The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Jan 10, 2010: Oscar Goes 'Round the World (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=21841)

xoxoxoBruce 01-09-2010 11:34 PM

Jan 10, 2010: Oscar Goes 'Round the World

Not Oscar the Grouch, Oscar the dog, went around the World with Joanne Lefson.

And she loved it, see that smile. ;)

http://cellar.org/2009/oscar1.jpg

Quote:

Oscar is a dog without equal. This year, he travelled across an incredible five continents, 29 countries and stopped off everywhere from the Eiffel Tower to the Taj Mahal.

He was rescued from a South African kennel by Joanne Lefson, who is half-British, five years ago. In May the pair began an epic journey hoping to inspire millions to help save his fellow canines living as strays on the streets. After dodging crocodile-infested rivers, walking on the Great Wall of China and escaping Italian police, Oscar finally finished his tour last week.

The £250,000 six-month trip - which Joanne funded by selling her home - also took in an amazing 15,000 shelter dogs and more than 50 charity-run rescue centres. On their worldwide travels, Joanne and Oscar also handed out 15,000 dog leads to needy hounds donated by the parcel company UPS.
http://cellar.org/2009/oscar2.jpg

I have no idea how they did the quarantine/shots/immigration hassle in that time? :confused:
The paper's headline said 80 days, but then the list the countries by month, May through December. Literary license I guess. :rolleyes:

Lot's of pictures of Oscar in front of various tourists spots, at the link.

sweetwater 01-10-2010 05:58 AM

It's a conspiracy! How did you know I picked up a lost, frightened, and confused puppy yesterday? And 'coincidentally' you post a IotD w/a 'stray dog does good' theme. :cool: (We can't keep her but are keeping her safe until her owners can be located.) I wonder how they managed the quarantine laws, too, but it's a great story and the photos are wonderful.

capnhowdy 01-10-2010 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Impressive journey, but a dangerous one I presume.:DAttachment 26261

newtimer 01-10-2010 09:07 AM

That woman sold her house, quit her job (I assume), and then spent the money from the sale on a vacation with her dog? Did she give any thought to what happens after the vacation is over? She returns to her country unemployed and homeless.

I hate to sound like the wet blanket here, but somebody needs to raise money to send this poor woman to some kind of mental evaluation and counseling.

classicman 01-10-2010 09:09 AM

:bites tongue:

Shawnee123 01-10-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtimer
That woman sold her house, quit her job (I assume), and then spent the money from the sale on a vacation with her dog? Did she give any thought to what happens after the vacation is over? She returns to her country unemployed and homeless.

I hate to sound like the wet blanket here, but somebody needs to raise money to send this poor woman to some kind of mental evaluation and counseling.

And had the adventure of a lifetime! Kudos to that. So many people resting on their laurels, then there are those who can look back someday and say "I did it. I took a chance. I have no regrets or 'what-ifs.' I lived a grand life!"

:didn't bite tongue:

Elspode 01-10-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtimer (Post 625387)

Sell a shitload of cute fuzzy books, set up a web site, go on talk shows, then do it all again, becoming the wealthy celebrity woman who goes all over the place with her dog?

Trust me, we have plenty of folks who are rich and famous for doing a lot less.

xoxoxoBruce 01-10-2010 02:18 PM

Doesn't this qualify her to be a commentator on FOX, or run for Parliament?:haha:

Cicero 01-10-2010 02:58 PM

It says she sold her home to fund the trip. The article did not give other details about the status of her bank account. Her financial situation is clearly not the point anyway. You guys always ruin stuff with logic. ;)

Cloud 01-10-2010 04:31 PM

homeless, happy, and humble. Not to mention answering the final question, so what did you do with your life?

Elspode 01-10-2010 07:41 PM

If you ask me, she is well on her way to making her pop culture mark on the world, and in today's shallow, vapid society, that's all she needs to achieve.

spudcon 01-10-2010 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 625452)
Doesn't this qualify her to be a commentator on MSNBC, or The Today Show?:haha:

Fixed it for ya.
As far as her funding is concerned, maybe she...Wait! Isn't she one of the White House gate crashers?

SPUCK 01-11-2010 03:48 AM

When she gets back homeless and hungry.... what is that about 30 pounds of meat dressed out? :rolleyes:

I gotta admit that is one cute, good looking, photogenic mutt.

Gravdigr 01-11-2010 03:58 AM

I think she did it just to get her pic on the Cellar.

Shawnee123 01-11-2010 08:19 AM

Nah, there ain't no NSFW pics thar.

I love the pic with her and Oscar on the camel.