The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly amusing you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=20235)

monster 12-18-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sundae Girl (Post 618588)
Juni, my lost cat Dylan grew up with the studs (at the breeder's house.)
Although he was neutered, he learned their behaviour.

Diz was always the dominant cat, the alpha if you like (although cats don't have a pack hierarchy in the same way dogs do) but he was brought up with the queens.

So the whole time I had them both, Dylan would occasionally mount Diz, biting his neck and making him submit.

And yet Diz got first dibs on food, first choice at sleeping place and could chase Dylan off my lap by jumping up and edging him off cuckoo style.

Animal pecking orders are more complicated than we think!

that's just what Atomic and Demeter are like

glatt 12-18-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juniper (Post 618688)
I can understand running out of salt, but if you live in a place that gets snow sometimes, why wouldn't you already have a shovel?

When I first moved down here after college, I didn't own a snow shovel. You are starting out in life, on your own, and there are just certain things you don't think you will need. We lived in an apartment building with on street parking. Why would you need a shovel?

Well, after the "storm of the century" dropped like 2 feet of snow, we realized that even if you live in an apartment, it's good to have a shovel so you can dig your car out. We spent like 2 hours with cookie sheets and a broiler pan trying to dig our car out. And then once we did, and drove off to run errands, we came back and somebody had parked in the parking space we dug out. We had to dig another one out just to park again.

TheMercenary 12-18-2009 01:46 PM

It has been raining like hell for 2 days. Your snow is on the way.

classicman 12-18-2009 06:00 PM

I cannot handle all the morons on the road - I've decided that popcorn and whatever else I already have will have to suffice. I am home finally and just don't feel like going out. I know my temper and I don't want to snap a week before Christmas.

DanaC 12-18-2009 06:23 PM

On a slightly related point, it always amuses me seeing people doing their Christmas food shopping at the supermarket. It's like they're still in the 70s or early 80s when all the shops would close across Christmas. It's left us with this tradition of stocking up on basics (half a dairy's worth of milk, an entire bakery of bread, 3000 toilet paper rolls and a plantation's worth of tobacco) despite the fact that, actually, most of the shops only close for one day, and even then there's 24 hour garage forecourt shops all over the bloody show selling all those basics as and when they're needed.

Buying in enough food to prepare a spread, sure I get that. Making sure the cupboards and fridge are full of lovely treats, yeah, ok. But the whole batten-down-the-hatches approach seems silly these days.

TheMercenary 12-18-2009 06:35 PM

On line shopping rocks. That is all.

DanaC 12-18-2009 06:56 PM

Since much of Britain, including my town is currently blanketed in white, here are some random musings on the subject of snow:

1. It's really, really pretty. But it stops looking inviting when it comes time to walk a 28kg dog who pulls like a an over-enthusiastic huskey in a sled race.

2. The level of panic and disruption that descends on Britain with each falling flake is hysterically funny to watch on tv: less funny when it comes time to try and get a bus home from Leeds.

3. When letting the dog out for the last time before locking up for the night, it's not a good idea to be too lazy to locate shoes and instead step out in faux fur slippers.

4. Pilau's furry face acts as a handy snow-gatherer when he's snuffling about outside.

ZenGum 12-18-2009 07:47 PM

Having been rather busy at work, I have deferred all my seasonal shopping.

I must now venture forth into the great bedlam of the Mall, on the last Saturday before Xmas. 'tis gonna suck.

Calm, tranquil, deep breaths, patience, get the hell out of my way you selfish git! The narrowest bottleneck in a crowded mall is not the place to stand and chat! 10, 9, 8...

Undertoad 12-18-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 618858)
2. The level of panic and disruption that descends on Britain with each falling flake is hysterically funny to watch on tv: less funny when it comes time to try and get a bus home from Leeds.

Catching a bus in Leeds? You just have to be a little creative!

DanaC 12-18-2009 08:28 PM

lol. I don't even need to click that link. Let me guess....the guy who just went down for 3 years for stealing a bus ?

TheMercenary 12-18-2009 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 618891)
Having been rather busy at work, I have deferred all my seasonal shopping.

I must now venture forth into the great bedlam of the Mall, on the last Saturday before Xmas. 'tis gonna suck.

Calm, tranquil, deep breaths, patience, get the hell out of my way you selfish git! The narrowest bottleneck in a crowded mall is not the place to stand and chat! 10, 9, 8...

Let the internet be ur friend. I refuse to venture forth into the masses of stupidity.

Undertoad 12-18-2009 08:43 PM

Dana, yeah :D It was a good chase.

DanaC 12-18-2009 08:45 PM

And you thought HillBillies were only in the States :p

Undertoad 12-18-2009 08:48 PM

"'Ere, 'old me Watney's and wawch this!"

DanaC 12-18-2009 09:01 PM

Excellent accent Toad.