The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do you know about GOLD? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7994)

Trilby 03-24-2005 11:16 AM

What do you know about GOLD?

I've some gold jewelry (I assume it's gold because of the mark) but the gold "color" varies wildly from piece to piece. Some of it's Italian gold, some Indian gold and some I guess you'd call "generic" gold. Does anyone know anything about why the color disparity?

OnyxCougar 03-24-2005 11:37 AM

I'm not entirely sure, but I think it has to do with impurities in the metal itself.

lookout123 03-24-2005 11:44 AM

correct. the variations 12k, 18k, 24k describe the purity of the gold, the higher the number the higher percentage of gold/other material ratio. that will account for some color variation.

the rest is easily explained. different jewelers use different materials in varying amounts to mix in with the gold. (if they didn't use anything but gold, your ring would bend far to easily).

OnyxCougar 03-24-2005 11:47 AM

Found a nice link.

http://www.dyjewels.com/je_karat.shtml

another link

http://www.eternityweddingbands.com/education_gold.asp

Quote:

Color
Gold does not tarnish or corrode, and while being a very strong metal, it is also the most malleable. Gold is therefore usually mixed, or alloyed, with other metals. This not only hardens it, but also influences the color. For example, white shades (and thus white gold) are achieved by alloying gold with silver, nickel or palladium. Yellow and white gold have very similar malleability and strength.
This is why I can't wear any gold higher than 10K, because it gets bent, folded, spindled and mutilated quickly on me. Chains, rings, bracelets, don't matter. I destroy it.

This is why my wedding ring is aircraft grade titanium.

Troubleshooter 03-24-2005 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
This is why my wedding ring is aircraft grade titanium.

There's always platinum if you need rugged.

Happy Monkey 03-24-2005 01:50 PM

Or carbon fiber composite - it's the same material as diamond! Just less concentrated...

lookout123 03-24-2005 02:13 PM

my wife's is platinum, mine is titanium. both rugged, and for the most part maintain their original look no matter how hard you are on them.

xoxoxoBruce 03-24-2005 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
Or carbon fiber composite - it's the same material as diamond! Just less concentrated...

Easily damaged though, it wouldn't take much of a beating. :(

Clodfobble 03-26-2005 03:49 PM

Ours are both platinum, and while they haven't bent we've both managed to scratch them up pretty badly. I'm still happier than if they were gold though. :)

novice 04-15-2005 02:44 PM

If I remember correctly from my days as a goldminer, when I sent gold to the mint for assay and sale they would return a cheque along with an assessment of the purity. My gold was always 98.5%pure with the impurity being silver hence this was called queensland gold. Italian, french etc is designated by the level and type of impurity of the original gold before it's strengthened with alloys to achieve 18k, 9k etc.
Basically, gold is gold is gold and all thie fancy names they give it is just a marketing ploy to make you enamoured of an inferior purity of gold.
Like 'white gold', sheesh.

dar512 04-15-2005 02:55 PM

Red or rose gold is very cool, by the way. It's made with extra copper.

xoxoxoBruce 04-15-2005 09:31 PM

Black Hills Gold uses the alloys to make different colors of gold.
Quote:

The process of making Black Hills Gold jewelry begins with pure 24 Karat gold. It is alloyed with exact percentages of other metals to achieve a more durable karat quality of 10K, 12K or 14K. The traditional pink and green color gold used for leaves and other details is made when copper or silver is combined with the pure gold.
The original design was gold vines with green gold leaves and pink gold fruit or flowers. :)

tw 04-15-2005 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianna
I've some gold jewelry (I assume it's gold because of the mark) but the gold "color" varies wildly from piece to piece.

I believe it was ABC News that demonstrated how impure so much gold jewelry really is. After all, would you know if it was 14K gold? They even tested Diane Sawyer's earings given to her by her husband. Insufficient gold as I recall. Fraud in jewelry is rampant from what ABC News found.

How Can You Tell If Your Gold Jewelry Is Real?

wolf 04-16-2005 12:24 AM

When I was in college I worked in an antique store that did a lot of estate jewelry. Part of my job involved occasionally testing gold purity. I very occasionally wish I had one of those test kits, but for the most part I buy and wear silver. I have my own test for silver ... I can't wear German Silver or lower because my skin reacts with it, sometimes within minutes. I can only wear Sterling or .999

Roosta 04-16-2005 05:20 PM

Do you have Hallmarking over there or is it just a British thing? Our gold has to be tested and stamped with a mark to indicate it's purity. 9 carat gold would be marked "375" and a mark to indicate which assay office stamped it. (375 indicates 37.5% gold).