The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I bawt a Tesla (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35249)

Undertoad 07-21-2020 12:13 PM

I bawt a Tesla

Ask me anything.

Undertoad 07-21-2020 12:16 PM

It is blue

http://cellar.org/img/asdftesla.jpg

Flint 07-21-2020 12:22 PM

Is that a picture of it?

Undertoad 07-21-2020 12:26 PM

Yes.

It cost me $1000 to have it in blue. Any color but white is an extra $1000, but I just could not have white, due to the racial. So I made this ridiculous emotional choice to pay extra for a blue one

lumberjim 07-21-2020 12:28 PM

it's lovely. I've never even sat in one. goes fast? handles well? cool tech?

what's you're favorite and least favorite thing so far?

monster 07-21-2020 12:44 PM

Hi UT! It's very pretty. Did you name it?

monster 07-21-2020 12:45 PM

and when are you getting married so we can decorate it appropriately? :D

Undertoad 07-21-2020 12:52 PM

0-60 in 4.4 secs, I think it's like 345 HP

The instant acceleration of the EV is stunning. The throttle lag of the gas car is something we don't really think about. In all gas cars, when you put your foot down, there is a one-mississippi that happens before you get all of the go-fast power. Because the revs have to go up before you get all the torque. That's doubly true of the CVT.

But in the electric car, the acceleration is immediate - all that torque is immediately available and put to the wheels. It's breath-taking.

Most favorite thing: I guess, zero emissions - reducing my carbon footprint for transportation by half. But there are like 10 most favorite things

Least favorite thing: imagining that people think I'm bragging, but all I want to do is talk about how awesome it is and how they are secretly affordable and everybody should get one

You must try it out at the first safe opportunity. I insist

Clodfobble 07-21-2020 12:54 PM

Cool! Pics of the inside? Getting a Tesla is on my list of things to do once I'm not hauling kids around anymore.

Undertoad 07-21-2020 01:00 PM

Tesla actually requires that you name your car. My car's name is "Hope". It is looking to an optimistic future where tech improves things. Also an optimistic future where I stay employed and can make the payments.

Undertoad 07-21-2020 01:16 PM

Married: May 2021 if everything goes to plan and the world is a better place

Undertoad 07-21-2020 01:37 PM

Interior. I really dig the minimal design. No visible air vents, no dash indicators or controls, it's all on the touchscreen. The air vents are hidden and, like everything else on the car, are controlled by that screen.

http://cellar.org/img/asdftesla2.jpg

I didn't get the white interior. That too would have been an extra $1000

All the seating material is vegan-friendly leather, it is nice

DanaC 07-21-2020 01:58 PM

Very cool!

BigV 07-21-2020 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055527)
Ask me anything.

Where in the heck have you been?!?!

1 -- Welcome back! (not a question, I know).

2 -- Does it include "Ludicrous speed"?

3 -- How do you charge it? 110 / 220, did it require any adaptations to your home electrical service?

4 -- Have you had the opportunity to park it somewhere that has a public charger? Pay or free?

5 -- Are your cheeks cramping up from smiling so much?

Undertoad 07-21-2020 02:35 PM

1. Not really back

2. No, that's for the expensive Model S. But my partricular Model 3 does have a faster mode. If I ever get tired of a 4.4 second car, I can upgrade: another $2000 turns it into a 3.9 second car. Via software!

3. So far I have only charged it with 110, which adds about 4 miles range per hour. That's more than enough to recharge from my daily commute overnight (once we begin commuting again). I do have a 220v dryer outlet and a $75 extension cord I can run out a window, if I ever need to charge faster at home.

But also, I got a deal: since I bawt an end-of-quarter car from inventory, I get free Tesla Supercharging for a year. That would be nicer if there was a Supercharger within 20 miles, but in any case, it's a thing. They are planning to put in a Supercharger near me... hope it happens within that year...

I am finding the 110v is plenty. In the winter, when it's less efficient, that may change.

4. My four Supercharging sessions have each put about 150-200 miles on, in about 25 minutes. I investigated a free charging station at the next building over at work, but it only has enough juice to put on 12 miles per hour, and it's about a quarter mile walk away... not the best conditions.

There are also for-pay third party chargers near me. All charging is cheaper than gas. At this time I've calculated that I'm paying 3.7 cents per mile to fuel it. Gas is about 10 cents per mile. Not including oil/filters.

5. Yes. I'm not over it. This thing is freakin' amazing.

Diaphone Jim 07-21-2020 02:37 PM

Are the brakes iffy or did you intend to overshoot onto the grass?

lumberjim 07-21-2020 02:43 PM

they have a 4yr 50k basic and 8 yr battery warranty. I think I'd def extend that. what do you have to service other than wiper fluid and tire rotations? Is there any kind of a cooling system service?

