The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Things that make you go ewwww... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19667)

Aliantha 03-01-2009 09:25 PM

Things that make you go ewwww...

Usually I do the shopping for our household, but since I'm off the road, Dazza has to drive me to the supermarket. This weekend just gone was our first one going grocery shopping together for ages, and I now remember why I usually avoid taking him along.

Aden was pushing the trolley (cart) for me, and I was working through my list. Meanwhile, Dazza keeps wandering off and coming back with all sort of weird things for the trolley. Things like 30 cent noodles. Ewwwww yuck. Seafood extender. Ewwww yuck even more. Homebrand fish sticks. yucko.

I know he's trying to economise in a way, but mostly it's because he actually likes eating those things.

That's the biggest Ewwww of all for me.

eta: I managed to explain to him that the $3 frozen pizza was a waste of money and he should just get a bag of flat bread and I'd make him one that tasted better and would be more nutricious...for the same price!

monster 03-01-2009 09:33 PM

And how is this form of shopping more restful for you? next time, either be in the trolley and have them push you, or make a shopping list with cut 'n' paste pics of the exact products and stay home with a tub of ice cream.

Aliantha 03-01-2009 09:35 PM

lol....That wouldn't work. It's better that I'm there to control things to some degree ie frozen pizza ;)

It was pretty funny really. Made me laugh. I asked Dazza if he was stocking up for when I'm in hospital, because none of that shit will be heated or eaten when I'm in the house.

Clodfobble 03-01-2009 10:09 PM

I completely feel your pain. I try to keep Mr. Clod out of the grocery store at all costs. It's torture to have him wandering around with me, but it's even worse to send him alone and see all the impulse buys he comes back with.

classicman 03-01-2009 10:28 PM

For all the men out there, I must defend the gender. I rock in the grocery store. pbbblllltttt. Oh and my kids hate going with me cuz they know that none of the instant crap is getting bought.

ZenGum 03-01-2009 10:50 PM

Crikey, CLassic, you mean you still haven't figured out how to get out of doing the shopping?

I bet you do a good job of washing the dishes, too. Sucker! ;)

classicman 03-01-2009 10:53 PM

As a matter of fact, I do a great job at the dishes, and the laundry, vacuuming, cleaning.... It's all up to me buddy :)

And I do it myyyyy wayyyyyy.............

zippyt 03-01-2009 11:13 PM

in and Apron , and high heels , and pearls

Razzmatazz13 03-01-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 540179)

:D best...mental picture...of classic....evar!

zippyt 03-01-2009 11:16 PM

but thats ALL he's wearing Razz

monster 03-01-2009 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippyt (Post 540179)

that certainly makes me go eeewww....

DucksNuts 03-02-2009 03:52 AM

I dont know, theres something seriously sexy about ANY man pushing the vacuum cleaner in an apron, high heels and pearls...especially, whilst I am sitting on my arse watching :)

Clodfobble 03-02-2009 08:53 AM

Heels or not, any man who cleans of his own free will gets my vote.

classicman 03-02-2009 12:26 PM

not freewill - must be done and there is no "other" to do it.

However, when there was, I still did most of it.

Shawnee123 03-02-2009 12:29 PM

Grocery shopping is best enjoyed as a solo endeavor, imho. I don't care who does it, but two people is one too many people. ;)

kerosene 03-02-2009 12:32 PM

I like shopping with my husband...usually we split up and get it done faster. Also, it is easier to stay in budget, because we usually guilt each other out of buying non-necessary stuff. Now bringing the kids along...that is another story.

xoxoxoBruce 03-02-2009 12:42 PM

If the whole family goes everyone can eat their fill at the store and save the trouble and expense of one day's food. ;)

Shawnee123 03-02-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 540340)
If the whole family goes everyone can eat their fill at the store and save the trouble and expense of one day's food. ;)

Until the Sample Lady, unable to keep up with the pressure of the demand, loses her last marble and starts screaming and throwing toothpicks with little tiny sausages stuck to them at everyone. :worried:

SteveDallas 03-02-2009 01:32 PM

Throwing is fine. As long as it doesn't get to outright stabbing.

