The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Birb (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=33374)

Undertoad 03-01-2018 07:03 PM

Birb

Prompted by Carruthers' interest in US birds of prey: the Hanover, PA bald eagles nest HD cam. It has IR so the nest is visible at night.

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wildl...leCamera2.aspx

There are two eggs there, and the birds switch off maintenance/warming duty. Right now it's raining, and the tending bird has its wings out, keeping a large area of the nest dry.

Camera one, non-IR, so not visible at night, but with sound:

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wildl...s/default.aspx

xoxoxoBruce 03-01-2018 10:00 PM

I went out to get my mail about 10 wearing just shoes. That rain is cold. Cover them eggs baby. :thumb:

Griff 03-02-2018 07:05 AM

Oh that's great!

I'm more a Franklin guy anymore so where's the turkey cam?

Gravdigr 03-02-2018 01:16 PM

Cool.

Thanks for posting this. I love birbs.

It makes me brunk watching the backgrounb when the eagle tree moves in the winb.

Carruthers 03-02-2018 02:03 PM

Thanks for that link, UT.

No leaves on the trees, 40F/4C and first egg on Feb 20th!
Hard work for the parents by the looks of it.

I hope that the Peregrine Falcons will nest on the county council tower block in Aylesbury later this year.
We don't have too many cliff faces hereabouts, so the local concrete monstrosity seems to be an acceptable substitute for a Peregrine des res.
When the webcam is up and running I'll post it here.

glatt 03-03-2018 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravdigr (Post 1004888)
It makes me brunk watching the backgrounb when the eagle tree moves in the winb.

That would have been cool to watch yesterday. They seem to have survived the storm ok this morning.

lumberjim 03-03-2018 04:48 PM

It made me sea sick

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2018 06:55 PM

Sent that link to someone in Texas, he told me to go stand under the tree and wave. I think he wants me to get bird pooped on. :eyebrow:

xoxoxoBruce 03-03-2018 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tit lovers rejoice. :celebrat:

Undertoad 03-09-2018 09:50 AM

I have become addicted to checking in on the Hanover eagles nest feed.

I will report in if they have a successful hatching and there are ig-lets to see.

limey 03-09-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce (Post 1004839)
I went out to get my mail about 10 wearing just shoes. That rain is cold. Cover them eggs baby. :thumb:

Just noticed this. Nekkid but for the shoes, eh?

Gravdigr 03-09-2018 12:00 PM

He wanted to know which way the wind was blowin'.;)

Carruthers 03-09-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1004834)
Prompted by Carruthers' interest in US birds of prey...

I've more or less given up hope of returning to the USA so I'll just have to be satisfied with spotting UK birds of prey.
This morning I walked down to the post office and within the first hundred yards was treated to the sight of three Red Kites and two Buzzards (US = Hawks).
The Kites are a common sight now and the Buzzards, although far more numerous, are lazy flyers and tend to rely on thermal activity.
I doubt if there was much ground heating up this morning, so I suppose they just had to make the effort to fly or else go hungry.

Griff 03-09-2018 02:43 PM

Pete and I saw three red tail hawks while skiing at Song Mtn last weekend. Pretty dramatic with the bright blue sky. We saw a flock of snow geese as well.

Griff 03-11-2018 08:22 AM

What a bird, gorgeous this morning. (smudge on camera one! who is going to climb up there?)

Undertoad 03-12-2018 09:54 PM

It got snowy. She just has to endure it

http://cellar.org/2017/snowoneagle.jpg

Griff 03-13-2018 06:43 AM

She has one job... and she's doing it.

Gravdigr 03-13-2018 02:44 PM

Been doing it millions of years.

Undertoad 03-15-2018 06:52 PM

Tonight's check-in was interesting

She's on the nest as usual, and suddenly positions herself differently and lets out a few loud screeches. A similar screech is heard in the distance. She then answers it.

