The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Health (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Bad News (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=24738)

Big Sarge 03-17-2011 12:17 AM

Bad News

I've had nothing but bad news this week from the doctors. I feel like the VA is playing Russian roulette with my PTSD meds. Today they put me on 1 mgm of Xanax (as needed for anxiety) and 10 mgm of Valuim (bedtime because Ambien was causing problems with dreams). How do they expect people to be able function? I sure can't take this and work.

Next I get the results of a scrotal ultrasound and examination by a urologist. What was initially being treated as epididymatis turns out to be cysts that are linked to prostatitis. The urologist thinks the underlying cause might be linked to my Lupus.

For the final blow, my MRI shows I have a 5mm tumor on my pituitary gland. My primary care doctor is referring me to endocrinology. They think I might have Cushings syndromone. WTF!!!

I'm pissed. I'm scared. I'm falling apart

Bullitt 03-17-2011 12:24 AM

Stay strong big guy. Be as big of an ass you need to be, but don't let anyone leave your sight until they explain things to the point that you can understand. I hate seeing patients who are just tossed to the wind in the healthcare system. Confused, angry, fearful; none of which needs to be the case. You are your own best advocate for your care, so don't take no for an answer.

SamIam 03-17-2011 12:51 AM

Is there any way you can get some second opinions? I am so skeptical of the VA because of the inadequate treatment they gave my Dad when he was still alive.

Have you recently been on corticosteroids? This is what causes Cushings syndrome. Discontinuation of the drug should alleviate the symptoms.

I have PTSD and my clinic has prescribed me an anti-depressant (paxil) and seroquel (a sort of anti-psychotic). I take the seroquel at bedtime and it allows me to sleep. Anti-anxiety agents are only the third line of defense against PTSD. Some researchers feel that they ultimately make PTSD worse! I take clonezapam if I feel I have an anxiety attack coming on.

You need to be your own advocate - especially with the VA. Research your diagnosis and find out what the most accepted treatments are. Make a list of all your questions and concerns and demand that your doctor address these issues for you, no matter how busy he may think he is.

Being pro-active will help your outlook a lot.

Hope your health issues are resolved soon and not as bad as they seem to you tonight.

Gravdigr 03-17-2011 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 717020)
..a scrotal ultrasound and examination by a urologist...

That sounds, uh, fun?:unsure:

Try not get ahead of yourself, docs are always scaring the shit outta people. I think they get off on it.

:comfort:

Griff 03-17-2011 05:29 AM

Bullitt is right on the money make sure you get complete explanations. You can use the internet to your advantage here as well. I'm sorry you're going through this. Is there an advocacy organization for dealing with the VA?

infinite monkey 03-17-2011 07:22 AM

Sheesh Sarge. :(

Take care of yourself.

monster 03-17-2011 08:59 AM

Oh Sarge, I'm sorry. I echo what Bullitt said, keep on at them until you get the answers you need, don't let them play God even if it means you have to get pissy with them.

Undertoad 03-17-2011 09:25 AM

All I know is when I tried Xanax "as needed" I took one quarter the dosage you have there, and in about an hour I was asleep in the middle of the day. It affects everyone differently but 0.25mg is the starter dose for adults, so if they knock you out, try cutting the pill in half and see if it controls your anxiety effects. Shoot for the smallest dose that controls the symptoms. The Xanax will take a half hour to kick in, so don't be impatient with your anxiety in the mean time.

Also Xanax and Valium are in the same general family of drugs, so I don't understand why they gave you both. I wouldn't take them at the same time.

jimhelm 03-17-2011 09:34 AM

keep your chin up Sarge.

Sheldonrs 03-17-2011 12:02 PM

Thinking good, healthy thoughts for you.

Cloud 03-17-2011 12:11 PM

Ugh, sorry. Hope you have a trusted family member or friend who can help you as an advocate.

footfootfoot 03-17-2011 12:33 PM

knowledge is power sarge, www.medlineplus.gov
Eat that elephant one bite at a time.

Nirvana 03-17-2011 01:04 PM

We are here for you big guy!

Gravdigr 03-17-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 717123)
Eat that elephant one bite at a time.

:lol2:

Trilby 03-17-2011 03:31 PM

take heart Big Sarge~! One thing/day/test/doctor at a time, my friend. Keep us posted and we are here for you! :hugs:

Loads of support here!!