The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Um, anime? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14911)

Jeboduuza 07-26-2007 02:21 PM

Um, anime?

Anybody watch anime?

Well to the few people who I believe will even open this thread, I thoroughly enjoy it. Lunar Bleach is my current favorite. I also enjoyed Dragonball Z, Tenchi Muyo, Gundam Seed, Pokemon and briefly was into Outlaw Star before it got taken off Toonami years ago. I'm no hardcore anime guru, just an appreciating fan.

And it's a lot better in Japanese with English subtitles. Loads better.

Flint 07-26-2007 02:34 PM

The English overdubs are useless. just try watching Ghost In The Shell with the English audio track...
You know that all these heady subjects are being volleyed about, but in English they are not being spoken!

My theory: they figure if you are the kind of person who wants to watch with the English overdubs, you probably don't want alot of the more interesting subject matter anyway. The overdubs are geared towards stupid, lazy viewers.

Plus, Japanese just sounds cooler.

Jeboduuza 07-26-2007 02:50 PM

Hai!

Happy Monkey 07-26-2007 03:57 PM

Mononoke Hime is an exception. The English version was done by Neil Gaiman. So for that one, it's worth it to watch the English dub in addition to the Japanese with subtitles. It's also fun to watch the English dub with the literal English translation in subtitles to see what Gaiman changed to match the mouth movements.

Anything else I watch subtitled.

Clodfobble 07-26-2007 04:05 PM

Having done voiceover work, I can assure you that a large portion of the time the dub is significantly changed from the original translation, it is because you simply can't say all the words fast enough and still sound normal. Japanese especially is guilty of having these incredibly complex, nuanced concepts that are expressed with a three-syllable word, and would take two sentences to explain in English. Ghost in the Shell is especially bad, because they keep having these long scenes discussing philosophy--try reading the subtitled text out loud along with the movie, and see if you can do it without sounding like the MicroMachine Man.

Now, the acting on the other hand, well, that's another issue altogether...

wolf 07-26-2007 05:03 PM

I'm only mildly into anime. I happened across Paranoia Agent, thanks to OnDemand, and because of that checked out several of Satoshi Kon's movies, which I love ... Tokyo Godfathers and Millenium Actress. I wasn't as interested by Perfect Blue, though.

I also watch Witchhunter Robin.

Inuyasha is okay, but I don't watch it consistently.

I've tried some of the other anime movies, but most of them have not interested me very much ... Steamboy, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away. Howl's Moving Castle was okay, I guess. Grave of the Fireflies is possibly the worst movie I've ever seen. Aren't those all Studio Ghibli? Plays like bad Disney, you know, like from the late 1970s.

rkzenrage 07-26-2007 05:59 PM

I'm not a fanime, but I watch.
Been wanting to watch Witchunter Robin.
There is also a noir film about an actress who gets involved in a murder plot, something "blue"... lost the title, that I've been wanting to watch.
I watch what is On Demand and buy a few titles here and there.
Used to be into it more back when Akira first hit.

wolf 07-26-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 368481)
I'm not a fanime, but I watch.
Been wanting to watch Witchunter Robin.

Definitely watch it. Try to get the whole series ... OnDemand only showed the first 5 episodes the last time it ran.

Quote:

There is also a noir film about an actress who gets involved in a murder plot, something "blue"... lost the title, that I've been wanting to watch.
That's the Satoshi Kon project, Perfect Blue. I mentioned it above. It wasn't as good as the other two movies and the series I talked about.

BigV 07-26-2007 06:06 PM

purchased the best of Cowboy Bebop two disc dvd today for $4. woot! I have sessions 1 2 and 3 at home and will eventually accumulate the rest. I may get the movie too, if it falls into my lap like this one did.

rkzenrage 07-26-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 368488)
Definitely watch it. Try to get the whole series ... OnDemand only showed the first 5 episodes the last time it ran.

That's the Satoshi Kon project, Perfect Blue. I mentioned it above. It wasn't as good as the other two movies and the series I talked about.

Thanks for the tips!:D
Did you like Ninja Scroll? I know it is not spectacular, but something about it intrigues me.

Clodfobble 07-26-2007 06:50 PM

Wolf, have you ever seen Jin-Roh? I think you would like it.

Hime 07-27-2007 10:51 AM

I really like Miyazaki's work with Studio Ghibli (Mononoke, Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart...) and Satoshi Kon's films and series, and I like Cowboy Bebob and Lupin III. I used to be a big anime fan and go to conventions every year, but these days I'm not as interested in most of it. My husband's a much bigger fan than I am -- he especially loves Naruto and Kare Kano.

Flint 07-27-2007 11:33 AM

If you're not into Studio Ghibli ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf (Post 368444)
Plays like bad Disney, you know, like from the late 1970s.

I recommend Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend (graphic sexual content) and Fist of the Northstar (extreme violence).

Rexmons 07-27-2007 11:55 AM

Ghost in a Shell was definitely an experience, kinda like The Matrix on acid. I really like the stuff that takes place in the past, like Ninja Scrolls.

wolf 07-27-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkzenrage (Post 368519)
Thanks for the tips!:D
Did you like Ninja Scroll? I know it is not spectacular, but something about it intrigues me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 368521)
Wolf, have you ever seen Jin-Roh? I think you would like it.

I haven't seen either of these, I'll make sure they're on the netflix queue, though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hime (Post 368704)
My husband's a much bigger fan than I am -- he especially loves Naruto and Kare Kano.

I've watched a few episodes of Kare Kano. I got quickly tired of the self-absorbed main character's pointless rivalry. Probably plays better to a Japanese audience.