The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   North Carolina bans gay marriage, Prez O endorses it! (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27320)

morethanpretty 05-09-2012 04:48 PM

North Carolina bans gay marriage, Prez O endorses it!

Here is a vid of the President endorsing gay marriage.

I was bummed about NC, but this lifts my spirits. Hopefully next term we'll get a national bill supporting marriage equality. Fuck DOMA!

piercehawkeye45 05-09-2012 05:53 PM

He said he personally supports gay marriage but will let states decide on its legality. Honestly, I believe that is the best move on his part.

Quote:

The president stressed that this is a personal position, and that he still supports the concept of states deciding the issue on their own. But he said he’s confident that more Americans will grow comfortable with gays and lesbians getting married, citing his own daughters’ comfort with the concept.
http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...-marriage.html

morethanpretty 05-09-2012 06:39 PM

His affirming his support is a small step but at least its forwards and not backwards.

classicman 05-09-2012 08:54 PM

Close election? What is he smoking?
This is gonna be a blowout.

regular.joe 05-09-2012 09:09 PM

Wow, the next NC Republican who bitches to me about how large and intrusive Government has become, and how the Government should stay the fuck out of his/her personal life....Really???? After what ya'll just demonstrated how you really feel about that in the poles?

tw 05-10-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 810848)

It frames the tea party, Fox News, and Limbaugh disciples as advocates of hate, useless confrontation, and wacko extremism. And creates a problem for a moderate like Romney. He must now side with extremists or demonstrate the moderate he really wants to be.

Hateful extremists always need a bogeyman. bin Laden is gone. So gays make an easy target. Hate is necessary to recruit and rally extremists. And to even attack moderate Republicans who are openly condemning the hate and confrontation advocated by wacko extremists.

regular.joe accurately exposed the contradiction. The most hateful do not think for themselves. Are told that conservatives use government to impose religion and their morals on all others. The most naive are told how a conservative must think. Then parrot the propaganda. Do not even understand an obvious contradiction.

What minority will become the next extremist's target? We know extremist gain power by promoting hate. No decent, educated, or informed person has a problem with gay marriage. Those who promote hate need that bogeyman.

DanaC 05-10-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 810863)
No decent, educated, or informed person has a problem with gay marriage. Those who promote hate need that bogeyman.

Every so often you really nail it, Tdub.

morethanpretty 05-10-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw (Post 810863)
It frames the tea party, Fox News, and Limbaugh disciples as advocates of hate, useless confrontation, and wacko extremism. And creates a problem for a moderate like Romney. He must now side with extremists or demonstrate the moderate he really wants to be.

Hateful extremists always need a bogeyman. bin Laden is gone. So gays make an easy target. Hate is necessary to recruit and rally extremists. And to even attack moderate Republicans who are openly condemning the hate and confrontation advocated by wacko extremists.

regular.joe accurately exposed the contradiction. The most hateful do not think for themselves. Are told that conservatives use government to impose religion and their morals on all others. The most naive are told how a conservative must think. Then parrot the propaganda. Do not even understand an obvious contradiction.

What minority will become the next extremist's target? We know extremist gain power by promoting hate. No decent, educated, or informed person has a problem with gay marriage. Those who promote hate need that bogeyman.

I love your post tw. This is the kind of rant I wish I could write so eloquently.

morethanpretty 05-10-2012 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 810848)
This is gonna be a blowout.

Huh? Who are you talking about?

WTF are you smoking?

DanaC 05-10-2012 06:01 AM

That's interesting. Most of the problem for Obama is the registered 'independent' voters, with whom Rommers has an apparent 6 point lead. But they're also the group most likely to refuse to specify or not to have decided yet.

be interesting to see what happens with that 4% of indies going for other candidates. As the election gets closer, will they stick to their guns on a third party candidate, or throw in their lot with one of the two contenders.

piercehawkeye45 05-10-2012 12:03 PM

Its the economy, stupid!

:runaway:

infinite monkey 05-10-2012 12:17 PM

Ehh, fuck NC anyway. Maybe they'll change their license plates from "First in Flight" (thanks to the Dayton Wright Brothers fucknecks...Kittyhawk was just a LOCATION) to "Ain't No Gays Gettin' Married HERE." They've long needed something actually true to hang their brains, I mean hats, on

Bunch of backwards freaks anyhow.

classicman 05-10-2012 12:30 PM

Mark my words, MTP...
When things are broken down into useful information, this isn't going to be a close election at all.

Happy Monkey 05-10-2012 12:33 PM

When has that ever happened, though?

classicman 05-10-2012 12:48 PM

Whats the estimated electoral breakdown HM - even at this pointless stage in the process of estimating?