The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2/6/2006: Face transplant patient appears (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10039)

Undertoad 02-06-2006 12:00 PM

2/6/2006: Face transplant patient appears

http://cellar.org/2006/facexplant.jpg

Face transplant patient Isabelle Dinoire is being shown in video a lot today. She's the world's first face transplant patient, after her pet dog mauled her. The hospital had their first press conference with Dinoire, so the public gets the first look at the results.

This shot shows much more than the videos, although the videos seemed to make her look much better/prettier. Her lower lip does hang down constantly like that, although she seemed able to drink normally from a cup of water. They say she'll be in physical therapy for quite some time, but she'll also be getting psychological help. They don't know exactly how someone will react when the face in the mirror is not their own.

AureliusVin 02-06-2006 12:56 PM

Wow, it is amazing that modern medicine is capable of doing such things I previously thought of only happening in movies. She does, however, have a long way to go before before playing in a game of Charades. Truly unbelievable stuff though.

Emrikol 02-06-2006 12:59 PM

Wow.

Just wow.

/looks down his pants.

Hmm... if they can transplant a face. . .

wolf 02-06-2006 01:07 PM

You mean this?

Leah 02-06-2006 04:00 PM

That's one lucky lady, I have to wonder if she still has the dog . :neutral:

moonspider666 02-06-2006 04:35 PM

hmmmmm,a 2 faced woman;i heard of those

BAD DOG !

xoxoxoBruce 02-06-2006 05:43 PM

It would appear that this is not yet an option for people that want to be prettier.
I think there is an awful lot of nerves and blood vessels in the face so I wonder how much of that they can get working. The muscles beneath the skin do the moving and cause expressions but I wonder in much of the skin is numb......like coming from the dentist? :drool:

AureliusVin 02-06-2006 06:15 PM

This is totally off topic, but as I was perusing through the list of "smilies", I came across the "doit" one and I think it might be one of the most disturbing things I have ever seen.

:doit:

capnhowdy 02-06-2006 06:16 PM

Who cares about the face?

That's what underwear is for.

Just joking.

AureliusVin 02-06-2006 06:19 PM

Wait, scratch that. :sheep:

Clodfobble 02-06-2006 06:35 PM

What's with the teeth?? I would think they could give her normal-looking dentures.

footfootfoot 02-06-2006 06:45 PM

Transplant in my book implies donor. can we get a liiiitle more info, but not too mcuh info. I agree with the teeth comment. that is old technology. reminds me of a joke that is too long to type tonight. if this thread lives on I amy attempt it later.

maybe someone already knows the one about the guy who buys the hand tailred $3.00 suit.

xoxoxoBruce 02-06-2006 06:57 PM

I suspect they are her own teeth. The problem is the drooping lower lip.
BUT, she still looks better than Michael Jackson. :lol:

Jordon 02-06-2006 07:47 PM

Oh, and get this:

She started smoking again, knowing that it could lead to tissue rejection. In other words, she just needs that ciggie so bad she doesn't care that her face could just decompose and slough off. That's why they call it an addiction.

footfootfoot 02-06-2006 08:05 PM

don't underestimate the power of nicotine. I know two former heroin addicts who smoke. they said kicking junk was a walk in the park compared to quitting cigs. both still smoke and have been junk free for a couple of decades.

In the book "the sticking point" get it at your library, the author explains some of the chemical reasons for nicotine's powerful wonderfulness on some people. (my sarcasm)

I think welbutrin has similar effects on neurotransmitters. Where's our neuronurse? Bri? is that you?