Undertoad 07-21-2020 02:53 PM

Intentional: I have a shared driveway with the folks next to me. I put one tire on the grass so they can get their rear car out more easily.

I hardly ever touch the brake pedal. The car has regenerative braking - when you take your foot off the gas, the car uses its forward momentum to recharge the battery. This slows the car considerably -- enough to handle 95% of slowdowns/stops.

Undertoad 07-21-2020 03:01 PM

Wiper fluid and tire rotations is exactly the entire user maintenance.

The first scheduled maintenance is at two years. That maintenance is: inspect the brakes and change out the cabin air filter. That's IT.

Think about the last 10 services you had on your cars. Now think what they would be if the motor was electric and the car had no transmission. Reported services are on other sections of the car, and some of those are kinda of major - like, someone said their front radar malfunctioned. (They could still drive, but couldn't use Autopilot) Still, my expectation is way less service will be needed, that is part of the Hope.

Griff 07-21-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055534)
0-60 in 4.4 secs, I think it's like 345 HP

Oh hell yeah!

lumberjim 07-21-2020 03:35 PM

I want a Tesla Ford Bronco right now.

Griff 07-21-2020 03:37 PM

I'll take a Tesla Tacoma.

lumberjim 07-21-2020 03:54 PM

One of my salesmen just bought a new Tacoma. I like it. It's cool looking

Griff 07-21-2020 05:03 PM

My knock around truck is a 2011. Reliable vehicle but maybe drop the body on an electric..

sexobon 07-21-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055546)
1. Not really back

Undertoad did an Ibby! :lol2:

glatt 07-21-2020 09:01 PM

Sweet ride, UT!

monster 07-21-2020 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055537)
Married: May 2021 if everything goes to plan and the world is a better place

I will start collecting tin cans and hoarding shaving foam and string... what?

Dude111 07-21-2020 09:54 PM

Congrats buddy I hope ya like it 4 many years!!!!!

DanaC 07-22-2020 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055546)
1. Not really back

Tease!

glatt 07-22-2020 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055538)
it's all on the touchscreen. The air vents are hidden and, like everything else on the car, are controlled by that screen.

How is the user interface on the screen? I remember you criticizing a Ford touch screen about ten years ago.

I understand Teslas can assist you with driving, so is hunting around on the touch screen not a distraction because the car will take care of you while your eyes are off the road?

I have a 2009 Accord, and there are still little things that annoy me about the controls, like the A/C button doesn’t light up when the A/C is on. You have to glance around on the display screen to find that information, and it isn’t very prominent.

Griff 07-22-2020 06:28 AM

Good question. I have a touch screen in my Subaru which is my only complaint about the vehicle. My generation will be dead pretty soon though...

Undertoad 07-22-2020 07:17 AM

The screen is huge and most things you might need to do are two "clicks" away -- but I prefer the voice interface to get things done.

It's like -- there is an "auto" setting for the wipers, so the car will try to detect rain on the windshield and clear it. If you want the wipers to go faster, you can go to the wipers in that interface and switch "auto" to "3". But it's easier to press the voice button and say "set wipers to 3".

When the car is in Autopilot, which I am learning when to trust - it's no big deal at all to take your eyes of the screen for long enough to hunt the interface a little. at this time I trust Autopilot when there are clear lane markings and nothing "hard" for the car to do - like deal with hard rain, or twilight conditions (when the sun is in your eyes, it's in the cameras' eyes too).

Griff 07-22-2020 07:26 AM

Hmmm... maybe now that I can hear I should get comfortable with voice interfaces. The key word is should though.

fargon 07-22-2020 09:26 AM

May Hope give many years of faithful service.

Undertoad 07-22-2020 02:27 PM

Yes and you have a key that's like a credit card, you can hold up to one edge of the door to lock or unlock it. But mostly you use your phone. Once your phone is set up as a key, you just walk up to the car and get in; the car unlocks for you.

And with that system, there's no "key in the ignition" step. You just press the brake pedal, and the car adjusts the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel to your settings, and turns on climate (and lights, and wipers, etc). Then you just put it in Drive and go.

This takes a little getting used to, especially because the car is silent. The engine doesn't switch on and rev and etc. You hit the accelerator and you're off. Silently.

And when you get to where you wanted to go, you just put it in Park and get out. You walk about 10 feet away from the car, and it recognizes you've walked away and nobody else is in the car. So it locks itself and shuts down the climate and stuff.

lumberjim 07-22-2020 05:03 PM

Fucking future magic from Sci fi books I read as a kid.

monster 07-22-2020 07:08 PM

I am, of course, remembering The Cellar Car at this point. Get off my lawn.

