The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Food and Drink (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Cajun Catfish Courtbouillon (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19197)

busterb 01-08-2009 11:09 PM

Cajun Catfish Courtbouillon

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

A Louisiana Courtbouillon (COO-be-yahn) is completely different than the French Court-bouillon, which is an aromatic liquor or stock used as a cooking liquid. The Louisiana Courtbouillon, which is most definately a Cajun creation, is a thick, rich fish stew, brimming with Acadian flavors.
It was good, but took a long time to cook.

jinx 01-08-2009 11:20 PM

That looks spicy and yummy.

xoxoxoBruce 01-08-2009 11:22 PM

Looks good Buster. Don't set that paper on fire. ;)

Aliantha 01-08-2009 11:25 PM

And where is the recipe? I'd be interested in giving that one a go.

Cicero 01-08-2009 11:59 PM

Mmmmm....busterb's cooking...:love:

Gimme. :D

Beestie 01-09-2009 02:50 AM

Sign me up for anything cajun.

I've got some catfish in the freezer I've been itchin' to do something with so if you have the chance to post the recipe I'd love to give that a try.

I haven't had much luck with cajun recipes tho. I have a beans and rice recipe that takes three days to make (longer if you count the pickle meat preparation) and it comes out flat as a board - no pizzaz, no kick... no "cajun." I guess with Cajun - either you got it in your veins or you don't but I'm too stubbornn to give up (and too hungry!) :drool:

I can post the beans and rice recipe if anyone's interested. Its a fantastic recipe in the hands of a capable cook.

busterb 01-10-2009 11:42 AM

My bad.
This dish is actually a sauce piquant.
The recipe states 8 servings. Maybe for hogs. I basically halved it and was plenty for about 8, served over rice.
2 onions, 2 bell peppers + 1tbs ground Chipotle.
This is easily divided by two if you have less fish...

5 lbs. redfish, cut into pieces
1 cup cooking oil
4 (6 oz.) cans tomato paste
6 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
3 lg. onions chopped
3 bell peppers, chopped
4 small jars sliced mushrooms
6 large cloves garlic, minced
1/2 bunch shallots, chopped
1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tablespoon Tabasco
1 qt. water
salt & pepper

Brown fish in oil, remove and set aside.

Brown onions in oil, add tomato paste and tomato sauce.

Smother for about 1 hour over low heat. Add bell pepper, mushrooms, garlic, shallots, parsley, lemon juice, Tabasco, salt and pepper to taste, and water. Cook for 1/2 hour. Add fish and cook for 15 minutes. Stir gently so as not to break up fish.
Sauce Piquant - A hot spicy stew made with tomato paste or sauce, roux and most any meat available. The most popular is seafood, fish, chciken, turtle or alligator sauce piquant.

zippyt 01-10-2009 12:20 PM

Dinner at Buster b's House !!!!

Griff 01-10-2009 03:30 PM

Oh, yah!

jinx 01-10-2009 04:49 PM

I'm definitely making this, it looks really good... although I can't imagine that it has enough heat just from tabasco.
I wish we could get alligator up here... I guess I'll try it with catfish and mudbugs...

Thanks Buster!

busterb 01-10-2009 06:16 PM

Quote:

I'm definitely making this, it looks really good... although I can't imagine that it has enough heat just from Tabasco.
Plus the Chipotle, black pepper. I have red pepper on table. Anvil Mike was eating with me, so I toned it down. BTW. I added 2 bay leaves.
You need at least a 6 Qt. pan for this deal, at 1/2. Full recipe, maybe a wash pot?

lumberjim 01-10-2009 07:32 PM

i will benefit from this thread

busterb 01-10-2009 08:58 PM

I have a few tricks to this, if anyone is interested.

jinx 01-10-2009 09:12 PM

me

busterb 01-10-2009 09:19 PM

OK. Off top of my & Bud's head.
Catfish is an oily fish. The recipe calls for red fish which isn't. One has scales, other has skin. So I'd cut back on oil.
Quote:

Brown fish in oil, remove and set aside.
I cooked the fish in deep frier, but I have no idea how to brown fish without flour? Without it coming apart while simmering in this dish.
Used 1/2 cup oil in recipe, which I later blotted out part with paper towels. So cut back.
As for lemon juice, I put 3 Tbs to start, later a big squirt from bottle. The 1 Tbs of hot sauce isn't enough, so just add red pepper or what ever you like and taste. Green onions. Have no idea, just a bunch from freezer, maybe a cup. I only had dried parsley, so about 1/4 cup. Perhaps just leave the garlic at 6 cloves, up to you.
It cannot be rushed on cooking time.