Wait, Shawnee, are you talking from personal experience? As the customer or as the sample lady?

dar512 03-02-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 540335)
Grocery shopping is best enjoyed as a solo endeavor, imho. I don't care who does it, but two people is one too many people. ;)

When Mrs. Dar and I were first married and had the time we used to do the grocery shopping together. It was a cheap date night for us and a fun way to spend time together.

These days I do the grocery shopping during the school year since Mrs. Dar is busy doing grading most evenings.

I'd like to add that the attempt at humor at Classic's expense is some of the lamest stuff I've seen on the Cellar. It's cheap humor, promotes sexual stereotypes and ignores the common reality that most women are working outside the home these days.

lumberjim 03-02-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 540373)

I'd like to add that the attempt at humor at Classic's expense is some of the lamest stuff I've seen on the Cellar. It's cheap humor, promotes sexual stereotypes and ignores the common reality that most women are working outside the home these days.

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/...koAnimated.gif

Shawnee123 03-02-2009 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 540355)
Throwing is fine. As long as it doesn't get to outright stabbing.

Wait, Shawnee, are you talking from personal experience? As the customer or as the sample lady?

I've seen it with my own eyes. Sample Lady is the new postal.

dar512 03-02-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 540379)
wherein LJ seems to have a headache

Sorry, Jim. My opinions are not vulnerable to the Vulcan mind meld.

Clodfobble 03-02-2009 03:57 PM

I knew it! LJ is black!!

LabRat 03-02-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 540269)
Heels or not, any man who cleans of his own free will gets my vote.

If your man is doing it just for votes, I am seriously overpaying mine... :eyebrow:

ZenGum 03-02-2009 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 540373)

True. But I press on with shameless disregard. Cheap humour is the most economical kind, and this thread is, kinda, about shopping. ;)

dar512 03-02-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 540440)
True. But I press on with shameless disregard. Cheap humour is the most economical kind, and this thread is, kinda, about shopping. ;)

Not really. The "let's all point and laugh" variety of humor stops being funny after about 7th grade.

lumberjim 03-02-2009 04:57 PM

and you wonder why you are so often mis-identified as female. You're practically a school marm at times.

dar512 03-03-2009 09:06 AM

I consider it as having honor, ethics, and empathy.

And I don't think it makes you more of a man to make fun of someone for the sake of a joke.

Pie 03-03-2009 09:17 AM

Mine's pretty good with the shopping, but will always come back with the following items, regardless of what he was sent for:

Basil
Tomatoes
A yellow pepper

Not that it's a bad thing in any way, just somewhat... inexplicable.

Trilby 03-03-2009 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 540836)
[he] will always come back with the following items, regardless of what he was sent for:

Basil
Tomatoes
A yellow pepper

Not that it's a bad thing in any way, just somewhat... inexplicable.

Inexplicable, and highly so.

I wonder what it is he is hankering for? A salsa?

morethanpretty 03-03-2009 06:53 PM

I buy and love frozen pizza. You can't possible convince me that making it is cheaper, and better. You can't buy the ingredients to make just 1 pizza, no you end up with enough to make 3 or 4, most of it will go to waste if you don't want to eat 3 or 4 pizzas in the next week or two. Then it takes extra time to prep and put together. I think most of us agree that time=money. Therefore the extra time to make a pizza = extra cost. Same goes for a lot of other prepared food you buy at the grocery store, rather than having to buy all the ingredients and do it yourself.

jinx 03-03-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 540829)
I consider it as having honor, ethics, and empathy.

And a metric fuckton of humility too, right? :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 541033)
I buy and love frozen pizza. You can't possible convince me that making it is cheaper, and better.

I feel the same way about pasta sauce in a jar.

