The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mississippi outlaws sex toys (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10308)

Tonchi 03-23-2006 01:26 AM

Mississippi outlaws sex toys

I found this today on MSNBC Abrams Report. And I'll bet these same legislators voted against the Clean Air and Water legislation, emmission standards, and school lunches. But thank God, Mississippians are now safe from runaway vibrators :rolleyes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6308419/

• March 21, 2006 | 9:20 a.m. ET

Mississippi outlaws sex toys (Dan Abrams)

There is a landmark legal battle of constitutional proportions being fought down in Mississippi. It involves fundamental rights protected by the First and Fourteenth Amendments, not to mention the rights of certain small business owners to satisfy their customers. This week, another court refused to recognize Mississippians’ right to find companionship for 29.99 and so a law outlawing the sale of sex toys will stand.

“A person commits the offense of distributing unlawful sexual devices when he knowingly sells, advertises, publishes or exhibits to any person any three-dimensional device designed or marketed as useful primarily for the stimulation of human genital organs or offers to do so or possesses such devices with the intent to do so.”

Well, I am glad to see that the local legislators are focusing on the most pressing issues of the day. I’ve long believed that a three-dimensional, possibly battery-operated device is far more menacing than a handgun. In Mississippi, people can buy guns at a gun show with no background check and certain weapons can be carried almost anywhere. Sure, guns and toys can bring joy and a sense of comfort to the user, but apparently the legislators concluded that a genital replica is a far greater threat to society.

This, from a state that levies only an 18-cent tax on cigarettes, 55 cents below the national average and where 62 percent of residents are overweight, making it the fattest state in the country. Yet still the public schools don’t make gym class compulsory. Mississippi’s laws would make you believe sex is the single greatest threat to public safety and well-being. After all, it’s illegal in Mississippi to have sex with someone you’re not married to or to live with someone other than your spouse.

Both can result in a $500 fine and six months in jail. And men are not permitted to be aroused in public. But at least good people are protected from the disfigurement that could result from an accidental electrical overload from a defective toy.

Georgia and Texas have passed similar bans and courts have repeatedly ruled the legislators have the power to do it. I guess the Second Amendment doesn’t say anything about the right to bear a stimulation device.

But the sex activists are not closing up shop in the South Pole just yet. They formed a lobbying group based in Florida called the National Alliance of Adult Trade Organizations or NAATO. Not, of course, to be confused with the other NATO, which is based in Brussels.

I don’t mean to pick on Mississippi. I love the state and the people, but I just don’t get why the legislators are fighting so hard for this law. We’re talking about adults here. It’s not that I really care about ensuring that these toys are ready accessible. Really. It’s just that you have to wonder, is one of these toys really a greater threat to the community than what real live people do to each other every day?

lumberjim 03-23-2006 05:32 AM

maybe they think that if their wives cant buy rubber dongs, they will be hornier, and therfore more likely to give the old codgers some stank on their hanglows.

Griff 03-23-2006 05:47 AM

I bet Arsen is behind this.

Trilby 03-23-2006 06:10 AM

One more reason to avoid Mississippi.

thrillhouse 03-23-2006 11:45 AM

timing is everything.

Urbane Guerrilla 03-23-2006 01:48 PM

What's an Arsen? (...rhymes with an obsolete Russian measure of length [71.12cm]...)

Run recall campaigns against the legislators who proposed and cosponsored this. I don't pay for legislative masturbation on State time, I pay for properly looking out for state interest. This ain't it.

wolf 03-23-2006 01:55 PM

Arsen is Mr. StacyV, I assume, anyway.

Spexxvet 03-23-2006 01:57 PM

Next they'll be cutting off hands!

SteveDallas 03-23-2006 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonchi
. . . the stimulation of human genital organs

Well hmmm what does that leave??
  • Nipple clamps.... check
  • Butt plugs.... check
  • Handcuffs.... check
  • Whips, paddles, etc.... check
  • Ball gags.... check

Maybe they're not prudish. Maybe they're just kinky.

I'll let somebody out parse out alternatives to the "human" bit.

Elspode 03-23-2006 05:02 PM

I think that someone needs to stand up and congratulate Mississippi for having the guts to take action to prevent any unnecessary, non-reproductive sexual activity. Surely it must now be a most favored state in the eyes of the Almighty, in whose sight sex is naughty.

Spexxvet 03-23-2006 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elspode
I think that someone needs to stand up and congratulate Mississippi for having the guts to take action to prevent any unnecessary, non-reproductive sexual activity. Surely it must now be a most favored state in the eyes of the Almighty, in whose sight sex is naughty.

...but feels soooooo good!

xoxoxoBruce 03-23-2006 06:50 PM

Aren't they still behind Texas as most favored?:confused:

busterb 03-23-2006 07:20 PM

Yeah

richlevy 03-23-2006 09:35 PM

Why is it that the states with the least restrictive gun laws seem to have the most restrictive sex laws?

Libertarian? Hah!

cowhead 03-23-2006 09:42 PM

satisfy their customers? heh that goes on too many levels..

religion has people all screwed up, they were also working on a law in Kansas to try to ban sex shops.. and ' home adult entertainment' (no mention of strip clubs) I hadn't checked back since I moved to the land of repentant baptists.. do what ever you want, just say sorry on sunday.