The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hurricane Rita: a photo journal (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=9211)

plthijinx 09-22-2005 08:27 AM

Hurricane Rita: a photo journal

2 Attachment(s)
i am going to post as much as possible over the next few days until i loose 1. power or 2. internet connection. the following photos were taken this morning just before 8 a.m. i do have to ferry several planes to mexia texas (near waco) and plan on taking pictures of the fleeing traffic. we'll see what happens.

plthijinx 09-22-2005 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the first two: 1. looking NNE from my driveway 2. East and 3. SSE

Kitsune 09-22-2005 08:49 AM

Stand in the middle of your home, take a picture. Turn, take a picture. Repeat until you've done a full circle, then repeat for each room in the entire house. Burn them to a CD and take them with you.

I know you're 50 miles inland, but this is a very impressive storm.

plthijinx 09-22-2005 09:11 AM

done. i am, however, flying back from mexia today. as the track is going, i'm now on the west side of the storm which is better.

plthijinx 09-22-2005 09:47 AM

another thing that sucks at present is EVERYONE is using their cell phones and it's phucking up the system. you can make land line calls but the cell phone? you might get through about every 10th or so attempt.

Cyclefrance 09-22-2005 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plthijinx
i am going to post as much as possible over the next few days until i loose 1. power or 2. internet connection. the following photos were taken this morning just before 8 a.m. i do have to ferry several planes to mexia texas (near waco) and plan on taking pictures of the fleeing traffic. we'll see what happens.

This link may make interesting companion piece - updates every 30 mins if you remember to refresh

busterb 09-22-2005 04:51 PM

Thanks for link, Cyc. Never found it before.

plthijinx 09-22-2005 11:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
k, it was an interesting day. i requested to be picked up at a local airport to my house so i wouldn't have to worry about traffic. heh. i didn't realize it would be AIR traffic! the sugarland airport, a muni, was the bussiest i've ever seen it. small terminal and people were over flowing to the front porch as well as the back. following are a couple of pics from the air of the main ramp and the next is a bunch of planes waiting for an "intersection departure". there were at least 10 others waiting at the threshold.

plthijinx 09-22-2005 11:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the next are various circuits out of the city via hwy 90A, hwy 59S, hwy 59N as well as a few others:

plthijinx 09-22-2005 11:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more:

plthijinx 09-22-2005 11:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
on the way home we were talking about the door coming open and how it affects the airplane. not 5 minutes later the phucker blew! and a shot of downtown just for kicks....oh, yeah, when the door gave way, we were north of houston enroute to DWH or David Wayne Hooks airport. we thought we'd fixed the problem but on take off from there, right before rotation the door blew again. abort take off. *think* we fixed the door again. nope. right after rotation BAM! we are committed to take off so we do. then after we assess the situation, we continue the flight back to la porte airport with the door open. in a single engine it's really no big deal but in a twin you have to hang onto it and keep it as shut as possible. safe? yes and no. if you know what your doing and don't turn a non-emergency into an emergency, you'll be ok.

plthijinx 09-22-2005 11:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
you guys remember the phuck up two weeks ago where the dumb ass ran out of fuel? got the pics today:

plthijinx 09-22-2005 11:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more: pretty benign for flipping a plane.....

plthijinx 09-22-2005 11:31 PM

then i think i mentioned somewhere here that our aerostar is no more. it was worse than i thought and definitely pilot error. homeboy stalled the airplane on take off, belly-landed and about 3 minutes after they egressed the phucker blew up!! no fucking shit people! it was right out of the movies! everyone escapes and BOOM! too bad the local news paper in Mexia (pronounced meh-hay-uh) don't put their shit online because they had a pic before the explosion, one during and one after on their front page. *un-fucking-believable*

plthijinx 09-23-2005 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
almost 1:00 and no rain but gusts to 30ish mph.....