The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Random Thoughts (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29481)

Griff 03-22-2015 10:47 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/20/bu...by-summer.html

fargon 03-22-2015 10:57 AM

That scares the living shit rite out of me.

xoxoxoBruce 03-22-2015 01:53 PM

Regulators, Elon Musk, manufacturers, Google, pundits, fuck 'em all.
The elephant in the room... tah dah... insurance companies(along with their congressional toadies)... large and in charge. :yesnod:

Gravdigr 03-22-2015 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fargon (Post 924321)
That scares the living shit rite out of me.

Meh...It just adds one more name to the lawsuit.

:D

glatt 03-23-2015 07:38 AM

Driverless cars don't freak me out too much, what get's my interest is that this is just a software update. The car was already built with the relays and servos and crap to turn the steering wheel and engage the brakes. Has steering been done by wire on many cars for a while now, and I just haven't been paying attention because I drive an old car?

Actually that doesn't matter. I'm getting away from my point, which is that this was just a remote software update. If the manufacturer can do a remote software update that takes control of driving the car away from the owner in a car that is currently on the road, then can't hackers also do remote software updates that take control of the car? The manufacturer is using the power for good, but hackers can use the power for anything they want. And this isn't a hypothetical car of the future. It's on the road right now.

I ain't skeert. :unsure:

From Tesla:
Quote:

Software updates

Model S Manual
Model S Quick Start Guide

Model S regularly receives over-the-air software updates that add new features and functionality. When an update is available, you’ll be notified on the center display with an option to install immediately, or schedule the installation for a later time. The average software update takes 45 minutes to complete. Connect your Model S to your home’s Wi-Fi network for the fastest possible download time.

The current Model S software version is 6.1 and includes traffic-aware cruise control, camera-enabled automatic high/low beam headlights, forward collision warning, smart cabin preconditioning, energy prediction for trips, and an enhanced park assist view with reverse camera guides. Download the release notes for details.

fargon 03-23-2015 01:07 PM

What scares me is the trouble that computers and the internet have is security. All it would take is 5 or 6 cars running on the freeway at speed in heavy traffic to lock up the brakes immediate pile up.

DanaC 03-23-2015 01:13 PM

It looks like you're trying to slow down.

Would you like help?

*Get help with brake function
*Just try braking without help

Undertoad 03-23-2015 01:20 PM

What should worry you is people using cars. The pileup only happens with cars driven by humans. Computers notice the stoppage and stop in time.

glatt 03-23-2015 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 924402)
Computers notice the stoppage and stop in time.

Almost always true.

fargon 03-23-2015 01:40 PM

It is the almost that gets me.

Gravdigr 03-23-2015 01:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my biggest fear regarding computer-driven cars:

Attachment 50744

In this situation 'unsaved information' means 'your ass'.

DanaC 03-23-2015 02:11 PM

The blue windscreen of death

infinite monkey 03-23-2015 03:08 PM

You just cracked me up twice in a row, Dr. Dana.

xoxoxoBruce 03-23-2015 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 924389)
Driverless cars don't freak me out too much, what get's my interest is that this is just a software update.

That's only Telsa's cars, and not without the owners awareness/permission.

DanaC 03-24-2015 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinite monkey (Post 924421)
You just cracked me up twice in a row, Dr. Dana.

:)

Then my work here is done

But not my work here...

I have *glances at clock* 75 minutes left of my 5 hour telesales shift.

It's been a boring shift - loooooong waits on the dialler between calls - and a very high number of hang-ups/call refusals. Very frustrating when you've been sat there for 10 mins waiting for a call and when it clicks and you start to speak you hear the hang-up tone. Wait another 10 mins - but with a quick call (30 second wait) just often enough to know that you have to remain ready to speak at any moment.

