The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Image of the Day (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2/15/2005: Breastfeeding natural in Venezuela (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7761)

Undertoad 02-15-2005 07:40 AM

2/15/2005: Breastfeeding natural in Venezuela

http://cellar.org/2004/breastfeedingvenez.jpg

This one appeared on Yahoo! Most Emailed, which is one of my regular haunts for images; and at first I didn't think much of it, but then jinx forwarded it along as well and she made a great point about it. I add her words here because she says it better than I could.

What a great picture. In the US we still have women having to fight for the 'right' to breastfeed in public and dealing with rude remarks from people suggesting she should 'do that' in the the bathroom - and here's this Venezuelan woman openly breastfeeding while talking to the President of her country. Just imagine GWB in the same situation.

I agree wholeheartedly, with one caution: in most other scenarios, W is a better role model than Chavez.

YellowBolt 02-15-2005 09:58 AM

The guy behind Chavez looks a little reticent about it, though. :)

dar512 02-15-2005 10:03 AM

I don't think reticent is the word. I think I'd have had some problems looking the woman in the eye, too.

jinx 02-15-2005 10:41 AM

Because you just don't see it enough, right? If it were a common sight I doubt you'd give it a second thought.

dar512 02-15-2005 11:33 AM

Probably.

I was being more facetious than anything else. Personally, I think the American culture is overly obsessed with skin.

SteveDallas 02-15-2005 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jinx
Just imagine GWB in the same situation.

I might pay to see that.

YellowBolt 02-15-2005 02:49 PM

Ah, right. NOT reticent that it was, then.

chrisinhouston 02-15-2005 04:29 PM

What's with the baby's shoes?

dasviper 02-15-2005 04:58 PM

Quote:

Because you just don't see it enough, right? If it were a common sight I doubt you'd give it a second thought.

"Sorry boss, I was late to work today because I had to put Preparation H on my asshole". It's perfectly natural and anatomically correct, so why not say it in public? If 'asshole' were a common word, you might not give it a second thought.

It's a free country, which means that people–including the president, or your mayor, or your neighbor–are free to be uncomfortable with public breastfeeding. Why do you put 'right' in quotes as if it's presupposed? I don't have the 'right' to whip out my dong and jack off in public, which is just as natural an act as breastfeeding. So Venezuelans have different hangups than most Americans. Big deal! It's not that hard to find more discreet ways to feed your child. You, and I, may be fine with public breastfeeding, but why should you presume that it should be ok with everyone?

Cultural relativism is weak, and even harmful, when carried to its extremes, but it's useful whenever you get the impulse to assert that one culture with values close to yours is inherently better or more advanced than another with different values. Sometimes it all really is just relative.

Kitsune 02-15-2005 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I find this a really tough balance to deal with in public. Firstly, infants shouldn't be permitted in a number of public places, such as the movie theater, etc, but, if stuffing their mouth with some boob gets them to be quiet, I'm all for it.

It's just, you know, some breasts aren't meant to be seen. And even the good ones get mixed emotion out of me when there's a squirming, squealing, poop-machine parasite trying to deflate it for all its worth.

jinx 02-15-2005 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasviper
I don't have the 'right' to whip out my dong and jack off in public, which is just as natural an act as breastfeeding.... It's not that hard to find more discreet ways to feed your child.

Instead of comparing an infant eating to yourself jacking off, why not compare it to yourself eating - because, well, that makes more sense. It wouldn't be hard for you to feed yourself more discreetly, but why would you? And if you don't feel the need to hide when you eat, why should you expect an infant to? They don't give a fuck who sees them.

Happy Monkey 02-15-2005 05:40 PM

Quote:

In the US we still have women having to fight for the 'right' to breastfeed in public and dealing with rude remarks from people suggesting she should 'do that' in the the bathroom

I'm not willing to eat in a public restroom, and I certainly wouldn't want my baby to.

slang 02-15-2005 05:50 PM

Looks like a nice set. Lucky lil' guy there. :)

Kitsune 02-15-2005 06:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think its about time for a protest. (too obscure of a reference?)

garnet 02-15-2005 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitsune
I think its about time for a protest. (too obscure of a reference?)

I'm embarrassed to admit that I know where that reference is from--my ex was a huge Married With Children fan, and he thought that show was completely hysterical. One of his many annoying habits. :mad2:

But anyway, I have mixed feelings about the public breastfeeding thing. Sure it'd be great if women could do that and nobody gave it a second thought. But we live in the good ol' USA, the same country that freaked out about seeing Janet Jackson's boob exposed for a nanosecond. People are way too uptight about that stuff here, and it only seems to be getting worse.

Personally, I saw a woman breastfeeding at a restaurant recently, and to be perfectly honest it made me a little nauseous. More power to her for taking care of her baby's needs and having the balls (so to speak) to do it in public, but I'm just not so sure I want to see it all over the place.