The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A Rural Area with Moderate Politics (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35220)

Griff 07-07-2020 07:01 AM

A Rural Area with Moderate Politics

There has been loose talk of relocating Grifftopia for retirement. Pete and I would rather be in the mountains maybe on a river. 10+ acres within an hour or two of good paddling, hiking, mountain biking, etc...

One holdup is right wing Boogaloo culture. We are living in it here and it appears to be if not growing, more active and vocal. Pete is getting nervous about our neighborhood.

I'm looking to find a place not exceedingly far from Philly and Boston. My natural inclination is the Adirondacks since we know them well, but it appears price and politics are linked. The more right wing an area is the lower the housing costs, so I'm looking for some balance. I'm wondering if Vermont might have some options but I don't know the scene.

Clodfobble 07-07-2020 09:09 AM

Will there be an issue selling Grifftopia, since you built it by hand without a mortgage lien for paperwork?

Griff 07-07-2020 09:24 AM

I imagine the selling price will be lower due to the owner-build, but the lack of lien won't matter as we exist on paper at the court house. There are 50 acres and full mineral (gas) right to balance the owner-build. I would think marketing it as a hunting camp could be a good strategy. This area also has very low taxes which you can tell by the schools or by reading local Bacefook. lol

I'm seeing attractive Vermont properties under 200k so it's possible we won't take a beating on this place. We also need more snow, which I failed to put in my initial post. Vermont has a lot of skiing infrastructure which is cool.

Clodfobble 07-07-2020 09:53 AM

Don't know about affordability, but I hear parts of Colorado are also on that reasonable border between liberal and conservative.

Flint 07-07-2020 12:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Griff, what are you considering Moderate politics? Something like this?

(pictured: 2016, and 2012 general election results from my county)

BigV 07-07-2020 01:33 PM

Flint, you do nice work.

Griff 07-07-2020 02:05 PM

That would look moderate to me.

Griff 07-07-2020 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Of course I'm from here:

Griff 07-07-2020 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
county:

Griff 07-07-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 1054953)
Don't know about affordability, but I hear parts of Colorado are also on that reasonable border between liberal and conservative.

I like the idea, but we want it to be driveable for the girls.

monster 07-07-2020 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1054968)
Of course I'm from here:

RUUUUUUNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Griff 07-07-2020 04:25 PM

:bonk:

xoxoxoBruce 07-07-2020 11:56 PM

Of course you've take into account one or both girls might move at any time. If you lived in a motor-home you'd be all set. ;)

Griff 07-08-2020 06:02 AM

Griff 07-08-2020 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 1054963)
Griff, what are you considering Moderate politics? Something like this?

(pictured: 2016, and 2012 general election results from my county)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1054967)
That would look moderate to me.

When I was in Upstate NY our district looked more like flints except slight majority Republican. I found Moderate Republicanism to be acceptable in that time and place. I guess the Gingrich revolution and Fox News have worked their magic.

The "get your guns out the election is fake" was ramping up when I left Facebook. Now that white people have been given the thumbs up on showing up armed for political events, I wonder how the Super-Patriots will react if Trump fails to steal the election? If he does manage a steal, I wonder how Democrats will fair in the streets? I will still remove all political signage the day after the election, a nicety Cult 45 has not maintained.

/rant

I'm guessing most truly rural places have become similarly radicalized. I guess pulling voting districts out of the record would be helpful. Keeping an eye out for a purple rural town.