The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Please, for the love of God... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14788)

Flint 07-10-2007 10:14 PM

Please, for the love of God...

...stop bombarding me with non-sequitur inquiries, shut the fuck up, just long enough to try that thing I told you in the first 15 seconds of the conversation. Whether you do it today, tomorrow, or a year from now; that thing I said right off the bat, and kept repeating, over and over, you know, that thing? Right, when you finally do that thing, and it fixes the problem, why can't you remember that the next time this happens? Why bother having an IT guy if you just don't listen?

It's like you don't want the problem fixed. I swear to God, I swear to you on a stack of fucking Bibles a mile high, IF YOU DO THAT THING I SAID IN THE FIRST 15 SECONDS OF THE CONVERSATION, YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE FIXED. Are you incapable of discerning this very consistent pattern?

elSicomoro 07-10-2007 11:02 PM

Well that's not gonna happen...too easy.

Cloud 07-11-2007 12:44 AM

because people want to be listened to. annoying, but there it is.

skysidhe 07-11-2007 01:52 AM

What did he say?

Shawnee123 07-11-2007 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skysidhe (Post 362653)
What did he say?

:p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud
because people want to be listened to. annoying, but there it is

Plus, they're really, really stupid.

rkzenrage 07-15-2007 03:32 AM

Someone say something?

My mouse thing won't type.

zippyt 07-15-2007 08:57 AM

and my cup holder thingee won't come out !!

Yznhymr 07-15-2007 08:02 PM

Sorry, just tell me ONE MORE TIME and I will write it down on this sticky note with my passwords on it.

yesman065 07-15-2007 08:50 PM

but...but...but...what if the first thingey doesn't work??? Then what do I do?

perth 07-15-2007 10:52 PM

The type of user I support tends to be highly-educated. I talk to at least one a day who spends five minutes complaining to me that dealing with this problem is a waste of their valuable time. Invariably the fix is less than a minute in length.

I use to think it was funny until I realised that these guys KNOW their complaining is wasting more time, and they're just jerks who like to yell at people.

BigV 07-18-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 362619)
...stop bombarding me with non-sequitur inquiries, shut the fuck up, just long enough to try that thing I told you in the first 15 seconds of the conversation. Whether you do it today, tomorrow, or a year from now; that thing I said right off the bat, and kept repeating, over and over, you know, that thing? Right, when you finally do that thing, and it fixes the problem, why can't you remember that the next time this happens? Why bother having an IT guy if you just don't listen?

It's like you don't want the problem fixed. I swear to God, I swear to you on a stack of fucking Bibles a mile high, IF YOU DO THAT THING I SAID IN THE FIRST 15 SECONDS OF THE CONVERSATION, YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE FIXED. Are you incapable of discerning this very consistent pattern?

You're making an easy mistake, forgetting who you work for. You work for people, not machines. You're on board to solve the problems *people* have, not to restrict yourself to correcting machine faults.

These two categories of action do sometimes run in the same track. But not always. Sometimes you can fix/solve one set and not the other. Knowing which is which will save you a fortune in antacid medication. Knowing which ones to prioritize can accelerate your career.

Flint 07-18-2007 01:20 PM

I'm in healthcare IT. I serve the patient. Supporting medical care for the patient is my ultimate goal, and everything I do is in that effort.
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 365408)
You work for people, not machines.

I don't work for people, and I don't work for machines. I work for the patients who need those people/machines to perform a task. If the people who run those machines are an obstacle to them functioning properly, then the patient suffers, and that is not acceptable. I am here to make sure the people/machines do their job for sick patients who need medical care.

That being said, I understand what you're saying, and I agree. And I appreciate the sentiment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 365408)
Knowing which ones to prioritize can accelerate your career.

Customer service is what makes me an asset. I'm a baby-sitter, a hand-holder, and a listener. But I need them to listen to me, too.

glatt 07-18-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 365417)
Customer service is what makes me an asset. I'm a baby-sitter, a hand-holder, and a listener. But I need them to listen to me, too.

I read this as asshat at first.

Clodfobble 07-18-2007 09:49 PM

Holy shit, glatt--I did too. Swear to God, I was about to write what you just posted, word for word. :eek3:

mbpark 07-18-2007 10:16 PM

OK, I kept my mouth shut on this one :)

Hello,

I work on a regular basis with non-technical people, and one of my assignments is Healthcare IT, where I work as a technical architect/DBA/SysAdmin. I work with a small team of 5 people running a large portion of the application infrastructure for a local health system.

The ONLY reason we get anything done is by not complaining about our customers. We focus on our assignments, and making sure that our customers are satisfied. We provide a copious amount of documentation, and think like our customers do in terms of user experience and customer satisfaction.

Healthcare, for most companies that aren't Big Pharma, is a non-profit industry. The IT staff is usually treated like the cost center (read: drains on profit) that they are if they don't treat the customers right and help on finding ways to streamline the workflow and save money.

The only way to move up and get your department funded is to get your projects done on time, and be courteous/helpful to your customers, so that your group gets funded for the next group of projects. If you focus on ways to help them and the business, you will help the overall objective of better patient care.

If you complain about the customers and treat them in a condescending manner, instead of realizing that there are major skill differences between you and them (and that they are very good at things which you are not good at, like finance or patient care), you will get less done and they will dislike you greatly.

If you worked in the organization I work at, chances are your customers would have called our group already, and we would have been working with them to get the job done instead. Sorry, but business is business.