The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   hey you! Star Wars Geek! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=8378)

Snakeadelic 11-26-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 164153)
Ah. I never saw that, I don't think.
The Star Wars Holiday Special is the worst television program I have ever seen, entertaining in its sheer awfulness. It follows Chewbacca's family (his wife Mala, his father Itchy, and his son Lumpy), waiting for Chewie to come home for Life Day, and watching music videos.

Its horrible-ness is truly LEGENDARY.

Snakeadelic 11-26-2016 08:38 AM

lookout123 said:

yeah - they really screwed up on the R2 bit IMO. if R2 was so high tech then, why was he so relatively low tech and slow moving 20 years later?

My theory: The Empire started including behavior governors and location homers in upgrades further and further down the electronic "food chain", as bureaucracy proliferated. This always breeds official paranoia, leading to rules Nazis and the exponential growth of paperwork. A droid in use by the Rebel Alliance would be a great mole, so maybe they stopped upgrading R2-D2 and C-3PO and all the others who were attached to Alliance major players. Think how far tech would advance in 20 years in a massive conglomeration of spacefaring cultures...and how much worse poverty could get for those deliberately staying off the Empire's radar.

Snakeadelic 11-26-2016 08:48 AM

We're not HUGE Star Wars geeks at my house, but enough to have some fun. For starters, I have a "Fangirl Goon Squad" of toys 'guarding' my computer room. They consist of a modern Loki, an original-run 1978 removable-cape Darth Vader, cape still present but light saber broken as it had been a beloved daily-use toy, and the 12" tall Final Wars Godzilla whose shoulders they stand on. The Darth Vader action figure belonged to my sweetie (who just turned 45) back when it was new (in 1978), along with enough others to nearly fill the Darth Vader Head action figure tote that's still in the coat closet. We also have his cereal-box cards (raise your hand if you remember THOSE), nearly complete set, his Millennium Falcon to action-figure scale which we will find a way to hang from the ceiling, and my 2 LP's mentioned in a previous post.

One day years ago we were sitting on the couch watching something together. I was spurred to wonder what exactly 'TIE' fighter stood for, since all I could remember was that it was an acronym for something. My sweetie, not even looking at me, says "Twin Ion Engine." I called him GeekMaster Z (this was back when hip-hop was supplanting grunge as MTV's reason for existing) for YEARS.

Gravdigr 11-26-2016 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakeadelic (Post 974604)
...I was spurred to wonder what exactly 'TIE' fighter stood for, since all I could remember was that it was an acronym for something. My sweetie, not even looking at me, says "Twin Ion Engine"...

So, I learned something today, anyway.:)

Gravdigr 01-16-2020 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Baby Yoda hard boiled eggs!!

Attachment 69522

Want!

Gravdigr 05-25-2020 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 70649

Griff 05-26-2020 06:12 AM

Ha!