The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   August 2, 2007: Seven-legged lamb (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14961)

Undertoad 08-02-2007 10:47 AM

August 2, 2007: Seven-legged lamb

http://cellar.org/2007/7leglamb.jpg

Oh this one's so obviously eaten by the second comment that I'll point it out to start: leg of lamb for the whole family AND the neighbors.

This one comes from the Telegraph, via Spluch, and it's featured today instead of tomorrow because the lambykins was to be put down.
Quote:

Veterinarian Steve Williams at the Canterbury Vets clinic in the rural town of Methven said he believed an error during embryo formation had resulted in the lamb being born polydactyl -- with many legs -- a condition that occurs once in several million sheep.

He said the lamb was also hermaphrodite and missing a portion of its bowel so was unable to pass faeces and would have to be destroyed.
Even the Telegraph gets there before we do... ending its story with a single sentence paragraph:
Quote:

There was no word on whether any of the legs would find their way onto a dinner plate.

Shawnee123 08-02-2007 10:49 AM

That is so sad. :(

Flint 08-02-2007 10:55 AM

BOOOOOO!!!

Jeers to Undertoad, for making jokes about this very serious, very sad subject. It has a sad little look on its face!

Shawnee123 08-02-2007 10:57 AM

You all can make fun of me if you want (not saying you were, Flint), but this picture almost has me in tears.

Flint 08-02-2007 11:01 AM

I'm not saying you said I was, but I'm not. I wouldn't make fun of you for having compassion for the suffering of a sentient being.

Uisge Beatha 08-02-2007 11:21 AM

This is a sad sight; I understand you completely, Shawnee. I wouldn't go for UT's throat, though. It is interesting as well as distressing, and perhaps a touch of levity might help to deal with it. Besides, he was mainly pointing out what The Telegraph had stated.

That said, I may use that tissue for my eyes instead of my nose right about now. :mecry:

Shawnee123 08-02-2007 11:26 AM

UT knows we would never go for his throat. We're more the castrating type. ;)

No, I understand about joking about dark things. I was just pointing out how very sad it is to me.

Emrikol 08-02-2007 12:03 PM

Here, this might come in handy ;) (You can hate me all you want)

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 leg of lamb, about 5 to 6 pounds
* salt and pepper
* 3 to 4 garlic cloves, crushed
* 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
* 1 soup can water
* 2 tablespoons vinegar
* 1 onion, sliced

PREPARATION:
Rub leg of lamb with salt, pepper, and crushed garlic. Add beef broth, water, vinegar, and onion slices to the roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of the lamb, not touching bone.

Put lamb in preheated 450° oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350° and continue roasting until thermometer registers 145° to 150° for medium-rare, or 160° to 170° for well-done. Serve garnished with fresh parsley, if desired. If desired, simmer and reduce drippings, skim fat, and serve with the lamb.
Serves 8.

wolf 08-02-2007 12:18 PM

No protest from the Royal Society to Save Freaks of Nature yet on the destruction?

Seven legged lamb that would have exploded from it's digestion backing up has to be some sort of sign of the Apocalypse.

Uisge Beatha 08-02-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf
Seven legged lamb that would have exploded from it's digestion backing up has to be some sort of sign of the Apocalypse.

No, I think that was something about seven seals, not seven lambs. :rolleyes:

smurfalicious 08-02-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emrikol (Post 370798)
Here, this might come in handy ;) (You can hate me all you want)

oh, you're so b-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-d.
I'll go back to my corner now.

freshnesschronic 08-02-2007 01:23 PM

Can it walk?
How did it get that old without being able to pass feces?
That's just a flat out weird looking sight. Octolamb. Minus one.

Sheldonrs 08-02-2007 01:59 PM

As a general rule, the life span of a lamb on a farm isn't all that long to begin with.

And I think it's kind of cute the way it is. I hope it's not in any pain though.

Undertoad 08-02-2007 02:13 PM

Old friend of mine had a baby with several birth defects, including an imperforate anus. The baby didn't make it. But I know that, for a while, the docs connected her bowel to her vag so that she could defecate there. Yup. And then they were waiting til she got stronger so they could operate and construct a hole, but she never got strong enough, and died 3 mos later.

gmr2048 08-02-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshnesschronic (Post 370832)
Can it walk?

Man, that would be one *creepy* sight!

"Spider-lamb, spider-lamb, does whatever a spider-lamb can"

-gary