The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Aug 20, 2010: Kiwi (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23403)

DanaC 08-21-2010 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 677768)
Coming next week to an IOTD near you: Kangaroo on a trampoline

Lulz.

Adak 08-21-2010 08:41 PM

A roadrunner top speed is about 18 mph. (I have chased many of them on foot, in my youth). When pressed by a predator, they can fly, as well.

Kiwi tops at an estimated 13 mph, and can't fly at all.

They defend against other Kiwi birds - not bobcats, foxes, dingos, coyotes, lynxes, ocelots, wolves, eagles, etc., who would easily take them.

If they were as prolific, and could fly just enough to get high enough to escape ground predators pursuing them, like a chicken can, I'd say "they'll do fine".

That is not the case, however. It will be a big struggle for them to stay alive, in the wild as new predators move into their habitat. imo

Gravdigr 08-22-2010 12:32 AM

If it's gonna be a mammal, don't it have to have tits?:eyebrow:

Gravdigr 08-22-2010 12:35 AM

BTW, are New Zealanders offended by being called Kiwis? Or are they cool widdit?

SPUCK 08-22-2010 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 678021)
BTW, are New Zealanders offended by being called Kiwis? Or are they cool widdit?

It's a fine moniker. I think they rather like it.

Like calling Americans - Yanks.

Sundae 08-22-2010 06:22 AM

New Zealanders I've known have called themselves Kiwis.
Note - if you are unsure of whether someone is Australian or Kiwi, get them to say "Ten pens". A Kiwi will say "Tin pins".

Of course many Merkins can't tell the difference between English, South African and Antipodean, so this might be a moot point ;)

Pico and ME 08-22-2010 10:03 AM

When I was a teen working at my hometown bakery, one of my cow orkers was a New Zealander who said 'ducky' a lot. Is that particular to the county or just an all around British term?

Sundae 08-22-2010 11:14 AM

In Leicester, the favourite term of endearment was "me duck". As in, "Y'all right there me duck?" It was only really used by auld wifies, but had apparently been widespread before strange colours and shapes came in via the television.

Ducky? As far as my experience goes it's just an old-fashioned (out-dated) way of calling someone homosexual.

Lamplighter 08-22-2010 11:41 AM

Duckies seem to be serious subjects in some places...

WallStreetJournal
The Sober Science of Migrating Rubber Duckies

Pico and ME 08-22-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 678070)
In Leicester, the favourite term of endearment was "me duck". As in, "Y'all right there me duck?" It was only really used by auld wifies, but had apparently been widespread before strange colours and shapes came in via the television.

Ducky? As far as my experience goes it's just an old-fashioned (out-dated) way of calling someone homosexual.

LOL...she called all of us duckies.

richlevy 08-22-2010 12:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

having physiotherapy with regular massage
Did the massage by any chance include this?:yum:

Rhianne 08-22-2010 01:25 PM

Penguins may feel neglected by this thread and Adak in particular.

xoxoxoBruce 08-22-2010 04:02 PM

Well hell, we can cook them too. :D

casimendocina 08-23-2010 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 678048)
New Zealanders I've known have called themselves Kiwis.
Note - if you are unsure of whether someone is Australian or Kiwi, get them to say "Ten pens". A Kiwi will say "Tin pins".

Of course many Merkins can't tell the difference between English, South African and Antipodean, so this might be a moot point ;)

For more on the difference and rivalry between Australians and New Zealanders, check out Flight of the Concords. There's lots of other examples, but this is the one I like best.

Having said that, in Japan, it was the New Zealanders who the Australians graviated towards when they didn't feel like dealing with anyone exotic. It was like talking to someone from home except you could make sheep jokes at their expense.

Sundae 08-23-2010 08:45 AM

Casi - Jim Robinson as the Ambassador!
Excellent.