The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Signs of the times (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=2172)

Urbane Guerrilla 09-24-2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1058467)
Same attitudes brought about something called the Nazi party. Complete with justification because jews, et al were a threat to all. They were told that. So it must be true.

They need assault weapons to protect themselves using same reasoning. Adults who are still children. Nazi party targeted (recruited) same type people.

I see your chiefest function in a gunfight will be that of a sandbag. Presumably you are built rather like a sandbag, with shoes.

Griff 09-25-2020 07:35 AM

I'm not really sure death threats are appropriate here. It does illuminate the truth that some gun nuts are armed for intimidation not self-defense.

BigV 09-25-2020 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1058538)
I'm not really sure death threats are appropriate here. It does illuminate the truth that some gun nuts are armed for intimidation not self-defense.

Yes, the emphasis on "obliged to respect" kinda seals it, doesn't it?

Our founding documents state

Quote:

“We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness….”
and nothing about a subset of those men who are armed, y'know, so others are obliged to respect them.

What widespread gun possession does is reduce the margin for error to the length and force of a trigger pull. Bad decisions are executed faster, more emphatically, more fatally. Being armed does not exempt one from making bad decisions, that's a human trait we all share.

The news is overflowing with reports of shootings that did not need to happen. Can the term unjustified be used? Yes, in the vernacular; no, in the strictest legal sense in many cases. And not just in the horrific stories about overreactions by police. Civilians are just as liable to make rash choices that have tragic consequences.

Let me ask you about Jake Gardner, you can google that name and see the news stories where it appears. He had the right to a fair trial but that's moot now that he's dead. How did a gun oblige others to respect his rights? Of course it didn't. All it did was accelerate the consequences of a bad decision.

Let me ask one more thing. When has using your power to kill ever obliged someone to respect your rights?

Diaphone Jim 09-26-2020 11:15 AM

A 'scope and a rainbow magazine on his assault rifle.
That guy is conflicted.

Ibby 09-26-2020 11:33 AM

ain't a rainbow

tw 09-26-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diaphone Jim (Post 1058570)
That guy is conflicted.

Black lives matter more when one carries an assault rifle.

UG said so. It must be true.

BigV 09-26-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibby (Post 1058571)

not talking about the sticker, but the shape of the ammunition magazine, like a "rainbow"

xoxoxoBruce 09-26-2020 11:19 PM

Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out.

Griff 09-27-2020 06:24 AM

Kill 'em all, let God Clod sort 'em out, seems more fair.

Clodfobble 09-27-2020 08:28 AM

Looks like it was just a bureaucratic typo that put me in charge, like in "Brazil." Guess I'll just have to accept my fate as a supreme deity. You can't fight City Hall.

sexobon 09-27-2020 08:47 AM

Get Santa Claus to help you. He's already done a lot of the legwork: making lists, checking them twice, keeping track of who's been naughty or nice.

xoxoxoBruce 09-27-2020 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 1058601)
Get Santa Claus to help you. He's already done a lot of the legwork: making lists, checking them twice, keeping track of who's been naughty or nice.

Can't wait for the part where you rise up on a giant clam shell. :yum:

Gravdigr 09-28-2020 08:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 71607

Urbane Guerrilla 09-30-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 1058572)
Black lives matter more when one carries an assault rifle.

UG said so. It must be true.

Rights matter more when you have an assault rifle. You can stop authoritarians with assault rifles -- in batches of twenty if your marksmanship is good. Batches of thirty if you have those magazines to hand, like the guy with the painted magazine in his AR. You have those rights you can enforce -- regardless of anything militated against them. Thus, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Which is civilization. Anything other -- isn't.

I say so -- but you carefully refuse to learn it. What a low character you amount to. I am thoughtful, you are less so. I commit to liberty and human rights. You in particular have never done that. That's what's wrong with you.

Urbane Guerrilla 09-30-2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 1058538)
I'm not really sure death threats are present here. It does illuminate the truth that some gun nuts are armed for intimidation not self-defense.

Brought you round to accuracy. I recollect having gotten on your case before. As is evident between your lines, you value your fear more than you value your liberty. I don't.

You must intimidate tyrants. Or they'll feel free to kill you. I think you'd find that awkward.