The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A case of mistaken orientation (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=5545)

lumberjim 04-14-2004 11:55 AM

A case of mistaken orientation

For the Straight people:
Have you ever been "hit on" by a gay person? What did you do?

For Gay people:
I'm sure you've been hit on by the opposite sex. What do you do?

Happy Monkey 04-14-2004 11:59 AM

Yes. A guy at the ATM complimented my hair several times. I asked him if he was waiting for something, he asked if I was straight, and I said yes. He apologized and left.

blue 04-14-2004 12:01 PM

My wife tells me I'm the least observant person she knows.

And since I can't tell when I'm hit on by women, I've no idea if I've been hit on by a guy or not. I do know I've run into some that are just too friendly.

lumberjim 04-14-2004 12:03 PM

or is this too touchy a subject?

When I was a salesman, I took a test drive with a 40-45 yr old guy who was very complimentary to me about my looks. It made my skin crawl. I don;t think he actually hit on me, but he was definatley testing the water. I made sure to mention my wife several times.

When I was a waiter at Denny's, I had a steven segal type pony tail, and I had several offers from guys named Ramone. whook!

maybe I'm a homophobe. jinx says I am. I dunno, I'm not scared of gay people, but I am a little insensitive toward them at times.......

Pie 04-14-2004 12:06 PM

I was once invited to play for the other team. I said, "No, but thanks" and that was the end of that.

We still go drinking every couple of months...

- Pie

Telefunken 04-14-2004 12:10 PM

A corollary to this thread is "Do people mistake you for gay?"

I have this experience because I'm sensitive, eloquent, and I take care of my appearances. Also I have a background in creative arts.

OnyxCougar 04-14-2004 12:18 PM

**was going to comment, then realized it was a little too much information to be giving out**

elf 04-14-2004 12:25 PM

*goes over to stand by OnyxCougar in the mum section* :3eye:

lumberjim 04-14-2004 12:32 PM

*will now dedicate his life to finding out what cougar and elf AREN'T telling us* :)

Elspode 04-14-2004 12:32 PM

I've never been hit on by a guy. I think that, for some reason, I project this massive hetero wave or something. I know *lots* of gay people, many of them close friends, so I know I don't radiate homophobic vibes (don't really have any of which I'm aware...my father was bi, and we had lots of female impersonators around the house when I was growing up).

I am, however, also utterly unaware when women are flirting with me. I just figure it is completely impossible, so I don't notice it. Mrs. Elspode, on the other hand, has pointed out to me a few such incidents which she observed as being particularly flagrant on the part of other women, so I guess it does happen, if her judgement is to be believed.

I dunno. I'm not much to look at, I don't have money, I dress poorly, I'm rather aged and coarse, so what's to like?

SteveDallas 04-14-2004 12:36 PM

To my knowledge, I've never been hit on by anybody.

But it's possible I'm as clueless as Elspode and blue58.

blue 04-14-2004 02:47 PM

HA, I used to work with a gay guy, he was really cool but everybody pussyfooted around the issue. So my co-workers threw me a birthday bash one night, I'm actually doing shots (I never drink liqour), so I'm all like "let's straighten this shit out right now", "Scott, you're gay right?"....and he says, Yeah...dude, when you hired me I had orange hair for gods sake, I figured everybody knew".

Except for me, Mr. Observant. Anyhoo, it was all cool after that and everyone lightened up a LOT now that it was out in the open, used to test out gay jokes on him...he cracked up when he found out we referred to the Vikings stadium as the Homodome.

lumberjim 04-14-2004 02:52 PM

oh christ. your somebody's boss?

SteveDallas 04-14-2004 03:02 PM

Yeah, so am I. Scary, ain't it??? :worried:

mrnoodle 04-14-2004 03:11 PM

I get hit on by guys more often than I do by girls. I dunno why. The first time it happened I thought the guy was trying to sell me drugs. I couldn't get him to tell me what it was he was trying to sell. When the light switched on, I was completely at a loss for words. Umm. Thanks. Umm. No, I umm. No.

I'm the least "fabulous" person you ever met, I don't lisp my esses, I go catatonic whenever Jessica Alba is on TV. Straight women know I'm straight. Straight men know I'm straight. Gay men think I'm gay. Go figure.

My ex tells me it's because in person, I'm flirting with everyone whether I realize it or not. That kind of worries me.