It took him about a minute to arrive. They are near-identical, but he's a little larger. They exchange places on the eggs.

Both male and female parent birbs have a procedure, with the eggs. They don't just plop right down on them. They examine the eggs, nudge them around a little. They do a little housekeeping of the interior sitting zone.

Then they "nestle in" with the eggs. It's a whole big thing, every time. They get into position, and then they reach for the far side of the nest with the beak, and really pull their body into place. Then they do a cute rocking back n forth for about 5-10 seconds, to get the eggs into a solid position under their belly area.

There are about 10 other decent eagle cams out there, but this is actually the best one, with both regular and IR in high def (even with the smudge). And the best birbs. These are really good looking birbs.

Apparently one of 'em got a chipmunk.

Undertoad 03-15-2018 07:00 PM

http://cellar.org/2017/birbeggs.jpg

Undertoad 03-15-2018 07:07 PM

Actually this birb is quite good too, and HD, but not as pretty as the Hanover birbs, and the sound is ugly (at least as I write this)

https://explore.org/livecams/birds/d...les-north-nest

xoxoxoBruce 03-15-2018 07:29 PM

Iowa is more plain(s) folks, so not a pretty is expected. :haha:

Griff 03-16-2018 07:01 AM

I could watch her all day.

glatt 03-16-2018 07:16 AM

Every time I look at them, I'm so impressed by that nest. I've never seen an eagle collecting sticks and grass. I've seen a robin do it. To build such a sturdy nest with the interlocked sticks just really blows me a way. They are structural engineers.

Glinda 03-16-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 1005772)
Tonight's check-in was interesting

She's on the nest as usual, and suddenly positions herself differently and lets out a few loud screeches. A similar screech is heard in the distance. She then answers it.

It took him about a minute to arrive. They are near-identical, but he's a little larger. They exchange places on the eggs.

Both male and female parent birbs have a procedure, with the eggs. They don't just plop right down on them. They examine the eggs, nudge them around a little. They do a little housekeeping of the interior sitting zone.

Then they "nestle in" with the eggs. It's a whole big thing, every time. They get into position, and then they reach for the far side of the nest with the beak, and really pull their body into place. Then they do a cute rocking back n forth for about 5-10 seconds, to get the eggs into a solid position under their belly area.

There are about 10 other decent eagle cams out there, but this is actually the best one, with both regular and IR in high def (even with the smudge). And the best birbs. These are really good looking birbs.

Apparently one of 'em got a chipmunk.

I'm jealous. I'd really like to see both birbs at the same time, but every time I tune in, it's just one or the other on the nest. Guess I need to check in more often.

Undertoad 03-16-2018 12:44 PM

I check in a lot. I've seen the "nestling" a few times, because every 10 minutes the sitting birb will change position and also move the eggs a little.

lumberjim 03-16-2018 03:30 PM

the Sauces cam... https://explore.org/livecams/current...ces-bald-eagle

has 2 igglets hatched. I just saw them spatting. too cute/ugly

Griff 03-17-2018 09:01 AM

Nest full of offal right now.:)

Undertoad 03-17-2018 10:00 AM

According to the Facebook page for the birbs, which I only just now have found, they had a raccoon attack last night! :eek: Apparently mama gave him the smackdown and the eggs are fine.

Both cams seem offline right now...

lumberjim 03-17-2018 10:09 AM

damn coons. We have one in our neighborhood. He's been gnawing on the shingles at the corner of my next door neighbor's roof. I put a dart in his side Monday night with my blow gun, but he was undeterred. He stepped away, pulled out the dart, and ambled back. Then on Weds night, he was climbing the gutter of the house across the street, walking across the roof, and down the other gutter. Did it like 3 times. Like he was on the weed. zany

Griff 03-17-2018 10:26 AM

Jerk! hands off the baby birbs!

Undertoad 03-19-2018 08:02 PM

Birb atak!

