to give it all back?

I save so much time and effort by just keeping it.

Cicero 04-03-2008 02:13 PM

No...I can't really do that, but it's an awesome thought. I'm more of a believer in Ayn Rand's version of "selfishness".
One of the very few thing I like about Ayn Rand that is...
:)
I also believe in helping the poor to sustain theirselves and not just give random money and donations away. (there is a time and place for it in dire emergencies but it's better that they make their own money) New thread idea. Thank you virtual Hung Like Jesus!

xoxoxoBruce 04-03-2008 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 443508)
Where does all the confusion come from

Top management MBAs.

lumberjim 04-03-2008 11:22 PM

jesus was a commie? and a canadian? what the christ?!

Flint 04-04-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 443508)
Where does all the confusion come from ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 443657)
Top management MBAs.

I think you over-heated your brain with the hair dryer.

Which is impossible which you would know if you weren't using your childish emotions instead of scientific proven facts.

piercehawkeye45 04-04-2008 06:13 PM

Pssh....white Jesus.

Sundae 04-04-2008 06:31 PM

... writing in English Jesus too...

Virtual Jesus is okay. But I still don't like his Dad much.
Abraham is rewarded by God for being willing to kill Isaac, no questions. God shows his love for the world, not by changing his mind on the whole damnation thing, not by showering us with blessings, but by killing his only son.

God likes a bit of infanticide it seems.