The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   When it becomes Hillary v McCain (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=17114)

Griff 04-26-2008 10:42 AM

When it becomes Hillary v McCain

Where is your vote going? I might just write in Radar.

skysidhe 04-26-2008 11:07 AM

Bruce!

no wait...he is so traditional.

umm ok I am thinking McCain but I have to wait to see how the general election goes. Hilary is my canadate but she isn't going to be allowed to steal the nomination.
oh, snap...did I say steal?:smack:

Trilby 04-26-2008 11:52 AM

did I ever mention that I think McCain is HOTT?

hee heee!! I know it makes you guys sick!

Radar 04-26-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 448565)
Where is your vote going? I might just write in Radar.

I appreciate your vote and I think you're being very premature in assuming it will be Hillary vs. McCain. I think they will be consoling each other after they both lose to Obama.

lookout123 04-26-2008 03:04 PM

yeah, what was it you said? it would take a dead girl or a live boy to keep Obama from winning?

we'll see about that. it could just be that his own words (just words, anyone?) didn't really excite enough people into believing he'd make a good president.

Anyway, out of those three I have to vote for McCain even if I've never been a fan. He isn't in love with universal healthcare and not a big fan of higher taxes for the supposed rich.

Radar 04-26-2008 03:44 PM

McCain isn't in favor of universal healthcare, but he is in favor of staying in an unconstitutional war of aggression that is costing more than any universal healthcare plan would ever cost, and which is killing American kids, and making America the scourge of the world. He thinks we should stay 100 years if necessary.

We've spent more money in Iraq than it would cost to provide insurance to each and every single person in America (documented or not) for the next 30 years.

I'll take higher taxes and less dead Americans than to make more enemies around the world, spend my daughter and her grandchildren into debt by throwing money away when it could be used to help people, etc. I consider income taxes to be slavery, but if I'm going to be enslaved anyway, I'd rather see it for a better cause than an unjustifiable, unwarranted, unprovoked, and unconstitutional war.

Also, no tax increase by Democrats will ever equal the HUGE and invisible tax increase we got from Bush in the form of inflation and a weaker dollar. He's reduced our income and our spending ability by more than any Democrat could have.

Sundae 04-26-2008 04:19 PM

Amended:
Quote:

We've spent more money in Iraq than it would cost to build and staff NHS hospitals for the next 30 years.

I'll take higher taxes and less dead British soldiers than to make more enemies around the world, spend my niece & nephew into debt by throwing money away when it could be used to help people, etc and lose us the Eurovision Song Contest year after year. I'll pay my taxes regardless, but I'd rather see it for a better cause than an unjustifiable, unwarranted, unprovoked, and unconstitutional war.
Mostly agree. Wow - me & Radar. Nothing against you bub, but I figure we're pretty much opposite ends of the political spectrum on most topics.

TheMercenary 04-26-2008 09:26 PM

It strikes me as the 2000 and 2004 vote. Two really fucked up choices. Choose the best of the worst. Like a bad poker hand either way you go you are going to lose all yer frigging money.

I will never vote for Hitlery, I would rather not vote for McCain.

A Demoncratic Congress and a Demoncratic President would lead to nothing more than wealth redistribution and errosion of the Second Amendment.

McCain.
[holding nose]

Griff 04-27-2008 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar (Post 448603)
I appreciate your vote and I think you're being very premature in assuming it will be Hillary vs. McCain. I think they will be consoling each other after they both lose to Obama.

Let's hope you're right but I don't know if you can win the Democratic nomination without white unionists. Hillary is pushing the "fighter" line right now which is exactly why I don't want her in the White House. We need to take it down a notch for a few years. It'd be nice to split the branches between the parties. A President who is nonconfrontational might even work with the other side ending up with balanced policies.

Undertoad 04-27-2008 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 448720)
A Demoncratic Congress and a Demoncratic President would lead to nothing more than wealth redistribution and errosion of the Second Amendment.

This objection is getting less and less relevant. It didn't happen in 1992... and an R pres and R congress for 6 years spent like a drunken Orange County housewife on Rodeo drive.

lookout123 04-27-2008 10:23 AM

Quote:

He thinks we should stay 100 years if necessary.
Did he say that? Did he really?

Happy Monkey 04-27-2008 12:06 PM

Yes.

He did make the nonsensical caveat "as long as Americans are not being injured or harmed or wounded or killed." So maybe he was pretending that the question was, "If Americans stop being injured, harmed, wounded, and killed, how many years should we keep a military base in Iraq?"

"Why not 100?"

xoxoxoBruce 04-27-2008 04:25 PM

Oh goodie, we can have a Guantanamo in Iraq. :rolleyes:

lookout123 04-27-2008 08:56 PM

Quote:

"Why not 100?"
Do we have bases in Germany? Japan? Any other spots where once we were in a shooting war?

Happy Monkey 04-27-2008 08:58 PM

Once?

That's where the analogy falls apart.