BrandyPitt 03-28-2015 02:26 AM

sexy channing tatum

Hmm... how about looking at these hotness overload of Channing Tatum photos. I can't wait to see him again on Magic Mike XXL.

http://picuploaders.s3.amazonaws.com...ngtatum.th.jpg

http://picuploaders.s3.amazonaws.com...gtatum8.th.jpg

http://picuploaders.s3.amazonaws.com...gtatum7.th.jpg

http://picuploaders.s3.amazonaws.com...gtatum6.th.jpg

http://picuploaders.s3.amazonaws.com...gtatum5.th.jpg

http://picuploaders.s3.amazonaws.com...gtatum4.th.jpg

http://picuploaders.s3.amazonaws.com...gtatum3.th.jpg

http://picuploaders.s3.amazonaws.com...gtatum2.th.jpg

...and he'll be playing on the big screen as Gambit too. . soon..

http://picuploaders.s3.amazonaws.com...ngtatum.th.png

DanaC 03-28-2015 05:55 AM

Is that an identicial post to last time?

Clodfobble 03-28-2015 07:23 AM

Somebody sure wants us to watch the stupid program M_GIC M_KE XXL...

Undertoad 03-28-2015 07:31 AM

It's OK because eventually Google punishes them for bad links when it changes the algorithms.

Not that cellar.org is considered a source of bad links, but they put their links up widely;

And then Google finds the links on sites that are known link farms; and changes its algorithm to give negative scores for those links;

And then the site linked to is heavily punished in search rankings, and their traffic suddenly just *boom* goes away, along with all revenue for their business;

And then I get a message from Contact Us saying please, as a favor to us, that link is bad, it's hurting us, remove that link;

And then I get a second message a week later saying this is a followup, I notice you haven't taken the link down, please as a favor remove that link;

And then I send them a notice saying that the volume of requests for link removal is high, but if they pay my invoice for $5 for the work involved, I will take the link down.

So far it has not paid off once, but the joy I get in sending those invoices is so great that it makes up for everything.

DanaC 03-28-2015 08:39 AM

So, i've caught myself up with Person of Interest - in about a fortnight. Now I've run out of Person of Interest to watch until they air a new episode.

It's left me with a teensy bit of an obsession with several of the actors. So now I have to start checking out other stuff done by Michael Emmerson, Jim Caviesawhatever and Amy Acker.

What's the big one for Emerson? Fucking Lost - I dropped off Lost by the end of the first season - now I feel compelled to watch the damn show. And being the completist that i am, I'm not capable of just launching in at the point Emmerson enters the show - no, I need to watch the whole damn thing. And since I've forgotten most of season one, that means starting at the beginning.

Just finished ep 1, and y'know, I'd forgotten just how unbelievably awesome the first few eps were.

Lamplighter 03-28-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 924713)
What's the big one for Emerson? Fucking Lost
- I dropped off Lost by the end of the first season -
now I feel compelled to watch the damn show.
And being the completist that i am, I'm not capable of just launching in
at the point Emmerson enters the show - no, I need to watch the whole damn thing.
And since I've forgotten most of season one, that means starting at the beginning

I have no idea how it happened, but this quote just popped up in my Private Messages.
It's from Carrot.
I have no idea how he was able to send it or why it came to me.
Maybe he sent PM's to all Dwellars. It goes on:

Quote:

please please please help dana before it is too late

she has gotten herself into something she cannot control
she has to be stopped it will take over her free will
i fear that ultimately she will be disappointed and devastated

she is still great about taking me for my walks and my meals and all
but her developing obsession to watch each and every episode of lost will end badly
even the canine world knows that series was terrible

someone must shake dana out of this state
she's a wonderful woman who deserves a better life

i am desperate
please help us
carrot

DanaC 03-28-2015 09:43 AM

I thought he was looking more than usually shifty.

Gravdigr 03-28-2015 03:46 PM

Quote:

but her developing obsession to watch each and every episode of lost will end badly
And he speaks the truth...

Lamplighter 04-06-2015 09:06 AM

The pendulum swings after political wins, but often too far.

Quote:

Ricardo Lara, the California state senator who put forward the resolution
to memorialize the astronaut, said, “Sally Ride will be the first woman to represent California
and the first person to represent the L.G.B.T. community in the Capitol.”
Mr. Lara, a Catholic who is openly gay, added, “It’s about modernizing our heroes.”

“Symbols are important, especially for those of us who have traditionally not
seen ourselves in figures of influence or power,” Mr. Lara said.
So who was Sally Ride ?
... An astronaut !