The Facebookers are really good at catching and sharing events at the nest. The cam was down for a while and then there were reports of a strange eagle birb attacking the nest. This happened tonight, male-on-male attack.

Griff 03-20-2018 06:09 AM

Like a boss. I guess eagle numbers are up so prime real estate is in demand? We're seeing an eagle around the homestead. He must be setup on a small lake.

Undertoad 03-20-2018 09:12 AM

The FB page is now of the opinion that the female hasn't been seen in a while, and it's possible she is injured. The male has been calling out to no avail, and there was another breech of security this morning as the attacking eagle showed up again.

~ drama ~

glatt 03-20-2018 11:31 AM

Maybe she's hooking up with the attacking bald eagle and put him up to it. Just like Kathleen Turner in Body Heat.

Undertoad 03-20-2018 12:22 PM

The female isn't returning, and now the snow arrives... it looks very grim for the nest :( the eggs won't stay viable, and even if the male manages to keep them, the igg-lets won't stay alive with just one parent minding them.

The game commission, on the update page, says

Quote:

While the Game Commission does not have a biologist on the ground in the area, it does appear that there may be another adult eagle around the nest. "Extra" bald eagles may be adults that have not yet paired up and claimed a territory; they may attempt to interfere with this pair in order to claim a mate or territory. With the population filling the available habitat in many parts of Pennsylvania, it would not be surprising to see some increase in nest failure as a result of these interferences and competition disrupting the care of nest and young. The big take-away lesson, bald eagles are well-adapted to Pennsylvania. They are well-adapted at selecting nest sites, building nests, and caring for eggs and young. This is one of the great lessons of the Game Commission’s bald eagle recovery effort and its annual monitoring of active eagle nests. As bald eagles are filling available habitat in some parts of the state, there will be some conflicts between competing eagles. We have never in modern history been witness to such conflict events and we will all learn as we go. In most conceivable circumstances, nature will be allowed to take its course without intervention. Should an injured eagle end up grounded, the Game Commission could facilitate it’s transfer to a licensed rehabilitation facility.
I just want to say, how amazing that is. The attack tells us that the eagle population has now recovered to the point where adults are fighting for their space.

20 years ago there weren't many of them in the area, and the spotting of a nesting pair was a big deal. So this is great news. It means the water has enough fish and the forest has enough wildlife for them to prey upon.

Glinda 03-20-2018 12:53 PM

Oh this is sad news. I tuned in yesterday and the nest was empty - just the two eggs sitting there in the cold.

:(

glatt 03-22-2018 11:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Those eggs. :headshake Under a bunch of snow now.

Attachment 63470

Undertoad 03-22-2018 11:33 AM

Yeah,

This nest is now officially a failure

What happened is the female did not return at all, which suggests that she might have been injured in the attacks. The male incubated for a while on his own, but without the female, it won't work... he has to leave regularly to hunt. Yesterday he left for an hour and that was that. Snow covered the eggs, and they are done for.

The birb you are seeing there is the attacker lady birb. But sometimes the male seems to return instinctively from time to time, just to see if his woman has come back. Apparently, even if he does take up with the homewrecker, which may happen - It's too late in the season to start over with new eggs.

Undertoad 03-22-2018 11:49 AM

To add,

Apparently the lady birb is bringing sticks to the nest to entice the male into a new pairing.

The FB folks say that the previous female has been on this nest since 2004 with three different mates. She raised many chicks over the years but she is a senior birb and her time may be over.

Griff 03-23-2018 01:41 PM

reality is harsh

Griff 03-28-2018 06:05 AM

So I was on the 86 / 17 exchange, kamikaze curve in the vernacular, and three bald eagles appear. One circling lower while 2 and 3 appeared to be in a scrap. 2 was trying to sink talons into 3s back. I chose not to crash by following the action. It could have been foreplay but the 3rd bird makes me think it was a drama like Hanover.

