The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Favorite short stories online (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19561)

Shawnee123 02-17-2009 05:25 PM

Favorite short stories online

I love short stories. The author has to develop a character or idea in a concise manner and with a limited amount of words.

I saw that my favorite short story ever is available for reading online and is linked below. I would think that a lot of newer publications wouldn't be available online. So, if you have a short story you like and it can be found online, post a link here.

If nothing else, I'll read it.

My first submission is The Rocking Horse Winner, by DH Lawrence.

Cloud 02-17-2009 07:05 PM

I hate short stories. Except for my fanfic ones.

Shawnee123 02-17-2009 07:06 PM

Well, thanks for the info. :cool:

Cloud 02-17-2009 07:08 PM

you're welcome. I could give you tons and tons of sites, but I didn't think you'd be interested. If you are a big fan of a particular tv series or something, just google that + fanfic, fanfiction, or anything like that, and you might find something you like.

Shawnee123 02-17-2009 07:11 PM

I doubt it. No offense, but I was talking about real literature.

Cloud 02-17-2009 07:15 PM

right, which is why I didn't offer before.

Shawnee123 02-17-2009 07:27 PM

Oh, it's good. I didn't expect many to warm up to this thread.

No offense to you. If you offer a suggestion, I will read it.

Cicero 02-17-2009 07:37 PM

I heart Lawrence. I recently went to his ranch outside of Taos. I really am surprised at the amount of work that is put into it in the middle of nowhere, considering the short amount of time he spent there. His memorial is there as well. There is an area that you can write him a message. I thought that was great.

Shawnee123 02-17-2009 07:49 PM

I didn't know that he had lived in Taos.

He's one of my top three. Beautiful writing, imho.

:)

Cicero 02-17-2009 07:52 PM

He had a large ranch near Questa. I met a man the other day that was on a trip there before he died. It was on his to-do list as he had written his papers in cilloege on Lawrence. He seemed very excited to finally go after all these years. It was touching really.

Shawnee123 02-17-2009 07:55 PM

I started out this thread with one of my favorite writers...but there are so many more.

For instance, Stephen King wrote some great short stories. Some were made into movies that were also good: Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption. The Body (Stand By Me.)

Just looking for a little lit talk. It doesn't have to be famous, if it's online and you can post it...do it. Don't tell me you hate it all then post nothing.

I'm always open to broadening horizons.

footfootfoot 02-17-2009 09:59 PM

One of my favorite short stories, which I am no longer allowed to tell at bedtime goes:
"Once upon a time, the end."

It levels the playing field a bit.

Shawnee123 02-18-2009 07:37 AM

My ex used to tell that same story.

Another submission in my cricket attraction thread. Read this years ago:

A Mother's Tale by James Agee

Sundae 02-18-2009 08:18 AM

My favourite non-lit story, which I could only find in rull in an audio version. Party Food by Mort Castle.

The classic genre short story in my opinion, in that it leaves you wanting more, far more about the world it is set in. Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut.

I don't really like this short story, but it sticks in my head and I have to reread it periodically. Actually I find most of Mansfield's stories equally painful, the hopelessness and unhappiness of her characters, their unfulfilled desires, trammeled lives and unspoken dreams. This one is that at its apogee in my opinion. Daughters of the Late Colonel by Katherine Mansfield.

I'm not a great short story fan to be honest. Many non-genre short stories just seem to wander about and not achieve much. Children get better short stories with a beginning, a middle and an end - and a happening in between. But even as a child, if I picked a library book up, interested and excited by it, and realised it was a short story book I'd invariably put it back down again.

Oh, I do like Ray Bradbury's though. And Roald Dahl's.

Shawnee123 02-18-2009 08:27 AM

Thanks Sundae...I will read these later. :)

I think what I like about short stories is that they often leave you wanting more. Like any great art, it isn't all given to you. There often is no common beginning, middle, denouement, end...it leaves you to think and wonder about the possibilities. They are a small slice of a life, feasible or not, that speak to a different level in me.