The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mathematics? It's all just life. (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5625)

Catwoman 04-23-2004 05:30 AM

Mathematics? It's all just life.

I am a writer and looking for ideas based on the 'life is just maths' theorem, e.g. how a beautiful face is just a measure of symmetry, and butterfly-flaps-wings-world-war-three-breaks-out type formulae. Any ideas?

Beestie 04-23-2004 08:17 AM

Nature follows some pretty basic but very elegant mathematical patterns.I would check out Fibonacci numbers , the golden rectangle and logarithmic spirals.

I'm not a big fan of chaos theory and, but for the beauty of the metaphor, the "butterfly effect" idea with its stretched-to-the-breaking-point logic would have never made it out of the research paper it originally appeared in.

You can also get some really cool ideas from scientists who have tried to explain physics in lay terms like Richard Feynman and Stephen Hawking but that might take a little longer than what you had in mind.

Good luck - sounds like a cool project. If possible, why not post the story here when you are through with it. I'd love to read it as I'm sure many here would.

SteveDallas 04-23-2004 08:20 AM

A classic.

Catwoman 04-29-2004 04:54 AM

Thanks Beest, I may well do that, although it is some way off completion...

That Fibonacci thing is interesting, and has presented a somewhat animated discussion point for at least two dinner parties. Cheers :beer:

Slartibartfast 04-30-2004 01:25 PM

Another Classic

MrKite 05-22-2004 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Slartibartfast
Another Classic
Wow. :thumb:

DanaC 05-22-2004 07:03 AM

I read a story years ago...cant for the life of me recaol either title or author. It was part of a collection of short stories. The basic premise was a time travel holiday firm. You could buy a trip back in time but it was all very tramlined. You had to stay on the "path" which existed sperately from its surroundings. At no point were you to step fro the path....The central character steps from the path....a minor adventure ensues whilst he attempts not to alter history....By the time he gets back to the path it seems he has succeeded in not damaging or affecting anything major. Just a butterfly dies thats all.
When he is returned to his own time he steps into the travelcentre lobby and the signs are all written in a strange format, more like old english than modern. As he leaves the travel station he sees more and more differences. he had chanegd the past when he killed the butterfly....Ok it wasmuch better the waythe wrter did it...I am recalling from 12 years ago and am a tad stoned.

(edited to say i think the writer was JG Ballard )

Undertoad 05-22-2004 07:09 AM

It's a famous Rob't Heinlein story but I can't remember the title.

DanaC 05-22-2004 07:31 AM

There is a Heinlein story that is similar but the one i am thinking about I am pretty sure is a JG Ballard story. I just went looking at some bookcovers online and i think it was a short story in the collection "Myths of the Near Future"....

I used to love Heinlein's stories though. The Cat Who Walked Through Walls, Job and Time Enough for Love are my favourites.

wolf 05-22-2004 11:47 AM

It's a Ray Bradbury, isn't it?

edit to add: Yes, it is.

DanaC 05-22-2004 12:11 PM

Yes! thats the one.

Troubleshooter 05-24-2004 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
It's a famous Rob't Heinlein story but I can't remember the title.
I've read quite a number of Heinlein's books and don't recall a premise like that.

Could you work on it? I'd like to add it to my collection.

wolf 05-24-2004 11:27 AM

It has already been established that the story in question was by Ray Bradbury, and is called "A Sound of Thunder."

(That's the story that I linked to in my post above.)

Catwoman 05-26-2004 09:30 AM

Thanks for the Ray Bradbury guys... good foundations, kind of thing I'm looking for. Anything else you can think of would be great :)

Happy Monkey 05-26-2004 09:46 AM

Larry Niven wrote several short stories using time travel, which remind me of the Bradbury premise. Niven's books are more lighthearted, though. His premise is that since time travel is fantasy, a time machine would send you to mythological times, with dragons, unicorns, etc. They center around a big game hunter collecting specimens for the royal zoo.