The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Technology (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   I hate the new docking stations (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=35337)

Flint 09-18-2020 05:44 PM

I hate the new docking stations

I like the old, 'jam a physical port into the bottom of the laptop' that INSTANTLY wakes up your monitor and peripherals--as soon as those pins touch.

My new work laptop has the new 'plug a USB-C into a little black box' docking station, and I have no idea what it's doing for a few minutes every morning. Does it just wake up and put the login screen on my monitors? Yeah, sometimes, maybe even 90% of the time, if I let it sit for an in indeterminate period. AND-- I have to watch it like a hawk-- because when the login screen pops up, I have about FIVE SECONDS to login before it goes black again. Usually opening and shutting the laptop pops the login back onto the main monitors. Sometimes I have to hit the power button, put it back to sleep, then wake it back up and hope for the best. It's a really shitty way to start the day-- being PISSED OFF before you've even logged in. I hate it.

Plus I've got a janky, 1.5" long adapter jutting out all crooked, directly from the side of my laptop--it's impossible to get a tight, clean fit. This SUCKS compared to the old docking stations. SNAP. YOU'RE CONNECTED. Why'd they change that?

SteveDallas 09-20-2020 01:21 PM

I actually have my docking station (USB-C) cable on a lower shelf of my computer desk, so I just park my laptop there unopened when I'm in the office.

One thing I learned on my personal laptop: Not every USB-C port will let you plug an external video port into it. I know USB has never lived up to the "universal" part of its name, but the C iteration seems to be more confusing and less compatible than before.

tw 09-20-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDallas (Post 1058334)
Not every USB-C port will let you plug an external video port into it. I know USB has never lived up to the "universal" part of its name, but the C iteration seems to be more confusing and less compatible than before.

Never had any problem with USB 1.1 or 2.0. But then my fraternity brother designed the USB standard and hardware. Unfortunately died before USB 3.0 was designed and created.

Clodfobble 09-20-2020 04:17 PM

The mental image of tw in a fraternity is... jarring. I'm going to guess a service fraternity, maybe APO?

xoxoxoBruce 09-22-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

A fraternity is a group of people who work in the same industry or have similar careers. Your dad's fraternity of firefighters holds lots of charity events and get-togethers. Most often, a fraternity is a social club or group made up of men, but it can refer to any organization of people with something in common.

Gravdigr 09-23-2020 01:45 PM

A fraternity of TWs...:bolt: