The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   July 13, 2010: $$$ Laundry (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=23148)

xoxoxoBruce 07-12-2010 10:59 PM

July 13, 2010: $$$ Laundry

Laundering U.S. dollars, in Zimbabwe. ;)

http://cellar.org/2010/moneywash.jpg

Quote:

These $1 bills are essential currency in the African country and putting them through the washing machine is the only way to ensure they remain hygenic. Low denomination U.S. bank notes change hands until they fall apart, and the bills are routinely carried in underwear and shoes through crime-ridden slums.
Some have become almost too smelly to handle, so Zimbabweans have taken to putting their $1 bills through a spin cycle and hanging them up to dry with clothes pins. It's the best solution - apart from rubber gloves or disinfectant wipes.
So next time you roll a bill to snort that line, you might wonder where it's been.:whofart:

link

Cloud 07-12-2010 11:14 PM

Wallets For Zimbabwe!

You can text your contribution to me.

monster 07-13-2010 09:19 AM

That was really interesting, thanks :)

Could someone please tell my kids that it isn't necessary for coins, though. Or rocks. Or dead worms....

Sheldonrs 07-13-2010 09:28 AM

The story reminds me of when i worked at a text book store when I went to Rutgers U. A lot of students would pay for their books with tons of singles because they were working as waiters, waitresses, etc. One day, a lady came in to pick up her course books and handed me about 250.00 in singles. I asked her where she was waitressing, thinking she'd find it funny that I could guess her profession from the cash. WRONG! Not waitress, ...exotic dancer!
I washed my hands several times after she left.

Coign 07-13-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs (Post 670475)
The story reminds me of when i worked at a text book store when I went to Rutgers U. A lot of students would pay for their books with tons of singles because they were working as waiters, waitresses, etc. One day, a lady came in to pick up her course books and handed me about 250.00 in singles. I asked her where she was waitressing, thinking she'd find it funny that I could guess her profession from the cash. WRONG! Not waitress, ...exotic dancer!
I washed my hands several times after she left.

Wait. You are saying there actually is a stripper out there who is doing that to pay her way through college and she wasn't just lying to me?

This changes EVERYTHING!

Sheldonrs 07-13-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coign (Post 670485)
Wait. You are saying there actually is a stripper out there who is doing that to pay her way through college and she wasn't just lying to me?

This changes EVERYTHING!

Not really. She WAS lying to you. Just not about THAT. :D

limey 07-13-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster (Post 670473)
That was really interesting, thanks :)

Could someone please tell my kids that it isn't necessary for coins, though. Or rocks. Or dead worms....

But I expect the worms were alive when they were put in the washing machine ...

Gravdigr 07-13-2010 01:10 PM

I've wished for a law, for long time now, that the people you give your money to at the fast food places can't be the same people who handle/prepare your food. Ever seen a kid ride up on his bike, go into Mickey D's, order a burger, and then reach down into his shoe (or worse) and hand the money to the teenager behind the counter?

Money is good, but, it's nasty.

tombstone 07-13-2010 03:10 PM

According to the news, 90% of the one-dollar bills in Florida have cocaine on them. Might not be such a bad idea to start washing our bills here, too.

monster 07-13-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tombstone (Post 670541)
According to the news, 90% of the one-dollar bills in Florida have cocaine on them. Might not be such a bad idea to start washing our bills here, too.

Then drying out the laundry water and selling the residue in baggies on the street corner? Might pay off the national debt....

monster 07-13-2010 03:51 PM

http://www.snopes.com/business/money/cocaine.asp

Sheldonrs 07-13-2010 04:18 PM

Does this mean that large portions of our cocaine bears traces of money?

SPUCK 07-14-2010 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 670508)
I've wished for a law, for long time now, that the people you give your money to at the fast food places can't be the same people who handle/prepare your food. Ever seen a kid ride up on his bike, go into Mickey D's, order a burger, and then reach down into his shoe (or worse) and hand the money to the teenager behind the counter?

Money is good, but, it's nasty.

It is a law..:cool:

Gravdigr 07-15-2010 01:30 PM

Needs to be enforced then.

ZenGum 07-16-2010 06:51 AM

Open your wallet. Take out a note. What do you reckon the odds are that that note has been in a stripper's G-string?