The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2/24/2004: Pesticide spraying in Java (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5127)

Undertoad 02-24-2004 02:20 PM

2/24/2004: Pesticide spraying in Java

http://cellar.org/2004/javapesticide.jpg

I was struck by this recent MSNBC pick. In our modern world, this would be a terrible violation of our rights. In Java, in poverty, getting rid of a disease means getting rid of the insects that spread it, and it looks like there's little choice in the matter.

I guess sometimes the firm hand of an authority is needed to prevent a spreading pestilence, even if it seems on the face of it to be a violation. This woman's grandchildren may get cancer in 20 years, but she and her family won't be wiped out this year.

Happy Monkey 02-24-2004 02:57 PM

Violation of rights? The whole DC area is sprayed for mosquitos/caterpillars, etc most summers. Pesticides fill the air in any farming area. The victim of a termite infestation (or their insurance) must have an exterminator over, or risk lawsuits from neighbors.

But the poor guy ought to have some sort of gas mask, and the family should be told to stay away for a while.

Leah 02-24-2004 03:15 PM

Hell, that's what I'm like when I see one little cockroach in my place, I spray it to death (until it's all white a foamy) then squash it before it runs away, I'm satisfied then.
I Hate any creepy crawly especially spiders.:rar: :rattat:

jinx 02-24-2004 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:3eye:

jinx 02-24-2004 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Leah
when I see one little cockroach in my place
Cockroach? I'd freakin' move.

Leah 02-24-2004 03:54 PM

Sydney is inundated with these horrible little critters. I just keep spraying and doing my bit for the ozone. I only have little ones, (not many but enough to make me puke). Some people have the huge flying ones the size if a hand. :rattat:
It's the heat that brings them out. All insect sprays are selling quickly at supermarkets. Good industry to be in.:nuke:

glatt 02-24-2004 04:02 PM

Actually, DDT is a benefactor of all humanity. It's just bad for the coastal birds like the Bald Eagle. DDT is a great way to stop hundreds of thousands of people dying from malaria each year. It doesn't harm humans (when used properly.) Don't misunderstand, I'm glad it was banned. It is pretty harmful to sea birds. But it was great for humans.

As for government spraying being a violation of our rights: that's just crazy talk. I remember as a kid in the late 1970s, we had a huge problem with dutch elm disease. Trucks would drive through the neighborhoods at night when people were inside and spray the shit out of all the trees in the neighborhood. That's not to mention all the spreying for skeeters that happend then and happens now. It's one of the few good gov't programs.

jinx 02-24-2004 04:28 PM

Just shore birds??

Does a number on important microorganisms too, like algae and plankton.

xoxoxoBruce 02-24-2004 06:58 PM

That looks like a real gas.

Slartibartfast 02-24-2004 07:50 PM

Microsoft should learn how to debug from these guys.

chrisinhouston 02-24-2004 09:47 PM

I've got a fogger like that one. We use it for photo shoots in outdoor areas that need a lot of fog. It uses some kind of 2 cycle engine that superheats the fogger juice and probels it out. It's REAL LOUD but it puts out a lot of fog. We don't use insecticide but some kind of non lethal fog juice from Hollywood.

Torrere 02-24-2004 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast
Microsoft should learn how to debug from these guys.
But it would probably kill off a lot of features, too!

Oh, wait.

wolf 02-25-2004 12:37 AM

That's not a bug. It's an undocumented feature!

xoxoxoBruce 02-25-2004 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by chrisinhouston
We don't use insecticide but some kind of non lethal fog juice from Hollywood.
Great White believed that too.:)

Blizz 02-25-2004 11:28 AM

I'm in Utah. I have 44 ounces of caffienated love on my desk. I agree though...Brazil sounds pretty damn amazing. Has anyone been to "Fiesta" in San Antonio? I'm heading down there for business in April during Fiesta...just curious if I need to pack some bead necklaces...

I lived in NYC for a couple of years...too may cockroaches to begin describing. I was too poor to buy Insect Killer...resorted to the ol' hairspray and a lighter technique.

Buenos Roaches.