Aliantha 03-03-2009 07:07 PM

Well the pizza that Dazza was looking at had stuff we have in the fridge all the time. olives, ham, cheese, capsicum etc. We grow basil and oregano, so that's not a purchase for us. the only thing we'd actually buy especially for a pizza is the base. if I'm making a quick one, I'll buy pitta bread for it, otherwise I'll just make pizza dough in the bread maker.

That was my point with him. I'm sure others have their own way of doing things, but to me, there's no value in us buying frozen pizzas.

dar512 03-04-2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx (Post 541038)
And a metric fuckton of humility too, right?

My humility generally lies in execution. I'm pretty sure what's the right thing to do. So not much humble there. But I often miss the mark. So plenty of humble there.

Hagar 03-05-2009 04:39 AM

I think I need to blurt a word or two in support of Dazza, I always get a "look" when I retrieve two minute noodles, fish fingers, dim sims or processed cheese to the supermarket trolley, but all these things have a place. As Cookie Monster would put it they're "sometimes foods"

Sometimes I admit, I crave garbage ( I had two minute noodles with added processed cheese (Kraft singles) for lunch - I call it "Noodle deluxe". It is good.)

The idea of sitting back on a Sunday afternoon, watching the motor racing while eating an effortless frozen pizza sounds pretty good to me. Heck, I might even just heat it up in the microwave, bugger waiting for the real oven to preheat.

(See also: Spam, Camp Pie, canned ravioli.)

Mmmm, Spam.

Aliantha 03-05-2009 02:11 PM

lol...bloody men! You're all the same then huh?

TGRR 03-10-2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 541042)
otherwise I'll just make pizza dough in the bread maker.

Amateur.

REAL pizza afficianados grow their dough the old fashioned way.

Beestie 03-10-2009 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliantha (Post 541801)
lol...bloody men! You're all the same then huh?

This Just In: Yes.

Pico and ME 03-12-2009 02:48 PM

My hubby likes canned vegetables. Prefers them over frozen. (Not fresh, of course, but I wish I had the time and money to do only fresh).

dar512 03-12-2009 02:49 PM

Back when I could have them, I preferred can peas to frozen. Frozen peas always tasted dried out to me.

Pico and ME 03-12-2009 02:52 PM

Yuck...I cant stand how mushy they are.

Clodfobble 03-12-2009 03:08 PM

Ew. Canned vegetables are gross. The only one that is even remotely acceptable is canned corn.

Tiki 03-12-2009 03:17 PM

If you can your own, canned vegetables are delicious. :)

I do almost all of our cooking from scratch for economical reasons... I'm pretty good at putting together dinners for less than a dollar a plate, sometimes less than fifty cents, and I couldn't do that if I were buying processed packaged stuff.

Pico and ME 03-12-2009 03:20 PM

If you wrote a planner for that I'd buy it.

dar512 03-12-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 544538)
Yuck...I cant stand how mushy they are.

You're not the first to tell me that. From my experience, I am in a tiny minority in favor of canned peas - and it's a moot issue for me anyway.

Pico and ME 03-12-2009 03:46 PM

My husband is in your small group. He prefers canned green beans too. And beets. And spinach.

Oh well.

Tiki 03-13-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 544553)
If you wrote a planner for that I'd buy it.

Huh, maybe I should write a Great Depression II cookbook. :lol:

Shawnee123 03-13-2009 09:04 AM

dar, I like canned peas too. The only other kind of peas I like (LOVE) are straight from the field, shelled, and rinsed. Raw sweet peas are better than candy.

Just about any frozen vegetable turns my stomach. Either fresh or canned, for me.

kerosene 03-13-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiki (Post 544726)
Huh, maybe I should write a Great Depression II cookbook. :lol:

I would buy it, too!

Tiki 03-13-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by case (Post 544817)
I would buy it, too!

Well, now I'm seriously considering it... thanks for the idea!