The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Boston Marathon explosions (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=28884)

elSicomoro 04-15-2013 02:18 PM

Boston Marathon explosions

Pretty messed up:

http://betaplayer.radio.com/player/wbz-newsradio-1030

http://boston.cbslocal.com/live-video/#listen-live

elSicomoro 04-15-2013 02:20 PM

Two explosions rocked the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday, witnesses told NBC News.

Will Ritter, the spokesman for a Massachusetts Senate candidate, said that he heard what sounded like two explosions and saw smoke rising near the Boston Public Library. He said that he saw three fire engines and police running to the site.

Ritter said that people hit the ground.

Janet Wu, a reporter for NBC affiliate WHDH, told NBC News that she heard two loud explosions.

Boston police confirmed there was an incident but did not immediately give details. Police, fire and medical technicians were responding.

link

Pete Zicato 04-15-2013 02:25 PM

Pictures:

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...ns-live/64246/

Pete Zicato 04-15-2013 02:27 PM

I'll be following this story. If it is politically motivated, will we end up living like the Israelis - where you have to be worried about bombs at every large event?

Perry Winkle 04-15-2013 02:43 PM

I know a handful of people who were running it. Hoping they and their friends and family spectating are safe.

Gravdigr 04-15-2013 04:04 PM

Yeah, that jogging shit ain't looking so healthy now, is it?

Too soon?

:evil2:

Gravdigr 04-15-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Winkle (Post 860851)
I know a handful of people who were running it. Hoping they and their friends and family spectating are safe.

Serious dittoes.

Crimson Ghost 04-15-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 860857)
Yeah, that jogging shit ain't looking so healthy now, is it?

Too soon?

:evil2:

Jim Fixx agrees.

Griff 04-15-2013 04:09 PM

Its stuff like this that makes me hate the humans. I know that's the root of the problem but people are suck.

Gravdigr 04-15-2013 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 860850)
...will we end up living like the Israelis...

I won't.

DanaC 04-15-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Zicato (Post 860850)
I'll be following this story. If it is politically motivated, will we end up living like the Israelis - where you have to be worried about bombs at every large event?

I was really struck by this comment. I kind of assumed that you guys already would be hyper alert to terrorism. I mean, thinking about it I suppose it makes sense that you wouldn't, given how few such attacks there have been. But the shadow of 9/11 and the subsequent war on terror has been so vast I just assumed you'd be on the alert.*

We've had nothing so enormous as the 9/11 attacks over here, but the threat of smaller islamic terrorist attacks pretty much seamlessly took over from the previous fear of IRA bombs. The idea that major public events might be a focus for terrorist attacks would seem a natural consideration. Not that you necessarily expect it: it's pretty rare. But you always allow for it.

Fucking appalling though. Just been watching the news.

* I dont mean alert in a security sense: I'm sure the local police and emergency services are as aware and alert as any others. But in the sense of living 'like the Israelis' with a sense of that possibility around public events.

Clodfobble 04-15-2013 04:38 PM

Things I have read from various news sources:

There were two explosions at the marathon, and a third at the JFK Library. In addition, they have found at least two more devices that did not detonate, presumably because one of the first actions taken was to shut down all cell service in the city, making remote detonation by cellphone impossible.

NY Post is reporting that at least one Saudi national has been identified as a suspect.

Gravdigr 04-15-2013 05:09 PM

Our good friends the Saudis.

Again.

Lamplighter 04-15-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 860866)
Things I have read from various news sources:

There were two explosions at the marathon, and a third at the JFK Library.
In addition, they have found at least two more devices that did not detonate,
presumably because one of the first actions taken
was to shut down all cell service in the city,

making remote detonation by cellphone impossible.

NY Post is reporting that at least one Saudi national has been identified as a suspect.

AP is reporting this:

WASHINGTON (AP) - Cell phone companies say service is operating in the Boston area,
but with heavy traffic following of the explosions at the Boston Marathon.

A law enforcement official, citing an intelligence briefing,
said cell phone service had been shut down Monday in the Boston area
to prevent any potential remote detonations of explosives.

But officials with Verizon Wireless and Sprint Nextel said there had been no such requests.

Sprint spokeswoman Crystal Davis said:
"Minus some mild call blocking on our Boston network due to
increased traffic, our service is operating normally."

monster 04-15-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 860865)
I was really struck by this comment. I kind of assumed that you guys already would be hyper alert to terrorism. I mean, thinking about it I suppose it makes sense that you wouldn't, given how few such attacks there have been. But the shadow of 9/11 and the subsequent war on terror has been so vast I just assumed you'd be on the alert.*

We've had nothing so enormous as the 9/11 attacks over here, but the threat of smaller islamic terrorist attacks pretty much seamlessly took over from the previous fear of IRA bombs. The idea that major public events might be a focus for terrorist attacks would seem a natural consideration. Not that you necessarily expect it: it's pretty rare. But you always allow for it.

Fucking appalling though. Just been watching the news.

* I dont mean alert in a security sense: I'm sure the local police and emergency services are as aware and alert as any others. But in the sense of living 'like the Israelis' with a sense of that possibility around public events.

Was going to say the same thing :(