The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   This feckin getting old bullship (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33732)

Griff 09-13-2018 05:37 PM

This feckin getting old bullship

Who is getting hearing aides? This mother fucker, that is all.

BigV 09-13-2018 05:56 PM

WHAT?

Griff 09-13-2018 05:59 PM

zackly

Clodfobble 09-13-2018 06:00 PM

Hearing aids are great! They protect you from further hearing loss. Better now than later.

Griff 09-13-2018 07:01 PM

I'm more interested in the Bluetooth function where I can pretend to be interested in a conversation while rocking out.

The bit about maintaining my brain cuz I can hear whats happening is kinda big as well.

orthodoc 09-13-2018 07:44 PM

You’ll be amazed at what you were missing.
Maintaining your brain is a pretty good benefit too.

xoxoxoBruce 09-13-2018 08:18 PM

I've been wearing them since 1981. Last time I was tested the Doc said the bad news is you can't hear shit, the good news is you can buy the $1,000 model because the $5,000 model with all the bells and whistles won't help.

Carruthers 09-14-2018 04:33 AM

Why are hearing aids such a global racket?

Some while ago Dad responded to an ad which promised him miraculous hearing improvement.

I told him that there was great risk of being taken to the cleaners and asked him to think again before I posted the letter.

However, once he makes up his mind forces greater than me aren't able to persuade him to change it.

An appointment was made and a few days later the sales bod turned up parking his very expensive car on our drive.

A lengthy 'consultation' took place with a thorough explanation of the technology and a demonstration of the aids.

This was followed by casual mention of the price. £3000!

After Dad expressed his surprise (understatement alert) the sales bod mustered as much dignity as he was able and left.

ETA:

At the beginning of his spiel, the salesmen went to great lengths to stress that they weren't 'used car salesmen' (his words) and were regulated by a statutory body.

After he left, I did an internet search of the chap's name and found that he had been fined a considerable sum by the regulatory body for various irregularities.

A search of Companies House data revealed a string of compulsory liquidations he'd been involved in.

Caveat emptor.

fargon 09-14-2018 10:20 AM

I've been wearing them for a couple of years, they do make a differance. And if you don't want to hear somebody you can turn them off.

Diaphone Jim 09-14-2018 11:31 AM

The VA gave me a pair of the 4 grand +/- (each) ones a few years back. They wouldn't spring for the kind that help with tinnitus.
I guess they improved my hearing in that I could hear the refrigerator, the wall clock and the neighbor's radio playing Rush Limbaugh in perfect fidelity.
Conversations and the rest of what I wanted were unchanged.
I gave them back after a month.

lumberjim 09-14-2018 12:09 PM

my dad got them a few years ago. changed his world. He's a musician, so....

good luck with your's PappyG!

xoxoxoBruce 09-14-2018 01:05 PM

When I first got them I religiously wiped them down with alcohol and placed them in their case every night, but kept getting ear inflammation and infections. Then I started just throwing them on my desk at night and knocking off any dried wax in the morning and bingo, no more problems.

Gravdigr 09-14-2018 01:18 PM

Too dirty for germs to live on them, I guess.

Clodfobble 09-14-2018 01:54 PM

More likely the residual alcohol killed the good bacteria in his ears, leaving him open to opportunistic infections. Like how mouthwash perpetuates your need for more mouthwash.

xoxoxoBruce 09-14-2018 08:48 PM

No residual, overnight between the alcohol and the ear. I'm thinking the squeaky clean plastic was irritating to the ear.