What does Mr Lara want to do ?
... He wants to replace a statue in the National Statuary Hall with one of Sally Ride.

Whose statue does he want to replace ?
...He wants to replace the statue of Rev. Junipero Serra,
the 18th-century Catholic priest who established California missions
and is about to be canonized by Pope Francis.

For Jebus H Christ ... get some perspective !

Lamplighter 04-10-2015 08:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 924389)
Driverless cars don't freak me out too much, what get's my interest is that this is just a software update.
<snip>
I ain't skeert. :unsure:

It's all relative. We've heard about planes having "auto-pilot" for a long time now.

But then, along comes this...
Attachment 51116

:eek:

sexobon 04-11-2015 05:36 PM

New forum:

Whine Tastings
A place to sample whines, match them with cheeses, a cellar within The Cellar

What's making you sad today
What's upsetting you today?
What's mildly irritating you today?
What might be making you a tad apprehensive, but might not,
...as It's too soon to tell
What is pissing you off this time?
What's bumming your stone today?
What is in your room 101 today?
What's making you a tad apprehensive today?
Fuck it
I will not let the bastards grind me down
Neither will I let the bastards wind me up.
What Smells Bad Today?
Looks like I'm doing it again
Things I'm tired of
You guys are boring

Happy Monkey 04-12-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 925404)
... He wants to replace a statue in the National Statuary Hall with one of Sally Ride.

Whose statue does he want to replace ?
...He wants to replace the statue of Rev. Junipero Serra,
the 18th-century Catholic priest who established California missions
and is about to be canonized by Pope Francis.

For Jebus H Christ ... get some perspective !

An astronaut seems like a better representative than a religious recruiter, especially one from an era where religious recruiting was rather cruel.

DanaC 04-12-2015 10:56 AM

Kind of seems a good idea to me...

Gravdigr 04-12-2015 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 51147

Gravdigr 04-28-2015 04:07 PM

There are no crickets in Wayward Pines.

DanaC 04-28-2015 05:25 PM

Is it any good, that show? I'm tempted to give it a go.

Gravdigr 04-29-2015 03:18 AM

It definitely has potential.

Very "X-Files"-ey, with faint shades of "Lost".

Go here.

DanaC 04-29-2015 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 926989)
It definitely has potential.

Very "X-Files"-ey, with faint shades of "Lost".

Go here.

*grins*

that sounds right up my street.

Gravdigr 04-30-2015 02:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 51325

:eek:

DanaC 04-30-2015 04:29 PM

That was something that came up in Tom Holt's Doughnut. It involved travelling through multiple universes (via the hole in the doughnut - read it it's hilarious) and one of the characters got trapped in a universe where multiverse theory did not apply.

monster 05-03-2015 07:01 AM

I bet The Queen carks it shortly after becoming the longest reigning UK monarch on September 9.

limey 05-03-2015 10:11 AM

Is she on your List?

Sent by thought transference

Gravdigr 05-03-2015 11:08 AM

Radishes.

monster 05-03-2015 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limey (Post 927430)
Is she on your List?

no. but she darn well would have been if I'd realized this milestone was imminent. Phileeeeep is though, so hopefully he'll follow suit, pining away..... or choking on the canapes at the funeral tea.

Gravdigr 05-04-2015 04:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 51386

BigV 05-05-2015 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 927176)
That was something that came up in Tom Holt's Doughnut. It involved travelling through multiple universes (via the hole in the doughnut - read it it's hilarious) and one of the characters got trapped in a universe where multiverse theory did not apply.

curious how the character got into that universe... but not curious enough to read the book at the moment.

:)

sexobon 05-23-2015 07:12 PM

Hmmm ... Carrotchops could start posting pics ... I may have some suggestions.

Nikon made a camera that lets dogs take photos of things they like

Lamplighter 05-29-2015 10:55 AM

Times Editors must written this with tongues in lateral locations

Risks to Hands-Free Driving
NY Times - Editorial Board - 5/29/15

If your friend told you to jump off the bridge, should you do it ?
Quote:

...Most automakers are not expected to sell cars that drive themselves all the time for at least several more years.
But many companies like Mercedes-Benz, Tesla Motors and General Motors
are already selling or working on cars that can do a lot of driving without the help of drivers.
Some cars, for example, can follow cars in front of them at a safe distance on highways....

