The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Creative Expression (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Crafty DIYers (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=31523)

glatt 03-27-2017 09:23 AM

Once you make a toolbox that fits all your tools perfectly, you can't get any new tools.

xoxoxoBruce 03-27-2017 12:13 PM

That's what the drawers in the bench are for, you don't actually use the tools in the box. :lol:

xoxoxoBruce 03-27-2017 05:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Youze guys that drool over slab tables, it's not at hard as you think. It's been mentioned slabs are available in many places, here's one in CA.

Flint 03-27-2017 05:11 PM

Know anything about kiln-dried wood? I've got wood, and a kiln somebody gave us.

xoxoxoBruce 03-27-2017 09:47 PM

I assume the kiln is small, I mean like not big enough for 8' ft planks. Probably the sizes that would fit your kiln would fit in an oven.
Kiln drying requires a low heat and moving air to carry the moisture away. It's much faster than air drying and the time varies with the species. The finish moisture content also depends on what the wood is going to be used for.

xoxoxoBruce 03-29-2017 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you've got the time you could hammer out some really cool hardware for your kids toy chest. But if you have a kid with a toy chest you probably don't have the time. :lol:

xoxoxoBruce 04-01-2017 12:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ya'll can make practical things too, just don't lose your shit when you see somebody dumping Cheetos in one. ;)

xoxoxoBruce 04-03-2017 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nifty little gift for your gitfiddle playin' friends.

xoxoxoBruce 04-04-2017 11:45 PM

Fancy wood joints.
Dovetail

Multi-angle

Griff 04-05-2017 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 985995)
Nifty little gift for your gitfiddle playin' friends.

That is sweet. Makes me want to quit my job.

xoxoxoBruce 04-05-2017 11:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sharpen up your jackknife and you can whittle yourself a chair for the grandchildren to fight over when you're dead. Use the chips to heat a cuppa.

Flint 04-06-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 985308)
I assume the kiln is small, I mean like not big enough for 8' ft planks. Probably the sizes that would fit your kiln would fit in an oven.
Kiln drying requires a low heat and moving air to carry the moisture away. It's much faster than air drying and the time varies with the species. The finish moisture content also depends on what the wood is going to be used for.

I figure I can season fresh wood, for use as fire wood, by kiln drying it? Good point about the air circulation, though. Not sure how I'd accomplish that.

glatt 04-06-2017 10:21 AM

Sure. You could do that.

Nobody else does that because it makes no economic sense, but firewood is probably entertainment for you instead of a source of heat. Normal economic rules don't apply. Entertainment is frivolous by its very nature.

Flint 04-06-2017 10:29 AM

I actually heat my house with firewood. I have a heat pump, but I try to arrange things so that it never comes on.

I have tons of trees on my property, and a chainsaw, but this doesn't really get me "firewood" until waiting around 2-3 years for it to dry out.

Somebody gave us a kiln, and I wondered, could I jump-start the wood seasoning process? Maybe, I could at least do batches of small branches--those should dry out quicker? The small branches I actually use a lot of, because after the fire box is hot, and I put fresh wood on for the night, I stuff every conceivable airspace inside the box with small bits of wood, until it's a solid block that will burn slowly all night.

The wetter wood smokes too much and leaves too much ash.

glatt 04-06-2017 10:31 AM

this isn't a pottery kiln, is it?