The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The George Bush Lock Box Thread (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7343)

Happy Monkey 12-08-2004 10:00 AM

It's George Bush's fault that whistleblowers on torture get forcibly locked up as delusional. (link fixed)

dar512 12-08-2004 10:49 AM

Bad link HM.

Beestie 12-08-2004 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaguar
Not far off it. More an issue of poor corperate governance. It's the job of the board to keep renumeration reasonable to maxamise profit for shareholders (at least in a public company).

I blame Dubya for jag's mis-underUtilization of the word remuneration.

;)

Troubleshooter 12-08-2004 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beestie
I blame Dubya for jag's mis-underUtilization of the word remuneration.

;)

I blame Bush's horrid syllabication for people's unwillingness to hear words of that magnitude.

wolf 12-08-2004 01:27 PM

Because of George Bush I am able to have long nights of untroubled sleep.

Hmmm.

That's not what you were looking for, was it.

ladysycamore 12-08-2004 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512
Bad link HM.

Bush's fault! :D

jinx 12-13-2004 01:53 PM

I bought a bunch of clothes with a tractor theme for my nephew for xmas and I just need a toy tractor to finish him up. Went to Toysrus (because Fao Schwarz is gone, thanks Walmart) to find one and they didn't have any. Tons of guns and tanks of every make and model, but not one tractor. Of course I blame that bastard Bush...

404Error 12-14-2004 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
I bought a bunch of clothes with a tractor theme for my nephew for xmas and I just need a toy tractor to finish him up. Went to Toysrus (because Fao Schwarz is gone, thanks Walmart) to find one and they didn't have any. Tons of guns and tanks of every make and model, but not one tractor. Of course I blame that bastard Bush...

Perhaps once the war on terror is over you can hammer those guns into plowshares. :rolleyes:

Torrere 12-14-2004 02:07 AM

"Oh, and I'm *not* going to mention the election, OK? God ordained he should win, it's as simple as that - he freely admitted it. (Bush, that is. Not God.) (And, apparently, at time of writing, Bush still acknowledges there's a distinction between the two.)"
- Mil Millington

russotto 12-14-2004 09:46 AM

The Christmas gift-giving chores are George Bush's fault. So is Needless-Markup valet parking at the Mall. So are the crowds at the mall, and Internet companies who lie about ship times.

Bah Humbug

--- E.T. Scrooge

Griff 12-29-2004 12:40 PM

I knew I wouldn't have to wait long for Amy Goodman to blame GW for the Tsunami. I was interested in how she would acheive it. It seems the 35 mill or whatever the US has pledged is approximately what GWs owners are spending on the inaugural...

glatt 12-29-2004 02:30 PM

You know, I honestly don't get the inaugural hoopla for second term presidents. Granted, I hate Bush and will bash him over nothing, but I didn't get it for Clinton either.

I work near the White House. When the weather is nice, I go for a stroll around the Elipse and White House. They have been working on the viewing stand where Bush will sit for two months now. They are using HUGE steel girders to support the roof. These girders are sized to hold up an entire 12 story office building, but they are only being used to hold up a roof. Even if they make the roof out of inch thick steel (which they very well could be doing, I haven't been by in a few weeks) these beams are way oversized.

They could have built an actual house or two with the effort that is going into a viewing stand that will hold the president for 45 minutes to watch a parade. It just seems like a tremendous waste.

I think the country as a whole wouldn't care if the inauguration was held inside, behind closed doors, and broadcast on TV. You could still have the parade outside without the Prez. It's not like he actually pays attention to it anyway.

Griff 12-29-2004 02:46 PM

http://images.encarta.msn.com/xrefme...9/t029100a.jpg

Is it possible folks who go for this 2nd inaugural stuff are all thinking about the famous actor on the balcony in this shot?

wolf 12-30-2004 01:25 AM

I was going to say something similar, but you said it more eloquently ...

The sturdiness of the construction serves a security purpose.

glatt 12-30-2004 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
Is it possible folks who go for this 2nd inaugural stuff are all thinking about the famous actor on the balcony in this shot?

I don't understand your point. If it is a reference to a need for tight security, then I still don't know what that has to do with having a big party for a 2nd term Prez.

My point is simply that a lot of money and effort is being spent to commemorate nothing. Bush was president, and will continue to be president. There is no change. There is nothing new or different. There is no need to mark this particular date as being momentous, because it will be just like the day before. It is not momentous.

I fully understand and agree with the idea of throwing a party when a new president comes in. But second term presidents are not new. I don't think it calls for a party, and this one is more extravagant than the last one.

Private funds pay for all the balls, but the Federal Government shuts down for the day. All the employees get a paid day off. The streets are closed for the parade, and security costs go through the roof as every cop in DC gets put on overtime, and all Secret Service agents do too. Expensive stands are built. Planning sessions are made. Etc. Etc. The Federal Government spends a lot of money to mark the passage from Bush to Bush.

I felt the same way for Clinton, but was less strongly opposed back then, because I got the day off, and I voted for the guy.

This hoopla should only be for 1st term presidents.