The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Shanghai Dog Slaughter (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11387)

capnhowdy 08-03-2006 06:43 PM

Shanghai Dog Slaughter

from the Macon Telegraph 08/02/06

Quote:

Shanghai, China
China slaughtered 50,000 dogs in a government ordered crackdown after 3 people died of rabies, sparking unusually pointed criticism in state media Tuesday and an outcry from animal rights activists.
Health experts said the brutal policy pointed to deep weaknesses in the health care infrastructure in China, where only 3 percent of are vaccinated against rabies and more than 2,000 people die of the disease each year.
The five day slaughter in Mouding County in Yunan province in southwestern China ended Sunday and spared only military guard dogs and police canine units.
Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported.
:mad:

What's wrong with these people?

xoxoxoBruce 08-03-2006 10:34 PM

Communist doctrine says everyone shares the good and bad. Rather than kill someone's dog you kill everyone's dog.
Running things on a national scale means every decision/order affects billions of people.

They're making space shots but much of the country is a century behind. :(

Tonchi 08-04-2006 02:24 AM

And the poor probably ate pretty well that week :neutral:

Ibby 08-04-2006 06:09 AM

Actually, I didn't really bad an eye when I first read that story... That's pretty run-of-the-mill for China. When SARS hit, they rounded up every person who got so much as a cold, as well as every family member of them, and put them in, quite simply, concentration camps. 'S just what they do. I don't think Bruce's logic even occurred to them, I think they just think "Rabies = Dogs.... so all dogs must go!"

Griff 08-04-2006 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Running things on a national scale means every decision/order affects billions of people.

They're making space shots but much of the country is a century behind. :(

Kind of reminds me of the Kansas school board... or oilmen in the White House. Putting a small minority of radicals in charge of policy effecting millions does not make much sense.

Spexxvet 08-04-2006 08:41 AM

New Chinese slogan "space shots, not rabies shots". Do you think it was more cost effective to kill all the dogs, rather than manage the disease through dog and/or human healthcare? Will they kill all the other varmints, if there's a breakout in another species? This kind of behavior could lead to major trouble down the road.

And then there's the point that how they treat pets is indicative of how they treat people. For instance

Quote:

China's mines are by far the world's deadliest, with some 6,300 deaths last year in mine floods, explosions and fires
http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/02/14/china.mine/

And we enable and reward this behavior by our obsession with buying cheap Chinese products.

Griff 08-04-2006 12:42 PM

Dogs being walked were seized from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, the Shanghai Daily newspaper reported.
The funny thing about beating dogs to death... a person could contract rabies.

glatt 08-04-2006 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff
The funny thing about beating dogs to death... a person could contract rabies.

That is what I would call poetic justice.

Flint 08-04-2006 01:07 PM

AudioGalaxy "Kill Your Own Dog for 63 Cents!"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvmph_Lode
Well, rabid Chinese people, that could be a problem. The ones who weren't rabid clubbed 50,000 dogs to death, so you can imagine.

Trilby 08-04-2006 01:22 PM

Ya know what is UBERfunny? The EU and Oz are looking to china for the coming new leadership! I've read blogs wherein disgruntled Brits etc. (much like our own JayMcGee) are rooting for China to join hands with the EU to form a coalition to stand up to the mean ol' USA.

Hey, Ghandi said it: You can judge a society by the way they treat their animals.

And as for pollution--nobody does it better than China. When clouds of toxic waste make it all the way across the Pacific into Seattle--there's a problem.

Griff 08-04-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
Ya know what is UBERfunny? The EU and Oz are looking to china for the coming new leadership! I've read blogs wherein disgruntled Brits etc. (much like our own JayMcGee) are rooting for China to join hands with the EU to form a coalition to stand up to the mean ol' USA.

We so hafta get off this planet.

Flint 08-04-2006 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna

And as for pollution--nobody does it better than China.

China's infrastructure is still based on coal-burning locomotives.

Ibby 08-04-2006 02:23 PM

Ever been to north China in the winter?

EVERYONE burns coal. At home. For warmth. No joke, EVERYONE. You do it or you freeze.

9th Engineer 08-04-2006 03:12 PM

I was in Beijing for two weeks in June and the pollution there was unbelievable. If you are in the city the light level is spread out by the huge smog clouds and it's just a hazy glow most of the day. At night the clouds reflected the light back down and they blocked the sun in the day.

Ibby 08-04-2006 04:54 PM

Just wait till you're there in the middle of a sandstorm. The Gobi desert gets closer to the city every day, and every month or two in the summer you get sandstorms all across the city from it. The sky turns that grainy yellow colour you see in old photographs, and you can't breathe through the mix of smog, sand, and grit.

There are no white buildings in Beijing. Only gray.