The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Weather or not? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=11595)

Pangloss62 08-29-2006 11:08 AM

Weather or not?

What's the atmosphere doing in your area?

Last evening here in the ATL, a line of thunderstorms marched across the city from West to East. As they arrived, they were accompanied by strong outflow (downdrafts) and the concomitant "scud" clouds.

http://www.weather-photography.com/P...d/w-416-05.jpg
This shot is from the Midwest, but it's the same phenomena.

You can't have scud clouds without strong outflow. Such outflow from thunderstorms is relatively cool compared to the air at the surface so it sinks to the ground and then pushes the warmer air up below the storm to create the scud clouds. Then they are caught up in the outflow and streak around the base of the storm. It really is one of my favorite weather-related phenomena. They looked very menacing last night but the storms actually weakened by the time they got to my neighborhood. Nonetheless, for about an hour, it looked like the coming apocalypse.:worried: :eek:

Shawnee123 08-29-2006 11:36 AM

Our local news station saw fit to interrupt programming for hours on end foretelling of the "wet death" that was fixing to destroy our communities.
For God's sake, it's a little summer weather. If our tornado alarm goes off I'll worry but other than that let me get back to Two and a Half Men.;)

bbro 08-29-2006 01:12 PM

Hot and muggy - like a Turkish bath as our resident Russian said. Just waiting until the hurricane brings cooler weather

Pangloss62 08-29-2006 02:40 PM

What's that smell?

In the Summer, when it rains at night and then warms up during the next day, all of downtown ATL smells like urine. During my lunchtime walk to get a sandwich, it seemed that every alcove, every door stoop, every small interstitial space on a building's facade, emanated the dank, foul odor of urine. There must be some kind of pungency rating for cities where you can estimate the number of homeless people by the strength of the urine smell. How's that for atmosphere? :neutral:

Jaydaan 08-29-2006 03:36 PM

All August was much cooler than usual. We stayed, most days, within 20-30C usually its 35+. I am not complaining mind you, cooler weather is nice! I think it has rained once, in 30 days... honestly we need a good rain to decrease the present risk of fires.

breakingnews 08-29-2006 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangloss62
In the Summer, when it rains at night and then warms up during the next day, all of downtown ATL smells like urine.

I have to say, ATL summers are pretty rancid, although not as bad as NYC summers.

ANd whatever, stink is stink, it's bound to happen in any city. Taipei smells like fish guts and pig brains simmering in toxic soup.

My favorite ATL moment is when the vagina flowers bloom in April and it smells like ... well, period vagina.

wolf 08-29-2006 10:27 PM

It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring ...

But we do seem to have made it through the tornado watch without upgrading to a warning.

zippyt 08-29-2006 11:32 PM

it can't deside if it wants to rain , be cool ( Low 80s ) or thunderstorm , but it is HUMID as HELL none the less !!!

Pangloss62 08-30-2006 07:34 AM

What's that smell II?

Quote:

My favorite ATL moment is when the vagina flowers bloom in April and it smells like ... well, period vagina.
I always thought that smelled like, well, semen. Either way, it's a funky, sex smell that's fer sure!:neutral:

Hoof Hearted 08-30-2006 09:51 PM

I'm glad I live rural East of Atlanta! :D
It rains here and it just smells like wet dirt (greatly dislike that smell), wet grass or wet horse (if I happen to be standing next to the horse).

Happy Monkey 08-31-2006 02:41 PM

Check your weather.

Shawnee123 08-31-2006 02:42 PM

Hey, cool link monkey!

glatt 08-31-2006 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey

Shit.

Looks like the rain really is coming for the holiday weekend. This morning I got ready by cleaning the leaves out of the drain by our basement door. The basement floods when that drain gets blocked by leaves and other small debris. A bit of a design flaw on our house. Not too bad, if you remember to keep it clean, but sometimes you forget.

Pangloss62 08-31-2006 02:58 PM

WTF?

Yeah, that's a pretty f'd up circulation. Those storms in IN are going directly East to West. Ernesto gained strength in the last couple of hours (it may be a Cat 1 as I write this). Look at the rain in NC. The Appalachians create orographic uplift and concomitant flooding. Two years ago we had several roadway collapses on the Blue Ridge Parkway from dying hurricanes and tropical storms.:neutral: