The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   DOG (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=30860)

lumberjim 12-04-2015 08:33 AM

That WAS cool. Thanks for the regular you tube link. I couldn't tell if that was a real lobster or a decoy they use for training put there by the camera person... Or maybe even a trained lobster?

Gravdigr 12-14-2015 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 54454

xoxoxoBruce 12-18-2015 03:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lets see your cat do this. But I suppose it you had a cat instead you wouldn't bother to work on the brakes. No sense it wanting to live. :p:

Gravdigr 12-20-2015 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Three happy doggehs:

Attachment 54540

Carruthers 12-20-2015 02:57 PM

On the subject of Border Collies...

DanaC 12-20-2015 03:08 PM

I love that vid! I've seen it before, but it gets me every time.

Mum's pure white collie-cross, Nelle,does the collie stalking walk. She looks fucking amazing when she does. It's so funny though, because she'll be silently stalking towards a bird or something and being really careful not to spook it and then Carrot will just plough right through and spoil the game. Not the most subtle dog, our Carrotcake.

xoxoxoBruce 12-20-2015 08:47 PM

The Collies are considerate, not wanting to disturb you before it's necessary.

Griff 12-21-2015 06:40 AM

I love my collie. Yesterday my Dad was going for a walk and made eye contact with Benny from a distance of 30 yards or so. Benny spun away and ran off. Then came sprinting back with a frisbee to keep the old man busy. My old man is not an animal guy but Benny has him wrapped around his little white paw.

xoxoxoBruce 12-21-2015 01:44 PM

Ha ha, they're smart, too damn smart. If you let your guard down they'll play you like a pinball machine until you drop.
Then lick your face and tease to play some more. http://cellar.org/2013/dog.gif

Gravdigr 12-29-2015 01:49 PM

Griff 12-29-2015 01:58 PM

Gravdigr 12-30-2015 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 54684

Gravdigr 01-01-2016 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 54718

xoxoxoBruce 01-04-2016 01:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dog posters...

Gravdigr 01-04-2016 05:15 AM

xoxoxoBruce 01-09-2016 02:20 AM

Oh, your cats catch mice... isn't that cute.

Sundae 01-09-2016 04:24 AM

Hmm. Don't know how I feel about that. Obviously I have to state my bias as a rat-owner. I know these dogs are not killing domestic rats, but seeing it is still going to be close enough to be uncomfortable.

Also, it's the sheer glee of the owners.
Diz and Dylan couldn't hunt - bless their furry chops - but I took no pleasure when Raphael and Gabriel brought home "gifts". I was certainly not impressed by the fully grown live magpie in the kitchen, although that was more because we were all terrified by it, rather than for animal-loving reasons.

I suppose if rats are a problem, then it's a natural and humane way to deal with them. It's fast and gives them a chance to use their skills, unlike poison bait or traps.
I just don't like to see humans getting so excited about the death of an animal.

fargon 01-09-2016 05:31 AM

These are nasty dirty rats, that bite children and spread disease.

xoxoxoBruce 01-09-2016 05:35 AM

And spoil crops, but worst of all those rat bastards are the ones that lured cats into their semi-domesticated lifestyle. :p:

DanaC 01-09-2016 05:37 AM

So we should revel in their death throes, laying down our vengeance on our tiny enemies?

Sundae's point was not that the rats should not be hunted. Indeed, she actually says:
Quote:

I suppose if rats are a problem, then it's a natural and humane way to deal with them. It's fast and gives them a chance to use their skills, unlike poison bait or traps.
What she was objecting to, and I agree with her point, was 'humans getting so excited about the death of an animal.'

xoxoxoBruce 01-09-2016 07:42 AM

Oh, you know these people? You're sure they aren't reveling in the skill, tenacity, and success of their dogs?
Jesus Dana, you've read enough history to know what a problem rats are, how many millions of people they've killed, not only from bites/infection, but disease, the plague, and starvation. Look at the wildlife that's been decimated by rats on islands they've gotten to. Mice are cute, Rats are stone evil.

Center for Disease Control
Quote:

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS): Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome (HPS) is a deadly disease transmitted by infected rodents through urine, droppings, or saliva. Humans can contract the disease when they breathe in aerosolized virus. HPS was first recognized in 1993 and has since been identified throughout the United States. Although rare, HPS is potentially deadly. Rodent control in and around the home remains the primary strategy for preventing hantavirus infection.

Murine Typhus: Murine typhus (caused by infection with R. typhi) occurs worldwide and is transmitted to humans by rat fleas. Flea-infested rats can be found throughout the year in humid tropical environments, but in temperate regions are most common during the warm summer months. Travelers who visit in rat-infested buildings and homes, especially in harbor or riverine environments, can be at risk for exposure to the agent of murine typhus.

Rat-bite fever (RBF): Rat-bite fever (RBF) is a systemic bacterial illness caused by Streptobacillus moniliformis that can be acquired through the bite or scratch of a rodent or the ingestion of food or water contaminated with rat feces.

Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium: As its name suggests, it causes a typhoid-like disease in mice. In humans S. Typhimurium does not cause as severe disease as S. Typhi, and is not normally fatal. The disease is characterized by diarrhea, abdominal cramps, vomiting and nausea, and generally lasts up to 7 days. Unfortunately, in immunocompromized people, that is the elderly, young, or people with depressed immune systems, Salmonella infections are often fatal if they are not treated with antibiotics.

Leptospirosis: Leptospirosis is a bacterial disease that affects humans and animals. It is caused by bacteria of the genus Leptospira. In humans it causes a wide range of symptoms, and some infected persons may have no symptoms at all. Symptoms of leptospirosis include high fever, severe headache, chills, muscle aches, and vomiting, and may include jaundice (yellow skin and eyes), red eyes, abdominal pain, diarrhea, or a rash. If the disease is not treated, the patient could develop kidney damage, meningitis (inflammation of the membrane around the brain and spinal cord), liver failure, and respiratory distress. In rare cases death occurs.

Eosinophilic Meningitis: Eosinophilic meningitis is an infection of the brain occurring in association with an increase in the number of eosinophils, white blood cells that are associated with infection with worms that penetrate into the body. The organism most commonly causing eosinophilic meningitis is a rat lung worm called angiostrongylus cantonensis.

fargon 01-09-2016 09:13 AM

Wild rats bad, Wild Cats good.

DanaC 01-09-2016 10:49 AM

Rats are not evil. They're just animals. I don't have a problem with killing them. I have killed rats myself.

Quote:

You're sure they aren't reveling in the skill, tenacity, and success of their dogs?
That, right there, is the only salient point in your post. I can get my head around being excited by my animal's skills and training. I cannot fathom how anybody would get a kick out of the rat'sdeath itself, and it baffles me that anybody can respond to a post about not liking to see humans revel in an animal's suffering with the justification that rats are evil/harmful/dangerous. Nobody denied they can cause terrible disease and suffering. Neither Sundae nor I have suggested that nobody should ever kill a rat.The harm rats have done and continue to do, is no reason to delight in their suffering.

Sundae made a point about not liking to see humans excited by the rats'deaths,and was answered with this: 'These are nasty dirty rats, that bite children and spread disease.' That,is a reallygood reason for killing rats. It's not a really good reason for enjoying it. Unless you feel some sort of vengeance is in order. And that - when applied to a rodent - is fucking ridiculous.

But yes - the flipside is that those people may have just been excited about their dogs' skills and the success of their training.

xoxoxoBruce 01-09-2016 11:36 AM

Balderdash, we should all have cupcakes and fizzy drinks in jubilation, every time one of those spawn of hell dies.
I can understand Sundae's affliction, she even feeds the flying rats, and bushy tailed tree rats, in the park.
But a historian should have a better grasp on the menace they are, and the stellar service these dogs perform on humanities behalf. The human companions celebration on our behalf, is certainly warranted. My only regret is the vermin are dispatched so quickly, there's no time to hang them by their disease ridden tails and watch their eyeballs boil and burst in the flames of justice.
Did you read about the human babies eaten alive in India, South Africa, Mexico and Kansas city, by this scourge?

Undertoad 01-09-2016 12:16 PM

If the city's vermin control was doing its job, those rats would not be torn apart by dogs. They would be dying a slow, two-week-long agonizing death due to shock and anemia after internal hemorrhaging.

DanaC 01-09-2016 12:33 PM

Like Sundae said - if they're going to die, then this is probably the kindest and most natural way.

sexobon 01-09-2016 01:13 PM

Perhaps it's also a natural coping mechanism for people who don't particularly want to kill animals; but, need to for their own safety, to band together in such a way as to get each other and their companion animals psyched up to perform an unpleasant task that needs to be done.

Undertoad 01-09-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 950826)
Like Sundae said - if they're going to die, then this is probably the kindest and most natural way.

I was surprised how much kinder.

As a 14 year old, I poisoned rats and managed the carcasses at a farmhouse nearly destroyed by low-class renters. I must have taken out 20 of them. I wish we had dogs. That would have been awesome.

busterb 01-09-2016 02:08 PM

Some where there's a record set by a rat terrier, in England, for the most rats killed in X amount of time. Boy it was a bunch.

Undertoad 01-09-2016 02:48 PM

And remarkable, because most dogs are not very bright.

http://cellar.org/2016/tvfetch.gif

xoxoxoBruce 01-09-2016 03:54 PM

They don't call the Rat Terriers for nothing. Granted they're one trick ponies but they know that trick well. Then too, when you get a bunch of them together, a rat or a ball/stick will prompt competition to get it first. Mobs are single minded and efficient that way. Those NYC rats are street tough, you can tell by the bloodshot eyes and hairy knuckles.

DanaC 01-09-2016 04:06 PM

And the switchblade.

Our westies killed a rat once. It was strange to watch, because neither had been trained to hunt. It was a fairly young rat I think, and had got inthe house and gone behind the sofa.

Griff 01-10-2016 09:39 AM

As a teen I got paid to clean out a barn for a guy that was moving. The loft had piles of old fiberglass insulation just full of rats. I don't know how many I pitchforked... that was grim work. I'd better be long gone before the rats inherit the earth.

DanaC 01-10-2016 10:48 AM

I remember having to finish off a dying rat in the back yard, after the exterminators had been in. That was not fun.

Gravdigr 01-14-2016 05:05 PM

Carruthers 01-16-2016 09:53 AM

http://s27.postimg.org/fh3otl3sz/Dog_in_the_snow.jpg

Quote:

A dog covered in snow on Pen y Fan in Brecon National Park, Wales
I think it might be a Spaniel of some description!

Gravdigr 01-21-2016 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dognapped!

Attachment 54948

Gravdigr 01-24-2016 12:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This dog is an artist.

And he's kinda good:

Attachment 54987

xoxoxoBruce 01-24-2016 09:07 PM

That's cause he's more black than white, they're naturals. :rolleyes:

Undertoad 01-27-2016 07:46 PM

http://cellar.org/2016/interception.gif

lumberjim 01-27-2016 09:36 PM

Very helpful

Griff 01-29-2016 05:25 PM

I laughed and laughed. So very dog.

xoxoxoBruce 02-03-2016 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A Greyhound Chair.

Gravdigr 02-03-2016 02:25 PM

I'll never, EVER, see a greyhound without thinking of this stool/chair/assprop/thing.

Gravdigr 02-04-2016 03:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey look, these cars came with pupholders.

Attachment 55133

I'll take the tiny French Bulldog. I'll name him Sluggo.

Attachment 55134

DanaC 02-04-2016 03:58 PM

I'll take the incorrectly coloured cartoon raccoon

Or the French Bulldog - or indeed the Great Dane

Undertoad 02-08-2016 09:53 PM

http://cellar.org/2016/ruffingthepasser.gif

super bowl special

xoxoxoBruce 02-08-2016 11:34 PM

Personal foul, facemask, unnecessary roughness, gloating, 15 yards.

Gravdigr 02-11-2016 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 55199

Gravdigr 02-11-2016 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Damn dog! He's always stealing someone's shoe...GAH!!

Attachment 55202

Pamela 02-11-2016 10:05 PM

Dat would be a hyena. A relative, but distant.

Gravdigr 02-11-2016 11:48 PM

In my experience, distant relatives are the best kind.

:D

Sundae 02-12-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 953373)
In my experience, distant relatives are the best kind

Only when they send you lovely prizes.
I'd take a cup of tea from a rellie who lives in the same town by preference.

Loved the child and dog.
I so knew what was going to happen (given the thread) but it still surprised me into a laugh hard enough to startle the poor old gent on the PC next to me.

Carruthers 02-12-2016 12:18 PM

Quote:

This is Jagger. Jagger is proving a bit of a headache for the RSPCA – he’s the biggest rescue dog they’ve ever had to find a home for.

The great Great Dane weighs 12 stone (168lbs/80kg), which is about the same weight as a 50cc Longjia scooter, or a family of 12 pugs, or 2,285 Creme Eggs.

Jagger also consumes almost 1kg of food every day.

While staff at the charity acknowledge that the three-year-old will need someone with a lot of space, and a generous food budget, to take him in, this big pup has an even bigger heart.

The RSPCA took him in after he was found tied to a lamp post, underweight and covered in sores.

‘Jagger is probably the biggest dog we’re ever had in – and we’ve been open for 50 years,’ said Liz Wood, assistant manager of the Millbrook Animal Centre in Chobham, Surrey, adding: ‘He really is a gentle giant. He’s a lovely docile and friendly boy.’
Metro

Daily Mirror (Includes video)

Where does he sleep?

Anywhere he likes!

http://s10.postimg.org/bdhdl87g9/Great_Dane_X_1.jpg

http://s12.postimg.org/jyv6y4rwd/Great_Dane_X_2.jpg

glatt 02-12-2016 01:11 PM

It takes two people with leashes to walk him!

xoxoxoBruce 02-12-2016 01:29 PM

Not unless you want him to go someplace other than where he wants to go. ;)

Quote:

Jagger also consumes almost 1kg of food every day
They don't mention the canine miracle, the ability to transform a pound of food into two pounds of poop.

Gravdigr 02-12-2016 01:35 PM

A lullaby that actually works:

Gravdigr 02-12-2016 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 55209

Quote:

...slobber...
:lol2:

glatt 02-12-2016 03:12 PM

I want to know which paper printed that. But it looks like it says "Advertisement" at the top of the article. So some awesome person paid to run that in the paper.

glatt 02-12-2016 03:14 PM

It was the New Zealand Herald