The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How far do you drive to work? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17776)

Flint 07-24-2008 12:02 PM

How far do you drive to work?

How long does it take you to get there? Is it worth it?

lookout123 07-24-2008 12:06 PM

after dropping LL off and swinging back around the one ways my drive is about 15 miles. It takes me about 15-20 minutes usually. Is it worth it? It beats spending 20 minutes in line at the welfare office I suppose.

morethanpretty 07-24-2008 12:06 PM

About 15mins. If I have a long shift (8-10hrs), yes. If I have a short shift, which is increasingly happening, then no. But what choice do I have? No buses run near my apt (although there is one right by work) and the schedule I work isn't consistent enough to rely on that mode of transportation. Bike or walk you say? In Texas? In 100degree weather? I'm already sick, I don't want to kill myself.

lookout123 07-24-2008 12:09 PM

The longest commute I've had in the last 10 years was literally an hour and a half. Two hours and fifteen minutes if I had to pick LL up that day. That project lasted about 9 months and was one of the reasons I left that company.

My shortest was 8 seconds. That is how long it took me to walk from the refridgerator to my office when I worked from home. Hated it. I'd be at my desk at 5 in the morning and at midnight "just to check a quick thing".

wolf 07-24-2008 12:09 PM

I drive less than three miles to work. If the connecting road hadn't been closed, I'd be driving something less than 1 1/2 mile.

It's worth it to the extent that since I do drive to work, I am able to afford to have someplace from which to drive to work.

I've been considering (with varying degrees of seriousness) either a bicycle or one of those Scooter thingies.

Clodfobble 07-24-2008 12:12 PM

The vast majority of the time I don't go anywhere, but when I do have to go into the office, it's about 15 miles/20 minutes. Mr. Clod's is 15 miles/30 minutes. I'd prefer that it were closer so he could get home sooner, but it doesn't seem to bother him. It is the longest commute he's ever had.

SOOO. Tell us about this job offer you got with the company that wanted to interview you right away, and how far away is it? ;)

HungLikeJesus 07-24-2008 12:19 PM

I go to the office one day per week, and it's my least productive day. Otherwise I work from home.

Round-trip driving distance: 74 miles
Total driving time: ~1h 45m (depends on time of day)
Gas use: ~ 0.9 gallons

I do enjoy getting out of the house that one day per week, but wouldn't want to make the drive much more than that.

Cloud 07-24-2008 12:26 PM

My round trip is less than 5 miles. I'm a lucky D.O.B.

Flint 07-24-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 471222)
SOOO. Tell us about this job offer you got with the company that wanted to interview you right away, and how far away is it? ;)

It's an hour both ways without traffic (I've driven it at off-hours). Probably an hour-and-a-half with. The guy who I'd be working for lives about the same distance away. He'd let me work 7 to 3, which is what he does to avoid the worst traffic.

I'd be spending $300 a month on gas, and I'd have to buy another car for my wife. Considering additional expenses, there would be probably a net $20k difference after breaking even and paying my existing bills.

If he offers me the job, I'd have to take it. My current place knows that I'm officially on the market, and that I will give them an opportunity to make a counter-offer before I leave for more money.

lookout123 07-24-2008 12:37 PM

Well done Flint. I respect the way you are approaching this. Next question: Is this a job that you want, or is it just the money you want?

xoxoxoBruce 07-24-2008 12:38 PM

LJ has the worlds worst commute. :yelgreedy

lookout123 07-24-2008 12:43 PM

I fully support long commutes in the name of the almighty dollar. I just like to make sure the person has their motivations straight in their own head so they don't become disillusioned too quickly. Old recruiter's habit.

classicman 07-24-2008 12:44 PM

16 miles ~ 25 to 45 minutes depending on what time I leave

Flint 07-24-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookout123 (Post 471243)
Well done Flint. I respect the way you are approaching this. Next question: Is this a job that you want, or is it just the money you want?

It would be a new challenge, to break me out of stagnation. A chance to navigate some major system migrations, and then work with the newer technology and add to my skillset.

It would be a chance to both have the advantage of more authority, while also suffering the stress of more responsibility.

It would be way out of my comfort zone, which is where I need to go in order to really advance my career path. I'm too comfortable.

lookout123 07-24-2008 12:48 PM

Quote:

I'm too comfortable.
Oh, that's it. I thought you just had gas.

It sounds like a pretty great opportunity to me. I'm assuming that you make under $200K right now so having an extra $20K(>10%) increase is pretty awesome. When you add in the real world education and career growth opportunities it sounds like a real winner.