The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Error moving files or folders...blah blah blah (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18988)

footfootfoot 12-13-2008 11:00 PM

Error moving files or folders...blah blah blah

The f8king computer won't let me drag and drop files from one folder to another. It claims, the lying sack of shit, that the files are in use by another program. bullshit. no other programs are running, asswipe.

:mad2:

Clodfobble 12-13-2008 11:11 PM

Some programs are stupid and don't know they've quit. I've got a couple of audio programs that are especially bad about that. Reboot and it should be fine.

footfootfoot 12-13-2008 11:23 PM

OK I'm trusting you 'cause I think you are a genius. If I'm not back in a few days send someone around to check on me...

ZenGum 12-14-2008 01:17 AM

"This folder cannot be deleted because it contains items which do not exist."

Actual error message from a mac network.

Sperlock 12-14-2008 11:16 AM

I've often found that while a program might not appear in the applications tab of the task manager, it can show up in processes. I had Windows complain about a Word document that couldn't be moved due to it being in use by another program, and sure enough, WINWORD.EXE was a running process, even though Word was not open.

Pie 12-14-2008 11:25 AM

Outlook can sometimes keep Word open (it uses Word as its editor).

SteveDallas 12-14-2008 05:24 PM

It's possible to create a file. inside a folder... inside another folder... etc... so that the complete path, from c: on, of the file is too long for Windows to handle. (At this point you're asking.. well why did it let me create the file?? Good question.) It'll give errors saying the file is in use or read-only when you try to use it. You can rename some of the folders in the tree to make it shorter and it would work. I don't know if something like that's happening here.

footfootfoot 12-14-2008 07:01 PM

Hmm, I will try that Steve. It is somewhat buried, but it lets me move some of them and then stops letting me move them. If I reboot I can move the ones it wouldn't let me but after a few files the problem eturns.

This all started happening after I loaded some shitty ass software called regcure in an attempt to fix a problem that I didn't fully understand and I now see it is sort of like learning about sex and birth control from nine year old boys.

For some reason, I can't restore a point before that day. I am now going to be more religious about setting restore points.

I'm wondering if I have to reinstall windows if the registry clearing software actually remove some important stuff. I've since removed the software.

dar512 12-14-2008 08:00 PM

May be a legitimate problem, but you might want to check for viruses too.

footfootfoot 12-14-2008 09:22 PM

Yeah, Iam running Prevx, AVG, Spybot/teatimer and Zone alarm. That probably explains why things are slow, but none of them show a virus or anything, BUT task manager shows about a 2-4% CPU usage when no program is running, and at times it spikes up to 80% if I am running firefox and a couple of chubby photoshop files.

I have a guru who volunteered to take on the case...

Maui Nick 12-14-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 513502)
Some programs are stupid and don't know they've quit. I've got a couple of audio programs that are especially bad about that. Reboot and it should be fine.

Firefox can be bad about that, as well. Don't have to reboot, though --- just find firefox.exe in the Processes list of Windows Task Manager and end that particular process.

Maui Nick 12-14-2008 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 513714)
Yeah, Iam running Prevx, AVG, Spybot/teatimer and Zone alarm. That probably explains why things are slow, but none of them show a virus or anything, BUT task manager shows about a 2-4% CPU usage when no program is running, and at times it spikes up to 80% if I am running firefox and a couple of chubby photoshop files.

I have a guru who volunteered to take on the case...

Especially ZA. Completely disappointed by their recent efforts, which are seriously bloated. With my recent switch back to Windows from Ubuntu Linux, I've also switched to Comodo firewall.

lookout123 12-15-2008 11:41 AM

Since this is a thread on moving files can someone help me? I'm am 99.9% technologically impaired. My old desktop was home to all my photos and itunes stuff. At the advice of a few intelligent people I came to realize that was bad. Photos are now all backed up on external HD and disk. That part is cool.

Can someone please explain in 3rd grade terminology how to get my itunes to run off of my external HD?

HungLikeJesus 12-15-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 513825)

Can someone please explain in 3rd grade terminology how to get my itunes to run off of my external HD?

First step is to change the name of the external HD to i: drive.

Undertoad 12-15-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Get your 3rd grader to do it?