The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hermaphrodites (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11865)

Pangloss62 09-28-2006 02:55 PM

Hermaphrodites

I'm lucky to have a pretty funny and intelligent father. He contributes a "Fascinating Factoid" to my blog about once a month. He's retired and has muscular neuropathy, so it gives him something to do. Recently, "TheFaz" and I have been discussing the absurdity of creationism and those who insist marriage MUST be between a man and a women. To this argument we always said "But what about hermaphrodites? Who are they supposed to marry?" I doubt many Fundies even think about that, but if they did, I would forward my father's most recent "Factoid" below. I thought some of you Cellarites would enjoy it:

Dr. Kinbote’s Fascinating Factoids !

#13-Hermaphrodites

Note: Not for the faint hearted or delicate!

Hermaphroditism, the ability of an organism to have both fully functioning male & female reproductive organs, occurs in about 15% of animal species. There are three kinds:

(1)...simultaneous

(2)...age sequential

(3) opportunistic

The first form seems to be confined to invertabrates, such as snails & flatworms. The other forms seem to occur in fishes-Type 2 is seen in Clownfish, type 3 in Wrasse (the death of a male “harem” leader prompts one of the normally female fish to develop into a male)

Behavior in type 1 is truly bizarre:

Certain worms use their penises (they have two) in duels. Each tries to spray the other with as much sperm as possible. They have a body opening, but this does not lead to the ovaries. Instead, the ejaculate is immersed in a tissue -destroying fluid. Once the sperm penetrate (this can be anywhere) , they find their way to the eggs (exactly how they accomplish this is not known). Moreover, in some species, internal plumbing diverts a considerable part of the sperm to the digestive tract, Presumably for nutritive use.

How’s that for multi-tasking!

Another specie of worm uses its penis (ouch!) to puncture the skin of its “partner”. The injected sperm find their way (somehow) to the eggs. Some slugs will bite off the penis of the other. (The bananna

slug, mascot of the U.C. Santa Cruz atheletic teams does this.

There are at least 5 species of snails that shoot darts (a very sharp spike, made of a calcium compound, about 9 millimeters long ) into their “mate”. This spike is covered with a gel that enhances fertilization. Another species of snail uses this spike as a dagger, often slashing its “mate” over a thousand times in one encounter.

So far, there is no known specie of simultaneous hermaphrodite that mates with itself . The behavior seems to imply a strong urge to play the male role. Is male chauvinism then a natural thing, & not a cultural one? Who knows!

One thing is certain-all this should really give pause to the “intelligent design”crowd.

rkzenrage 09-28-2006 02:56 PM

Damn slugs can party!

Elspode 09-28-2006 02:57 PM

Sounds like the work of Satan to me.

Trilby 09-28-2006 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangloss62
those who insist marriage MUST be between a man and a women.

I think most men would be ok with marriage being defined as 'between a man and... women' ;)

you cutie, you :)

SteveDallas 09-28-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
Sounds like the work of Satan to me.

My mother, an avid gardener, thinks slugs are the work of Satan irrespective of their sexuality. She's always up for learning about new ways to kill them. (A pie plate of beer is her favorite so far.)

rkzenrage 09-28-2006 03:07 PM

ANY two consenting adults who are in love.

9th Engineer 09-28-2006 03:42 PM

why stop at two? (I'm actually serious, no sarcasm)

xoxoxoBruce 09-28-2006 06:42 PM

I used to work with a hermaphrodite. He was a dick and a pussy. :cool:

rkzenrage 09-28-2006 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 9th Engineer
why stop at two? (I'm actually serious, no sarcasm)

& I agree with you.

9th Engineer 09-28-2006 07:33 PM

ok, I'll mark you as clean for the double standards report

Elspode 09-29-2006 07:19 AM

[devil's advocate] I believe the Right's next cliche response is something like, "Well what about people and animals? Or people and children?" [/devil's advocate]

Pangloss62 09-29-2006 07:41 AM

People and Animals

Quote:

I believe the Right's next cliche response is something like, "Well what about people and animals? Or people and children?"
I've heard them say that already. Rick Santorum for one:

"In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality. That's not to pick on homosexuality. It's not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be."

AP: OK, without being too gory or graphic, so if somebody is homosexual, you would argue that they should not have sex?

SANTORUM: We have laws in states, like the one at the Supreme Court right now, that has sodomy laws and they were there for a purpose. Because, again, I would argue, they undermine the basic tenets of our society and the family. And if the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything.

dar512 09-29-2006 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
I think most men would be ok with marriage being defined as 'between a man and... women' ;)

you cutie, you :)

A Mormon onced challenged Mark Twain to show him in the Bible where it says that bigamy was not allowed. MT turned to the passage that says, "No man shall serve two masters".

vrai_rennx 09-29-2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

And if the Supreme Court says that you have the right to consensual sex within your home, then you have the right to bigamy, you have the right to polygamy, you have the right to incest, you have the right to adultery. You have the right to anything.
You can't outlaw homosexual sex using this argument without making a threesome illegal. You can outlaw gay marriage with this argument (not necessarily justified, though) since polygamy is illegal, but not the sex itself.

Last time I check, adultery wasn't illegal? And I don't think incest is illegal, unless it's with a minor... Then it's abuse, and definitely not right.

Pangloss62 09-29-2006 10:43 AM

I read a fascinaing article about a real human hermaphrodite (intersex).

http://www.amhersttimes.com/index.ph...2860&Itemid=27

In it she relates this about her mom's decision to "repair" her abnormality:

Chase says that her own mother’s discomfort with and ignorance about sexuality contributed to the decision to have Chase’s clitoris amputated. When Chase flew from Japan to Florida to discuss her childhood with her mother, she also quizzed her mother about sex. “No, I don’t know what human genitals look like, exactly,” Chase’s mother told her. “I have never looked at myself, and I never looked closely at my children. The doctor said your clitoris had to go. Mine never meant anything to me, so I didn’t think it was wrong to remove yours.”

I hate to say it, but that sounds like MY mom!:worried: How I got out of that house without being completely warped I'll never know.:neutral: