The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   8/16/2005: Kiss, 60 years later (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8945)

Undertoad 08-16-2005 10:14 AM

8/16/2005: Kiss, 60 years later

http://cellar.org/2005/60yrkiss.jpg

xoB catches this. The official caption says Carl Muscarello and Edith Shane, who claim to be the subjects in Alfred Eisenstaedt's famous VJ Day photograph, commemorate the image's 60th anniversary next to a statue of their historic kiss in New York's Times Square. But it's not an IotD without the kissers on the right.

Bullitt 08-16-2005 10:17 AM

"The times they are a changin' "

mrnoodle 08-16-2005 10:23 AM

the mic position gave me a double take as well.

i bet they already owned the sailor hats.

glatt 08-16-2005 10:25 AM

Well, HELLO sailor!

mlandman 08-16-2005 10:25 AM

attention whore

:eek:

look look we're gay! See, we're gay! Everyone needs to know.... we're gay!

Nice positioning of the microphone in his hand, too.

<sigh>

bobspoon 08-16-2005 10:58 AM

Come on, we have to call bullshit on that pair of old fraudsters. I know we all shrink a bit as we get older, but the height disparity between the man and the woman is ridiculous - he's probably a foot and a half taller than her - whereas they're of the same height in the original picture.. He's taller than the sailor in the original picture by a fair way, to my eye, whereas she's gotten stumpier.

http://www.temple.edu/photo/photogra...mousworks.html

...did I mention that I was at Woodstock? And at the wall in '89...

Neurotica 08-16-2005 12:15 PM

mlandman--
So do you consider every opposite-sex couple that kisses in public to be flaunting their heterosexuality? Or is dispalying affection in public without being called an "attention whore" some sort of "right" conferred by heterosexual privilege?

Bullitt 08-16-2005 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobspoon
Come on, we have to call bullshit on that pair of old fraudsters. I know we all shrink a bit as we get older, but the height disparity between the man and the woman is ridiculous - he's probably a foot and a half taller than her - whereas they're of the same height in the original picture.. He's taller than the sailor in the original picture by a fair way, to my eye, whereas she's gotten stumpier.
...did I mention that I was at Woodstock? And at the wall in '89...

the statue is on a pedastal.. compare the positions of the feet between the people and the statue

xant 08-16-2005 12:29 PM

Bullitt, he's not talking about their heights, he's mainly talking about their relative heights, and I see it too.

* The man appears to be taller than the man in the statue. (Is the statue accurate wrt scale in the photo?)
* The woman may or may not be shorter. It's hard to tell, and old people shrink anyway, so I'm not going to make much of that.
* The difference between their two heights is much greater.

Even accounting for shrinkage in the woman, the man appears to have gotten a lot taller. It doesn't seem like this would be such a hard thing to verify, but on the surface they don't look right.

barefoot serpent 08-16-2005 12:42 PM

is that an omnidirectional in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?

Elspode 08-16-2005 12:55 PM

I would far rather see two people kissing, regardless of gender, than something more offensive like, say, fighting, suing each other, ripping each other off. Kissing is good.

BTW...did anyone else click on this IOTD title thinking they were going to see Gene Simmons in a wheelchair?

mrnoodle 08-16-2005 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
BTW...did anyone else click on this IOTD title thinking they were going to see Gene Simmons in a wheelchair?

Me. :lol:

re: height
my dad grew several inches from the age of 20-30 (he's only 5'9" or 10" still). My brother is 29, and he grew an inch (from 6'1" to 6'2") in the last 2 years. I don't think the height discrepancy is necessarily a dealbreaker.

Happy Monkey 08-16-2005 01:19 PM

Plus, in the original photo, the sailor is bending over, so it's hard to tell exactly what the height difference is.

Karenv 08-16-2005 01:39 PM

Besides women shrink a lot more than men do- men lose bone to osteoporosis, but since they have more to begin with it rarely affects height. And women get more curvature. Plus, notice that she is wearing heels in the original and sneakers today.

And need we mention that the scupture is not a photograph even if it was done from a photograph? So some of the height differential may be due to artistic license.

Clodfobble 08-16-2005 03:54 PM

My grandmother used to be 5'8". She is now 4'10".

I read somewhere that this lady is the only one who ever claimed to be the woman in the photo, but that almost a dozen men have claimed to be the man. I think they picked this one guy not because they were sure, but because they wanted "the couple" for the commemoration ceremony.

I think it's cute that she'll only let him kiss her on the cheek this time.