The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   3/21/2003: Octopus opens jar (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=3071)

Undertoad 03-21-2003 10:44 AM

3/21/2003: Octopus opens jar

http://cellar.org/2003/octopusjar.jpg

Happy Friday. This is Frieda, a 9-month-old octopus. She lives at a zoo in Munich. She's learned how to open a jar containing her favorite foods, which include shrimp, crabs, and clams. The jar opening is now on display for visitors, twice a week.

Freaky man!

linknoid 03-21-2003 12:33 PM

Re: 3/21/2003: Octopus opens jar

Isn't the octopus considered one of the most intelligent invertibrates?

wolf 03-21-2003 01:10 PM

Man ... this could be trouble!

First the invertibrates learn to open jars, next thing you'll know they'll be wanting the keys to the car, and universal suffrage ...

Pray that clams never learn to do something clever ...

(bet you all thought i was only paranoid about people ...)

That Guy 03-21-2003 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wolf
Man ... this could be trouble!

First the invertibrates learn to open jars, next thing you'll know they'll be wanting the keys to the car, and universal suffrage ...

Pray that clams never learn to do something clever ...

(bet you all thought i was only paranoid about people ...)

Worse yet -- imagine 6 fully autos aimed at ya, with 2 arms left free to constantly reload.

warch 03-21-2003 03:46 PM

Quite the cocky capsnafler, eh? Goin' into showbiz...
Need a challenge? Ive got a 23 month-old, sloppy, crusty jar of Stubb's BBq sauce in the fridge.

xoxoxoBruce 03-22-2003 07:03 AM

At last! Help for the elderly and disabled. They may replace dogs and little monkeys domestic helpers.

wolf 03-22-2003 07:33 AM

We have to teach them to breathe air first. I don't think they could get the proper leverage to open the jars if they also had to hold the jar out of the water.

Unless we only want them to open jars that are already full of saltwater ... you know, pickles, olives ... I think that would work.

Griff 03-22-2003 07:39 AM

How big an octopus do we need as a kitchen appliance? I think I can squeeze a small aquarium into my kitchen design.

wolf 03-22-2003 07:51 AM

That might be a good idea anyway griff ... have a big tank in the kitchen where yah can yank out some fresh, tasty seafood and toss it right into a big ol' pot of boiling water and old bay seasoning.

You'd have to have some way to mark the trained jar opening octopus to tell it from the one that you bought for calimari, though.

You wouldn't be able to open the tomato sauce if you cooked the wrong one.

Uryoces 03-22-2003 11:05 AM

Octopi are as smart as cats, minus the attitude. They have eyes that are almost on par with ours, and they've been opening jars as far back as 1975. Saw it on a Jaques Cousteau special that came out before a lot of the cellar audience was born. Yiieee! :eek:

And 03-23-2003 12:48 PM

I had heard a story about an octopus in a lab or zoo or someplace indoors in a tank. The lab techs or whatever would come in every morning and find rocks from the tank strewn all over the room. They weren't sure why or what happened as the rocks would repeatedly be flung on the floor, even after being replaced in the tank, so they set up a camcorder overnight. According to the tale, the camcorder caught the octopus flinging rocks at cockroaches on the ceiling and walls to knock them in the tank where it would catch them and eat them.

Snopes had nothing on the story, but I'm still unsure of it's authenticity.

MaggieL 03-23-2003 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Uryoces
before a lot of the cellar audience was born.
Heck, I've got a computer that's that old. And I bought it new.

lumberjim 10-08-2003 02:44 PM

INVENTORS

ACTUALLY, THE OCTOPUS INVENTED THE SCREW TOP CAP. WE BORROWED THE INVENTION IN EGYPTIAN TIMES AND HAVE USED IT WITH GREAT SUCCESS EVER SINCE!

:D

xoxoxoBruce 10-08-2003 08:50 PM

Oh Boy, another wacko. Welcome to the Cellar Ljim. We've almost got them outnumbered.:beer:
PS- Dave gets annoyed if you yell. :D

Elspode 10-08-2003 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, let's see this one get out, if he's so darn smart! ;)

(Great album by a great prog rock band, BTW)