The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   NJ politics (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=6528)

lookout123 08-12-2004 02:06 PM

NJ politics

I'm completely unfamiliar with New Jersey's politics but if i'm reading this correctly, the governor is resigning for what sounds like an honorable reason. it sounds like he ran on his ability to stop the corruption, but his own staff is disgracing him in his efforts so he is stepping down.

if that is accurate is sounds like this is the first instance of an honorable politician in a very long time.

anyone closer to the area have the real scoop?

lookout123 08-12-2004 02:53 PM

um, ok, a local news story is saying that there will be press conference today, but that he may resign. apparently there is going to be a sexual harassment suit against him from a former male staffer.

story

lookout123 08-12-2004 04:03 PM

and there you have it. he just held his press conference and admitted to his gay affair with a staffer.

breakingnews 08-12-2004 04:04 PM

Well, sure you've all heard, but McGreevey is gay and resigning from his position. Quite a shocking announcement, if you ask me. (Though I vaguely remember that the fact that he's gay has been a topic of gossip since his election.)

Lots of debate swirling now ... is he resigning because of fundraising controversy, corruption and other things he's being targeted for? For the civil suit against him by a former male aide? For having an affair with that aide?

Probably saw his chances better this way after how the Clinton ordeal blew up.

anon 08-12-2004 04:37 PM

Even by NJ standards McGreevey is far from "an honorable politician". The sleeze factor has been steadily overtaking his administration for a while.

I don't think he is resigning simply because he is gay(which, while not necessarily public knowledge before today, has been a longstanding rumor) or because he had a gay affair. My suspicion is that it is a pre-emptive action and that there is a lot more here that may or may not become public, depending on how aggressive the media is in following up this story.

russotto 08-12-2004 09:47 PM

Edwin Edwards (D-LA) once bragged that the only way he could lose was to be caught with a live boy or a dead girl. I fear McGreevey's next revelation.

xoxoxoBruce 08-21-2004 12:10 AM

Oh dear, the Gov was a victim of the MOSSAD. Well that's a relief, I was afraid he was a victim of his own damn stupidity. :rolleyes:

wolf 08-21-2004 12:34 AM

After I read the article and readjusted my tinfoil hat, I headed for the home page for that site.

I think that's the first site that boldly proclaims the fact of the zionist conspiracy that I've seen that wasn't from a white supremacist group.

99 44/100% pure 08-21-2004 08:42 AM

Yeah, and the only place in the world where you'll find references to a dangerous Jewish guy named "Jimbo."

xoxoxoBruce 08-21-2004 11:19 AM

Quote:

Cienfuegos,
I will re-state what I e-mailed you last week. Your site’s blatant anti-Semitism, it will not be tolerated! If your words cause negative action and you scream fire in a crowded theater, a response will be in order. .We at the Southern California District of the Jewish Defense League just drew the line. Dare not cross it!
Jimbo…

Shalom
Isn't "shalom" after "Jimbo" like saying, "I'm going to kill you, have a nice day"? :lol:
I noticed "Jimbo" didn't accuse them of lying, just being anti-semitic.

Trilby 08-21-2004 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Isn't "shalom" after "Jimbo" like saying, "I'm going to kill you, have a nice day"? :lol:
I noticed "Jimbo" didn't accuse them of lying, just being anti-semitic.

Some people find it extremely important to be polite, no matter what the circumstance. I found this whole thing hilarious and, like wolf, am adjusting my tin-foil hat... ;)

xoxoxoBruce 08-21-2004 09:19 PM

Tin foil hats for everyone, it seems everyone mentioned has an axe to grind.
Polite is nice but that's like.......thank you in advance for paying the ransome to get the rest of your wife back. :hafucking