Diaphone Jim 07-22-2020 07:16 PM

"And when you get to where you wanted to go, you just put it in Park and get out."
Assuming, of course, that Hope agreed with your choice of destinations.

Undertoad 07-22-2020 07:53 PM

I didn't buy the Full Self Driving option. It was another $7,000 to get that. I can still add it at any time, but the price went up: it's now $8,000. The theory is that, as it develops, it will be more and more useful over time, and they will continue to increase the price.

If they ever reach complete full autonomy driving, the value is supposed to skyrocket, because at that point the cars can become robo-taxis and just generate money. Some people think it will be worth $100,000.

Undertoad 07-22-2020 08:04 PM

Went to the Dentist this morning. I was late getting there for my 9am appointment, drove much more reasonably on the way back.

Third-party website TeslaFi fetches the data from your car and compiles reports about your trips, your charges, etc. geekery dream

http://cellar.org/img/dentist.jpg

those max speeds were only momentary i swear

monster 07-22-2020 08:31 PM

That's a hell of a long way to go to the dentist... Have you considered going to B... oh, wait....

Griff 07-22-2020 08:43 PM

Ohh shiiit.🤣

Undertoad 07-22-2020 09:17 PM

:thumb2:

10/10 well played

Clodfobble 07-22-2020 09:26 PM

Ha! Took me a second, but... HA!

lumberjim 07-22-2020 11:37 PM

It's taking me more than a second....

Undertoad 07-23-2020 07:36 AM

She's saying I should go to Blue Bell where there is a family dentist who screwed up work in my mouth so I brought the story here and we all mocked him relentlessly until a year or so later he actually showed up here

DanaC 07-23-2020 10:08 AM

I recall the mocking - I dont remember him turning up - but then my memory is shocking these days:P

Happy Monkey 07-23-2020 05:28 PM

Congrats! I'd love to have one, if I didn't need to get a house with a garage (or even a driveway) as an accessory.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055605)
I didn't buy the Full Self Driving option.

Good call. I'm a Tesla fan (and investor) but the one thing I can't argue with critics on is that I don't think it's ready to be paid for now, let alone when they started offering it. Paying for it is essentially like buying the top tier on a crowdfunding site to get access to the beta. Maybe for a game like Subnautica, but maybe not for something that steers my car.

Quote:

It was another $7,000 to get that. I can still add it at any time, but the price went up: it's now $8,000. The theory is that, as it develops, it will be more and more useful over time, and they will continue to increase the price.

If they ever reach complete full autonomy driving, the value is supposed to skyrocket, because at that point the cars can become robo-taxis and just generate money. Some people think it will be worth $100,000.
Would you let your car wander for extra income? Seems like a pretty big mindset change.

Undertoad 07-23-2020 08:04 PM

If it made me $30k per year, yes I would!

Undertoad 07-23-2020 08:25 PM

Musk generates a constant trickle of hints that car autonomy is closer than we expect. That doesn't correspond at all to how things currently operate, but Musk figures there will be a sudden whomp of improvement... by end of 2020. I'm not buying Full Self Driving now, because I'm betting that his schedule will lag -- but I could be wrong.

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesm...opilot-2q-2020

Undertoad 07-23-2020 10:48 PM

Oh and I missed commenting on this part

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey (Post 1055643)
I'm a Tesla fan (and investor)

:eek: :D

well done sir well done

Happy Monkey 07-23-2020 11:10 PM

Thanks. Wish I'd been braver, but can't complain.

xoxoxoBruce 07-23-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055530)
Any color but white is an extra $1000, but I just could not have white, due to the racial.

It's a beautiful color but racial? Driving a white vehicle is a racial statement? :eyebrow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055534)
In all gas cars, when you put your foot down, there is a one-mississippi that happens before you get all of the go-fast power.

I had my one-mississippi removed, along with some physical changes. It took some getting use to at lights, leave a extra half car length and make sure the guy in front is moving before pressing on the go pedal. I would imagine you're in the same boat except for the wizardry that keeps you from running into things.

Quote:

...when you take your foot off the gas, the car uses its forward momentum to recharge the battery. This slows the car considerably --
But the brake lights don't come on?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055538)
Interior. I really dig the minimal design. No visible air vents, no dash indicators or controls, it's all on the touchscreen.

No line of sight indicators of any information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055536)
Tesla actually requires that you name your car.

:facepalm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055593)
Yes and you have a key that's like a credit card, you can hold up to one edge of the door to lock or unlock it. But mostly you use your phone. Once your phone is set up as a key, you just walk up to the car and get in; the car unlocks for you.