But don’t worry, the Feds will write Rules to solve any problem.
Quote:

...The federal government and most states have not yet issued rules on how such features
should be designed. One approach is to require that automated systems warn
drivers to slow down if they are about to crash into a car or pedestrian in front of them...

glatt 05-29-2015 11:23 AM

It's important to know what options your car has.

In this somewhat disturbing and cringe inducing video, you see a driver testing out the pedestrian detection and automatic stopping feature on his new Volvo. Unfortunately for his guinea pig friends, the car did not have this feature. (No blood, but dude's gonna be sore for a few days.)

DanaC 05-29-2015 12:08 PM

I'm filling in an application for a teaching job - J sent me a link to the vacancy yesterday - closing date is Monday midday.

I fucking hate these kinds of applications. It's the kind where you have to go through each of the person specifications (there are fucking loads of them) and give examples of how you have met those in previous employment. And then having effectively exhausted most of what i can say about how my experience is relevant to the job - I am then expected to write up a personal statement.

Lamplighter 05-29-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 929626)
It's important to know what options your car has....

I did read the "...cringe inducing..." warning, but that shocked me
so much I actually knee-jerked out of the path of the car.

"Idiot of the Day" popped into my mind.

glatt 05-29-2015 12:42 PM

Who, the guy standing there with his hands in his pockets getting hit by the car, or the driver hitting him?

Lamplighter 05-29-2015 01:29 PM

OK, let's change that to:

"Idiots of the Day" popped into my mind.

Gravdigr 06-05-2015 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 51938

BigV 06-06-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

George Carlin — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'
Quote:

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.'
Quote:

Proverbs 18:2 ESV — 'A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.'

limey 06-06-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 929631)
I'm filling in an application for a teaching job - J sent me a link to the vacancy yesterday - closing date is Monday midday.

I fucking hate these kinds of applications. It's the kind where you have to go through each of the person specifications (there are fucking loads of them) and give examples of how you have met those in previous employment. And then having effectively exhausted most of what i can say about how my experience is relevant to the job - I am then expected to write up a personal statement.

I hate that shit, too. Treat it as a language exercise, pick three items you've already mentioned at random and phrase them differently.

Gravdigr 06-06-2015 12:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:
George Carlin — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Quote:
Mark Twain — 'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.'

Quote:
Proverbs 18:2 ESV — 'A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.'

"You've done nothing when you've bested a fool."

~La Boeuf (Glen Campbell) in "True Grit"

monster 06-08-2015 11:08 PM

apparently I have to be up in 3 hours. This time not for work -to fetch my daughter from the graduate all night party. Then I have to go to work. Oh well. at least I'm not visiting her in prison. yet

classicman 06-09-2015 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yup ...

infinite monkey 06-13-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 930649)
yup ...

Ha! I often say I'm the worst person of me and my siblings but I'm not in prison or anything. Yet. ;)

Anyway, I came here to say 'jesus mother of god I attract freaks!'

it 06-16-2015 04:27 AM

Does orphan black pass the Bechdel test for having all it's main interaction between women or does it fail on the technical requirement of what exactly counts as "two women"? :neutral:

DanaC 06-16-2015 04:42 AM

hahahahahaha. That's a truly excellent question, Trace :P

DanaC 06-16-2015 04:44 AM

Tell you what show totally passes the Bechdel test - Person of Interest. Not bad for a genre/procedural crime show.

it 06-16-2015 05:51 AM

Haven't seen it - I might give it a shot.

Currently starting with Orange is the new black, which... So far would probably not pass a reverse Batchdel test, but the main character is a mid 30s bisexual convict / aromatic soap entrepreneur / drug dealer with a thing for Jews, so all is forgiven as long as I can date her in my head... Which is also now making me wonder if that is the perspective women get when watching so much media where the main identifiable characters are male, or alternatively, when getting married to death row inmates... *head scratching*

...Also, why don't we have a head scratching emoji?

DanaC 06-16-2015 06:19 AM

I should say it only really starts to pass the test properly by third season - at which point the core team is about a 50/50 male female split - and the women talk with each other often and not about the guys.