Undertoad 05-04-2018 05:30 PM

http://cellar.org/2017/goldeneagle.jpg

Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre reports

Quote:

Just a BIT of excitement today at CWRC. A golden eagle! He was rescued from the ocean off Cape Sable Island by lobster fishers who saved his life. He's in surprisingly good shape, doesn't appear broken and does not have lead. We think he's just exhausted but we'll be xraying him and running more tests in the next couple of days.
LOOKIT DAT BIRB.

glatt 05-05-2018 08:26 AM

What's the drill for?!

Carruthers 05-05-2018 08:43 AM

Sheffield University Peregrine Falcon nest webcams.

I had hoped to be able to see the local Peregines on the Bucks County Council tower block in Aylesbury again this year.
However, due to some technical embuggerance or other, the webcams up there aren't working. Something of a disappointment, to say the least.

Bucks Peregrines 2018

Diaphone Jim 05-05-2018 11:44 AM

I just saw Lumberjim's post about Sauce's Canyon.
I've been watching them a couple of times a day for several weeks, along with another Santa Cruz Island nest.
Both at once here:
https://www.nps.gov/chis/learn/photo...gle-webcam.htm

As the chicks grow the Jaws quote often comes to mind: "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Gravdigr 05-05-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 1008111)
What's the drill for?!

They screw the birbs to the wall when they misbehave.

lumberjim 05-05-2018 03:33 PM

wow they got big fast!

limey 05-05-2018 04:14 PM

“embuggerance”! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diaphone Jim 05-29-2018 06:38 PM

It looks like the first of the Santa Cruz Island six bald eaglets is ready to solo. No telling which nest or when, but I am checking in for a few minutes twice a day.

https://www.nps.gov/chis/learn/photo...gle-webcam.htm

Undertoad 05-29-2018 06:58 PM

FEATHER PANTS

~

Two Decorah, IA eaglets died a few days ago... of a gnat infestation.

But it was interesting to learn why. The pair had their eggs really late in the season; turns out that's dangerous, because the young could not develop enough before the gnat season began.

All in the timing, all in nature...

Diaphone Jim 05-31-2018 12:13 PM

We have liftoff!
First Sauces Canyon Eaglet took off at 7:47 and the second at 9:10.
The third is thinking it over.
You can back up the live video to find the magic moments.
The other nest still has three.

Diaphone Jim 05-31-2018 03:03 PM

It now looks like two from Fraser Point brood also took wing just after noon.
Amazing to be the same day.

Undertoad 05-31-2018 05:00 PM

I'm looking at the remaining Sauces youngster - looks like they banded them? Convenient for the watchers to see who's who; the Hanover nest watchers were always arguing about which female was which. ("Is that the homewrecker?")

Diaphone Jim 05-31-2018 07:10 PM

Banded 2 or 3 weeks ago. The remaining one still has a lot more juvenile plumage than his/her mates. Most watchers expect them to come back to the nest, if only to get fed.

xoxoxoBruce 05-31-2018 07:17 PM

Probably be living in their parents basement for years. :haha:

Griff 06-01-2018 06:34 AM

Watching them thinking about waking up for the day, pretty damn cool.

Undertoad 12-01-2018 01:14 PM

The Hanover eagles feed returns Monday at noon EST. They posted an early test video of the pair of birbs doing nest maintenance. New cameras are up, the video appears to be very high def.

At 3:15 they start positioning the same big stick... and for two minutes it's like a married couple fighting over the furniture. She pulls the stick to the left, and he moves it right back. A few times they stop and give each other a look.

Eventually she just leaves. After a few minutes of looking around, at 9:00 he takes that big stick and puts it on the opposite side of the nest! Then he admires it for a while, saying... well done. :D

xoxoxoBruce 12-10-2018 01:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I wonder where the honey went, I mean it couldn't just fly away...

xoxoxoBruce 12-10-2018 10:47 AM

I sent that picture to a friend in Canada and she came up with the answer.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bondr%C3%A9e_apivore