The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Random Thoughts (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29481)

Carruthers 03-04-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

People 'choose partners with similar life expectancies'

People unwittingly tend to choose a partner with a similar life expectancy, according to new research.

A genetic study found humans also unconsciously select mates with similar risks of illness such as blood pressure or heart disease.

Experts say the findings help explain why long-term couples often suffer from the same ailments in later years.

Researchers at the University of Edinburgh concluded the effect is likely a result of choosing a mate with shared lifestyle factors that are genetically linked to disease. These include risks such as smoking, or healthy behaviours.
I never had the good fortune to marry so, taking the above into account, it occurs to me that I might live forever.

Or will it just feel like it?

Link

Gravdigr 03-04-2019 12:32 PM

You and I will never know the infinite relief of a divorce.

Ya want the best of both worlds, so to speak?

Throw away half of what you own.

Happy Monkey 03-04-2019 12:48 PM

Marie Kondo: Divorce simulator?

Gravdigr 03-04-2019 01:10 PM

Could be. Idk what a Marie Kondo is.

Glinda 03-04-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1027351)
You and I will never know the infinite relief of a divorce.

Nor the dread. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1027351)
Ya want the best of both worlds, so to speak?

Throw away half of what you own.

I've started working on this. Last year, I went through every one of my closets and cleaned them out. Goodwill got a metric butt-ton of good new and used clothes/shoes, plus books and small electronics and appliances. I was also able to get rid of some old computers and TVs (they recycle them for free). Claimed it all on my taxes. Win-win-win.

I need to keep going with this, though. I think this year, I'm going to tackle the front room in my house. That's where (1) I keep a bunch of boxes of stuff that didn't sell at my last yard sale a few years ago, and (2) multiple boxes of misc family treasures and house decor items that I lugged home from my folks' house.

The yard sale stuff can go, but I need to decide what to do with the stuff I brought home from SoCal. Some I want to keep, but there are quite a few things I plan to sell. Need to get going on this!

Gravdigr 03-17-2019 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1014138)
Ya never hear anything about Mozambique in the news.

Flash floods and winds caused by Cyclone Idai (satellite image shown) kill at least 205 people in Mozambique, Malawi, Zimbabwe, and South Africa.

jkg 03-19-2019 12:45 PM

I want to return back to my mother's belly.

Gravdigr 03-19-2019 01:55 PM

That post absolutely qualifies as random.

Weird as fuck, but, random.

BigV 04-07-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff's sigfile
If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you.
- Louis D. Brandeis

Thanks Griff. I like this, I lean on it regularly, like a sturdy walking stick as I travel along the road of life. Sometimes it's more of a hike on a trail, sometimes I'm bushwhacking. It's especially helpful in times like those.

monster 04-07-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 1029901)
Thanks Griff. I like this, I lean on it regularly

2nded

fargon 04-08-2019 07:34 AM

Me too.

monster 04-11-2019 09:23 PM

I have ten 1099s, 4 W2s....

welcome to my hell

Gravdigr 04-12-2019 10:21 AM

Damn, woman, wtf?!

BigV 04-12-2019 04:15 PM

Family accountant

monster 04-12-2019 06:52 PM

extension filed.....

financial advice with a little help from my friends :)

so.... every payout/fund rollover I received when beest died brings forth a 1099. his 401K kept receiving dividends for some time ..each one bringing on a 1099 etc etc etc. Plus he got a regular W2 and then one from when he was paid by their insurers because he was on long term sick leave (turned out to be one day....), I got a regular W2 and one from a former employer (local public schools from when I coached the swim team) who had a recent ruling against them that something they were doing regarding withholding cash for some fund when they employed me was wrong and they had to pay it back. It was a whole $13....... such is my world.....