The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hitchhikers (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=13508)

Griff 03-08-2007 10:53 AM

Hitchhikers

Do you still pick them up? Are they creepier than they used to be? I picked up a guy a couple weeks ago who truly gave me the creeps. I usually enjoy the tale of the road but this last one got me thinking about leaving the crazies to the professionals.

elSicomoro 03-08-2007 10:56 AM

I've never done it and never would, though maybe I'd think differently if I lived in a place like Grifftopia. But if you're not comfortable with it, by all means, don't do it anymore.

Flint 03-08-2007 10:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Sundae 03-08-2007 11:17 AM

As I don't have a car at the moment my response isn't strictly true, but I have voted Yes, Still do.

In fact I would evaluate each situation on its own merits. I've picked up hitchikers before and would again if the situation was right. I probably wouldn't after dark, just because the world feels more dangerous then, even if it isn't in fact. And sadly, I'd probably go past a hitchiker when they most need a lift - in the dark, in the rain and on a busy road - just because I wouldn't notice them in time to react safely and pull over.

Shawnee123 03-08-2007 11:51 AM

I thought about this the other day. Guy was walking along a road that was a long way from anything in either direction. I just couldn't bring myself to do it, though I wanted to. A woman alone with no butcher knife, not safe.

Back in HS, my friend and I picked up a guy. He was a serviceman hitching home (to our hometown) to surprise his parents. He was a really nice guy and it felt great to get him home just a bit sooner.

I hate to sound the old fogey, but it does seem that times are different.

elSicomoro 03-08-2007 12:00 PM

For the record, I wouldn't pick up any of you fuckers if you were hitching. :)

Trilby 03-08-2007 02:01 PM

I used to hitchhike myself. Always with another person though--still, pretty stupid. I wouldn't pick anyone up now--except a woman with children.

Sundae 03-08-2007 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 321361)
Back in HS, my friend and I picked up a guy. He was a serviceman hitching home (to our hometown) to surprise his parents. He was a really nice guy and it felt great to get him home just a bit sooner.

According to this it was an exchange ;)
Quote:

Ass, gas, or grass...nobody rides for free!
Fess up - what was it?

Perry Winkle 03-08-2007 02:15 PM

If I were driving alone I'd pick up a hitchhiker, depending on their crazy-eyes factor.

Who would pick up someone who's obviously a touring cyclist with a broken bike 20+ miles from the nearest town?

Shawnee123 03-08-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 321418)

Fess up - what was it?

Ahhh, I was just an innocent young lass back in those days. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, I was young and thin, and my friend had her brother's old AMC Rebel. Those were the beautiful days.

glatt 03-08-2007 02:48 PM

When I was a teenager, I picked another teenager up at an airport in Auburn, Maine because taxi service wasn't available there and I could see he was in a tough situation with no ride. His destination was just a couple blocks from mine.

I've been hitchhiking a few times in Europe with a friend. One guy who picked us up was kind of crazy. He claimed he saw a bee flying and drove off the main road and onto some farmer's dirt road to chase it. A minute later, we were parked in front of a bee hive, looking at the bees. After a few moments talking about how great bees are, we piled back into the car and were back on our way.

I'd never pick anyone up now unless it was obvious they were harmless and were in distress.

jinx 03-08-2007 04:07 PM

I used to (LJ didn't approve) but now I always have the kids with me so I don't.

footfootfoot 03-08-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 321418)

Fess up - what was it?

It's actually "Gas, Grass, or Ass... Nobody rides free."

footfootfoot 03-08-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grant (Post 321420)
If I were driving alone I'd pick up a hitchhiker, depending on their crazy-eyes factor.

Who would pick up someone who's obviously a touring cyclist with a broken bike 20+ miles from the nearest town?

I'd do that. Unless of course he was like 6' 8" tall, then prolly not.:p

rkzenrage 03-08-2007 04:51 PM

Had a bad experience, stopped me. I used to pick em' up.