The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   J bought me a Kala ukelele bass for my birthday (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34651)

Undertoad 11-15-2019 11:07 AM

J bought me a Kala ukelele bass for my birthday

Flint 11-15-2019 12:35 PM

Those urethane strings are wild. Lower vibrations on a short scale, I guess?

It sounds amazing. Do your fingers have room?

Undertoad 11-15-2019 12:51 PM

The string spacing is definitely tighter than a typical bass. It's about halfway between bass spacing and guitar spacing. With that, and the fact it's fretless with a whole new length, it's a nice challenge.

Yeah and the strings are all wobbly, cos right, that's how it gets the low notes out, by being all loose.

I'll take it to open mics, because suddenly I play an instrument that's wildly light and portable. Never had that before.

Flint 11-15-2019 01:24 PM

Light, portable instrument. I'm jealous. I've experimented with minimal setups, but I really can't be useful without an instrument attached to both feet--so, a bass drum and a hi-hat stand. The two most clumsy, least portable things.

Interesting that the strings are wobbly. It's like tuning a drum lower and it changes the rebound.

lumberjim 11-15-2019 01:45 PM

neat! happy birthday!

Gravdigr 11-15-2019 01:55 PM

Whut Jim said.

Undertoad 11-15-2019 02:29 PM

Quote:

It's like tuning a drum lower and it changes the rebound.
Exactly that! People wouldn't expect it to make any difference, but it's huge! Musician nerd alert

I was just watching Jaco Pastorious video from long ago, where he said, when I want to play fast, I pluck the strings down near the bridge. And I'm like, OMG, I never thought of that, but he's completely right. Down at the bridge, where the strings are anchored, they hardly wobble at all. At the middle of the string, they really move a lot. You have to fight all that, because you are actually forcing it to move a different direction.

With a drum, you're actually fighting with a lot of moving air, trying to get it to move differently...

Flint 11-15-2019 02:40 PM

*nerd alert*

18" bass drums don't just sound different than 22" ones-- it's a completely different instrument. 22 inches of diaphragm can "absorb" the kinetic impact of the beater, 18 inches cannot, and the beater "bounces" back at you. This is regardless of tuning, type of heads. It's just a physical characteristic of a that-sized object.

lumberjim 11-15-2019 02:44 PM

The sound of a pick is brighter when you pick near the bridge too. Conversely, if you want a softer lighter sounding chord, strum above the 20th fret. Jimmy page does a kind of swirling motion on some songs if you watch for it.

Flint 11-15-2019 02:49 PM

Jimmy Page parts *sound* swirly, didn't know they literally were.

What y'all are saying about playing near the frets is exactly like playing closer to the edge of a snare drum-- tighter, pluckier, better action, more articulate.

lumberjim 11-15-2019 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 1041467)
Jimmy Page parts *sound* swirly, didn't know they literally were.

What y'all are saying about playing near the frets is exactly like playing closer to the edge of a snare drum-- tighter, pluckier, better action, more articulate.

nearer the bridge would be tighter like the edge of drum.. the fret side is more in the middle of the string, so more rebound and less sparkly.

Flint 11-15-2019 03:02 PM

eh--bridge --yes, my oops

Griff 11-15-2019 03:27 PM

That, my friend, is damn cool.