There's no key and fob to do that? You have to have a phone? You can't get in if the car loses power?
Quote:

And with that system, there's no "key in the ignition" step. You just press the brake pedal, and the car adjusts the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel to your settings, and turns on climate (and lights, and wipers, etc). Then you just put it in Drive and go.
----
You walk about 10 feet away from the car, and it recognizes you've walked away and nobody else is in the car. So it locks itself and shuts down the climate and stuff.
You are not in control, the car does what Steve Jobs Elon Musk wants and you get used to it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055606)
Third-party website TeslaFi fetches the data from your car and compiles reports about your trips, your charges, etc. geekery dream

Right TeslaFi, division of NSA. Some of their calculations take a huge leap of faith to believe but a comparison if they're off the same amount each time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1055652)
Musk generates a constant trickle of hints that car autonomy is closer than we expect. I'm not buying Full Self Driving now, because I'm betting that his schedule will lag -- but I could be wrong.

Musk was counting on Trump to cut the red tape but that won't happen.

Bottom line, the perfect car for you. It's already given you enough boners to justify the cost. Enjoy the ride! :celebrat:

Undertoad 07-24-2020 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1055658)
It's a beautiful color but racial? Driving a white vehicle is a racial statement? :eyebrow:

S'a joke sir

Quote:

But the brake lights don't come on?
They do.

Quote:

No line of sight indicators of any information.
Could be worse, you could need the information. Like tach, water temp, oil pressure, fuel gauge, these are all no longer needed.

There are a few things I would prefer to have in front of me, but none of them are typical dash indicators. I'd like to have the navigation in front of me, I imagine some cars may have that but I don't know of them.

Quote:

There's no key and fob to do that? You have to have a phone? You can't get in if the car loses power?
You use the regular key which is a credit card, doors are managed off a separate battery from the drive battery.

xoxoxoBruce 07-24-2020 12:40 AM

OK, you bought blue because you wanted blue. Jokes like that are not a given these days when you listen to the extreme positions being taken.

The brake lights come on from the regen braking without the pedal?

Could be better too, turn signals, high beams, SPEED. You're mistaken, you still need a fuel gage. If it has to be a display at least put it in the center of the wheel.

So there is no way to open the door, at least from the outside, if it doesn't have power regardless of which battery it works off of.

Undertoad 07-24-2020 12:40 AM

Quote:

t's already given you enough boners to justify the cost.
A whole set of factors lead this to be about the same monthly nut as my previous ride. That includes credit improvements, insurance provider switch, electric provider switch, and the savings of about $80/month in gas once we get back to commuting. And a down payment with a big ol' bonus I got at work

Service should be less. Tires will be more.

xoxoxoBruce 07-24-2020 12:43 AM

More for tires? What, were you buying crap tires for the other one?

Undertoad 07-24-2020 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1055666)
The brake lights come on from the regen braking without the pedal?

Yes, it goes according to the rate of slowdown

Quote:

Could be better too, turn signals, high beams, SPEED. You're mistaken, you still need a fuel gage.
All the major bits are at the top left of the 15" screen and I don't miss seeing them right in front. It's about the same amount of glance down.

High beams I just keep on automatic; the car manages that.

Don't need a fuel gauge. I'll start every day from home with like 280 miles range. So unless I'm going to drive for 4 hours, I don't need to know the range at all. On a longer trip, the range is managed by the navigation system, generally going to the next supercharger.

In a gas car, you're trained to manage your car's fuel status carefully; and even though you can run out at any time, you run it low for conveniences' sake. You need a gauge. And you need it to be accurate, but it never is...

Quote:

So there is no way to open the door, at least from the outside, if it doesn't have power regardless of which battery it works off of.
That's true, although the battery systems are carefully managed. Meanwhile, I was locked out of a car three times in the last 10 years. Keys locked in the car. Key broken off in the trunk lock. Fob low on battery. Let's see how this next run of ten years goes.

Undertoad 07-24-2020 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1055668)
More for tires? What, were you buying crap tires for the other one?

I'll need them sooner, because car is very fast.

xoxoxoBruce 07-24-2020 01:44 AM

But you're not doing burnouts, speed shouldn't make a great deal of difference other than the faster you travel the better your tires should be. I know I have to pay more for Z rated tires.

I never agree with the automatic headlights choices. I shouldn't say never, but often disagree. I can tell if there is a vehicle approaching around a blind bend or over the crest of a hill at night. The lights won't dim automatically until it sees his lights and by then he's caught my high beams full in the face. I try to dim them before that.

If you start out in the morning with a full charge and if you don't need heat or chill, and you drive slow and safe, then you're good 280 miles. That's a bunch of ifs to take into account without looking at a fuel gage. :rolleyes:

But none of that matters because it's what you've wanted for a very long time and now you've got it... plus next year you'll grab the brass ring and live happily ever after. :thumb2: