The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Vitamins & Herbs (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14136)

DucksNuts 05-10-2007 05:20 AM

Vitamins & Herbs

Do you take any daily?

If so, what and why?

I know they say that the levels in these kinda things, cant make a difference, but I like to humour myself.

I take...

St John's Wort - keeps me sane (ish)
Lysine - keeps the cold sores at bay (havent had one for years)
Multi V - coz I skip meals
Fish Oil - keeps me sane (ish) and all the other benefits.

Perry Winkle 05-10-2007 08:03 AM

My dailies: Multi-v, Fish Oil, B (keeps mosquitoes away as a bonus), C, Calcium, Glucosamine Chondroitin(joints!), iron.

I usually get enough calories in a day, but I'm not really covering all the bases nutritionally. Plus, with all the exercise I sweat out a lot of what goes in...

glatt 05-10-2007 08:11 AM

I eat a big bowl of delicious Wheaties for breakfast each day. Like many cereals in the US, Wheaties is fortified with a bunch of different vitamins. I put a handful of frozen blueberries on top of each bowl, because they have tons of antioxidants and taste real yummy.

Undertoad 05-10-2007 08:34 AM

Everything everyone knows is wrong. This very long NYT article will explain how you should think about nutrition. I have yet to take its advice however, because I am a moron.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/ma...56e677&ei=5070

LabRat 05-10-2007 09:13 AM

Great article.

I think I'll have a salad for lunch today...

Edited to say that I did have a salad, and chicken tortilla soup. And milk, so I could finish my soup since it was hotter than usual today. MMmmmm.

Clodfobble 05-10-2007 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt
I put a handful of frozen blueberries on top of each bowl, because they have tons of antioxidants and taste real yummy.

Oh man, I pop frozen blueberries like candy! I can easily eat a whole container in one sitting, which isn't good considering how expensive they are when they're out-of-season.

glatt 05-10-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 342253)
Oh man, I pop frozen blueberries like candy! I can easily eat a whole container in one sitting, which isn't good considering how expensive they are when they're out-of-season.

The expense depends on your perspective. Would you rather eat a big container of blueberries out of season, or a McDonald's value meal? Roughly the same price.

bluecuracao 05-10-2007 05:46 PM

Somehow I ended up with a huge jar of Super-B complex, so I take those. When I remember to buy multi-vitamins, I take those instead.

Aliantha 05-10-2007 05:52 PM

I take Evening Primrose Oil to control pms along with st johns wort. I don't take any actual dietary suppliments as we have a pretty balanced diet at home and as we all know, natural nutrition is always better than anything you can get out of a bottle.

rkzenrage 05-10-2007 06:45 PM

Muti-vit & a Calcium supplement, Dr's orders.

LabRat 05-11-2007 09:25 AM

I forgot to say that normally I do not take any vitamins/supplements (aside from Lexapro ;)). However, I am currently taking a 'script prenatal vitamin, in hopeful preparation for a natal. I ahve upped the fruits and veggies in my diet, for the same reason. "Naked" Blue Machine juice pwns.

WabUfvot5 05-14-2007 04:53 AM

Been taking plenty of things in an attempt to communicate in telepathically astral fashion with long dead alien races.

Currently take:
Iron
Caprylic acid / Oregon grape root / Peppermint (changes each week)
Multivitamin
Whey protein powder
planning to add L-Glutamine in with this soon and maybe creatine in the future

Also have in my cupboard (which is absurdly full now):
Licorice root (good for calming the stomach)
Cinnamon
Cayenne
Calcium
Oregano oil
Caprylic acid
Ginger
Olive leaf
Turmeric
Garlic
Pau D'arco
Rosemary

DucksNuts 05-14-2007 06:27 PM

Jeb, what the fugg do most of those things do???

Cinnamon
Cayenne
Calcium
Oregano oil
Caprylic acid
Ginger
Olive leaf
Turmeric
Garlic
Pau D'arco
Rosemary

WabUfvot5 05-14-2007 11:25 PM

They make me pretty. Although I was pretty before taking them too... maybe I shouldn't credit the herbs for that :P

Different ones do different things; is there a particular one you're interested in?

monster 05-15-2007 09:50 PM

Well they'd make a nice mild curry paste....