The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Relationships (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Loneliness is about twice as dangerous as obesity (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29326)

Undertoad 08-25-2013 08:54 AM

Loneliness is about twice as dangerous as obesity

http://www.slate.com/articles/health...n_obesity.html

Quote:

I began to research loneliness and came across several alarming recent studies. Loneliness is not just making us sick, it is killing us. Loneliness is a serious health risk. Studies of elderly people and social isolation concluded that those without adequate social interaction were twice as likely to die prematurely.

The increased mortality risk is comparable to that from smoking. And loneliness is about twice as dangerous as obesity.

Social isolation impairs immune function and boosts inflammation, which can lead to arthritis, type II diabetes, and heart disease. Loneliness is breaking our hearts, but as a culture we rarely talk about it.

Loneliness has doubled: 40 percent of adults in two recent surveys said they were lonely, up from 20 percent in the 1980s.
We're all in this together people.

Lamplighter 08-25-2013 10:02 AM

UT, the Cellar has been treating this disorder for years.

Griff 08-25-2013 12:41 PM

Word.

Happy Monkey 08-26-2013 04:59 PM

I wonder if they accounted for "nobody around to call 911", or if they're just counting that as part of loneliness.

lumberjim 08-27-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 874143)
UT, the Cellar has been treating this disorder for years.

I can attest that this place has been invaluable* to me on multiple occasions for the treatment you refer to. And my health insurance covers the premiums too!**

*this word should literally be in that other thread.
** tip mug time.

Sundae 08-28-2013 07:26 AM

Do you think I can get aeroplane tickets on the NHS?

Gravdigr 08-29-2013 04:04 PM

Loneliness is about twice as dangerous as obesity

Good, cuz I'm fat, but I ain't lonely.

Never have been.

Even when I was alone.

tw 08-30-2013 07:02 PM

Quote:

Loneliness has doubled: 40 percent of adults in two recent surveys said they were lonely, up from 20 percent in the 1980s.
Too many McMansions. And too many cars sitting for hours on lonely, 'bumper to bumper' expressways. The modern life is killing us!

infinite monkey 08-31-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 874772)
Too many McMansions. And too many cars sitting for hours on lonely, 'bumper to bumper' expressways. The modern life is killing us!

Amen brother! I'm doing my part: I live in a hellhole and I'm unemployed. Now if i could stop loving interwebz And movies and gadgets i could go totally off-grid. :lol:

be-bop 09-03-2013 04:02 PM

Well I'm a fat bastard and I'm lonley as well so i guess I'm fucked then

cellarolson 09-10-2013 09:14 AM

Real loneliness is not necessarily limited to when you are alone - Bukowski

perhaps I should have put this in the poetry thread though. Either way, we're all doomed

Flint 06-01-2014 12:44 AM

And it's something that you can't fix about yourself, isn't it? It's something someone can do to you. When you've gone out on a limb to trust someone with your heart, and they betray you, attack you and eviscerate your self esteem, leave you for dead. You can be in the best shape of your life, high IQ, command an exorbitant salary, live in the center of popular culture, and wake up, bolt upright at 5am, slammed in the face with the visceral, glaring reality that you're all alone and don't remember what it's like to hold someone in your arms, to be comfortable trusting someone to get close to you. Everywhere you look, people happy being together. And you're pushing people away, because your heart has been torn apart. Suffering in isolation, insomnia, depression needs a better word. You didn't do this to yourself. If this is unhealthy, this is murder.

sexobon 06-01-2014 02:21 AM

Meh, there's plenty of fish in the sea.

Clodfobble 06-01-2014 06:12 AM

Sorry, Flint. :(

Griff 06-01-2014 11:14 AM

Jesus man, that's a deep cut.